sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Good to hear you're still winning those bets, Craic. Not quite a clean win to National, and Colin James picked that.

Labour has a lot of new List MPs, the Maori Party is gone, Labour has all the Maori seats. Sure the swing wasn't as big as I hoped, and that was partly the low voter turnout and the marketing lies by National.

I hope Winston will see that only about 30% of eligible voters chose National, the "Not National" vote was bigger than that, and also take note that his policies look a lot like Labour's policies. NZ First are running the line that Fed Farmers use, that urban areas also pollute waterways, but really it doesn't stack up. Only 2% of waterways by length have urban runoff, and of course all effluent from urban areas is treated.

If Winston is at all interested in effecting change in NZ "Had Enough?" then he'll wait for the special votes to come in, it should give the Labour/Green block more power, and a Labour/Green/NZ First coalition would be quite achievable and stable. Plus, he'll get the rail up north, and probably Auckland port moved as well. These would all add to his legacy. A legacy for fair play that's already better than John Key mustered.
    Reality check eZ, 63% do not want Labour and a whole 94% do not want the Greens.. You can spin the thing anyway you want. You lost the chance to be the biggest party. And remember while Labour need the Greens they will never be wanted by the majority of voters. Unfortunately with MMP if that is what Winston decides then that is what we get.

Nevertheless, Ardern might be Prime Minister in a three-way deal with the Greens and New Zealand First. That was a near-unthinkable prospect on July 31 and testifies to her extraordinary public appeal..
    The only problem with that is Labour has a Leader with no leadership experience trying to lead a Labour mob with a history of insurrection. Couple that with trying to manage the two leaders of Greens (not one leader since they dont believe in meritocracy) and throw in old guard Winston who is the very personification of what the Labour party biffed out of their leadership ranks. I can only see it ending in tears. Plucky little JacInda wasn't so plucky last night so imagine her after 3 years in that scenario,

Guru

Good to hear you're still winning those bets, Craic. Not quite a clean win to National, and Colin James picked that.

Labour has a lot of new List MPs, the Maori Party is gone, Labour has all the Maori seats. Sure the swing wasn't as big as I hoped, and that was partly the low voter turnout and the marketing lies by National.

I hope Winston will see that only about 30% of eligible voters chose National, the "Not National" vote was bigger than that, and also take note that his policies look a lot like Labour's policies. NZ First are running the line that Fed Farmers use, that urban areas also pollute waterways, but really it doesn't stack up. Only 2% of waterways by length have urban runoff, and of course all effluent from urban areas is treated.

If Winston is at all interested in effecting change in NZ "Had Enough?" then he'll wait for the special votes to come in, it should give the Labour/Green block more power, and a Labour/Green/NZ First coalition would be quite achievable and stable. Plus, he'll get the rail up north, and probably Auckland port moved as well. These would all add to his legacy. A legacy for fair play that's already better than John Key mustered.
    El Z
    From my understanding this fact"and of course all effluent from urban areas is treated' is untrue particularly when storm water systems get overloaded.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    El Z
    From my understanding this fact"and of course all effluent from urban areas is treated' is untrue particularly when storm water systems get overloaded.
    But that's not a deliberate result, the aim is to treat all effluent. Many cities are also doing more with stormwater runoff, screening plastic etc.

While we're sorting out new affordable housing, we could be using some of that roading equipment building 'roads of national significance' leading towards the next traffic jam area, to redo effluent systems for a higher capacity.

In any case, Winston must have seen the mood for change. Will he join it, or will he put NZ back into the degradation pattern that has been established by National?

Legend

But that's not a deliberate result, the aim is to treat all effluent. Many cities are also doing more with stormwater runoff, screening plastic etc.

While we're sorting out new affordable housing, we could be using some of that roading equipment building 'roads of national significance' leading towards the next traffic jam area, to redo effluent systems for a higher capacity.

In any case, Winston must have seen the mood for change. Will he join it, or will he put NZ back into the degradation pattern that has been established by National?
    There is no mood for change. 46% is a huge endorsement in an MMP system.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    There is no mood for change. 46% is a huge endorsement in an MMP system.
    Dead right, if there was a mood for change, Labour would have gotten 46%.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    Morgan thought so, his was definitely the best concession speech. Top effort that - blame the voters and state your contempt for their moral compasses. $3m to discover that people vote based on self interest...
    I think Morgan was starting the campaign for the 2020 election! Good onya Morgs. I hope he stays around - maybe he has got another 8 political lives left. NZ may yet see the red peak flying?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I think Morgan was starting the campaign for the 2020 election! Good onya Morgs. I hope he stays around - maybe he has got another 8 political lives left. NZ may yet see the red peak flying?
    Au contraire. In a three year term more and more people will actually find out what his policies are, and he'll never be heard of again.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Au contraire. In a three year term more and more people will actually find out what his policies are, and he'll never be heard of again.
    After three more years of the same (snafu)...I think he could find at least 5% who could vote for him...

However as Harold Wilson said, a week in politics is a long time. Let alone 3 years.

Guru

[QUOTE=elZorro;685829

I hope Winston will see that only about 30% of eligible voters chose National, the "Not National" vote was bigger than that, and also take note that his policies look a lot like Labour's policies. .[/QUOTE]

I hope Winston will see that only about 24% of eligible voters chose Labour, the "Not Labour" vote was huge, also take not that he loathes James Shaw and the Greens.

You can spin it anyway you like.