sharetrader
    Guru

ez you are wrong. The tax decrease put everyone, no matter what their level of income was, with enough extra money to off set the GST increase.

It is as bad as Labour screaming now about the tax reductions to come next April as being tax gains for the rich and ignoring the fact that everyone once again benefits. The tax bands were well overdue for raising. The lower ones in particular.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    ez you are wrong. The tax decrease put everyone, no matter what their level of income was, with enough extra money to off set the GST increase.

It is as bad as Labour screaming now about the tax reductions to come next April as being tax gains for the rich and ignoring the fact that everyone once again benefits. The tax bands were well overdue for raising. The lower ones in particular.
    But of course with National, those already at the top will benefit the most. It's a deliberate undoing of the progressive tax base.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    But of course with National, those already at the top will benefit the most. It's a deliberate undoing of the progressive tax base.
    Flatten the tax and they still pay heaps more. High earners generally contibute in a big way to society without being punished by a higher tax rate. A $70,000 income will be taxed at around $15,000 so perfectly fair if $140,000 was taxed at $30,000.

Guru

But of course being Labour, that is how you/they would promote it. The progressive tax base is still there.

Looking at the statistics section of the IRD there are 2,904,380 taxpayers in the country earning. 2,608,920 earn less than $52,000 (the new band). 2,779,750 earn less than the top band ($70,000), that leaves 124,630 taxpayers over $70,000. (4.29%)

And you would want to deny the 2,779.750 a tax cut just because you hate the thought of those earning in the top tax bracket getting $20/week.

Legend

But of course being Labour, that is how you/they would promote it. The progressive tax base is still there.

Looking at the statistics section of the IRD there are 2,904,380 taxpayers in the country earning. 2,608,920 earn less than $52,000 (the new band). 2,779,750 earn less than the top band ($70,000), that leaves 124,630 taxpayers over $70,000. (4.29%)

And you would want to deny the 2,779.750 a tax cut just because you hate the thought of those earning in the top tax bracket getting $20/week.
    That sort of logic falls on deaf ears, blocked by the green eyed monster.

It just makes a mockery of Jacindas empty words about ending poverty and affordable housing. She's not stupid but what better way of shifting those people than to give them more of their own money. So what is her real agenda?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    It just makes a mockery of Jacindas empty words about ending poverty and affordable housing. She's not stupid but what better way of shifting those people than to give them more of their own money. So what is her real agenda?
    Her real agenda is to make NZ the Scandinavia of the southern hemisphere.

I know what EZ will be doing next Saturday - dragging people off the streets into a polling booth

Andre just sent me an email pleading with me to so the same -

Next Saturday, there’ll be Labour Election Day Mobilisation bases right across the country, but we need huge numbers of volunteers ready to hit the phones, go door knocking and help Labour voters get to vote.

.....will you volunteer to get voters to the polls on election day? Whatever time you can spare will make a huge difference.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I know what EZ will be doing next Saturday - dragging people off the streets into a polling booth

Andre just sent me an email pleading with me to so the same -

Next Saturday, there’ll be Labour Election Day Mobilisation bases right across the country, but we need huge numbers of volunteers ready to hit the phones, go door knocking and help Labour voters get to vote.

.....will you volunteer to get voters to the polls on election day? Whatever time you can spare will make a huge difference.
    No I won't, that's on the nose I reckon. Won't achieve anything, and it could be illegal if done the wrong way. I'm going to walk to the local school and vote on the day, then kick back and watch the results. I'll be a bit tired from helping to grab all the signs back on the day before, anyway.

Just saw Jacinda at a Hamilton Theatre, it was packed and standing room only for the last people. Tamati Coffey and Anika Moa were there too, great job done by all and everyone was buzzing. Again Jacinda was mobbed afterwards. Had a brief chat to Annette King.
    Last edited by elZorro; 17-09-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Legend

No I won't, that's on the nose I reckon. Won't achieve anything, and it could be illegal if done the wrong way. I'm going to walk to the local school and vote on the day, then kick back and watch the results. I'll be a bit tired from helping to grab all the signs back on the day before, anyway.

Just saw Jacinda at a Hamilton Theatre, it was packed and standing room only for the last people. Tamati Coffee and Anika Moa were there too, great job done by all and everyone was buzzing. Again Jacinda was mobbed afterwards. Had a brief chat to Annette King.
    I'm not surprised you're leaving it until the last minute, presumably in case Taxcinda comes out with anymore 'let's not do this' moments. Of course, Taxcinda and James Shaw could have a fight to the death dust-up after the nonsense on Q + A today.
    I have no such concerns, so will vote in the morning, then again Tuesday, and daily until Saturday - when I will vote twice; mostly for Act, but a couple for National.