sharetrader
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'm not that keen on Prebble's advice. The price disincentive will make its mark over the years, and hopefully there are smaller proportions of youths taking up smoking now. Working on the sugar issue will be much harder.

Labour moves to ban foreign buyers bidding on existing homes. Virtually no issues about that, but they have to work fast before the TPP-II talks.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ee-trade-clash
    Yes they have quickly found what appears to be a legitimate way to do this. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference whatsoever on house prices, that are already slowing significantly in Auckland. I don't know how we will ever know if this works or not but good on them for doing what they said they would

Agree FP. Prebble simply made an observation about the negative effect of taxes. Quite an astute and real life observation.
    Last edited by iceman; 01-11-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes they have quickly found what appears to be a legitimate way to do this. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference whatsoever on house prices, that are already slowing significantly in Auckland. I don't know how we will ever know if this works or not but good on them for doing what they said they would
    It won't make a measurable difference to house prices.
    That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done to to fix a 'fundamental issue'.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Agree FP. Prebble simply made an observation about the negative effect of taxes. Quite an astute and real life observation.
    You pay taxes to ensure a fair an just society.
    Prebble is well past his use by date along with Anderton an Burdon and other retired MPs who try to influence public opinion. Prebble with his policies probably caused more poverty than he would care to admit.

A tax on sugar at source, ie on sugar itself would be all that is required
    westerly

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    It won't make a measurable difference to house prices.
    That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done to to fix a 'fundamental issue'.
    It may or may not make a measurable difference to house prices but confining overseas buyers to building new houses will almost certainly tighten the supply of building capacity across the industry - that is, if overseas buyers are the problem that some maintain. An unintended consequence to slow the desired increased supply of affordable housing in NZ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    It may or may not make a measurable difference to house prices but confining overseas buyers to building new houses will almost certainly tighten the supply of building capacity across the industry - that is, if overseas buyers are the problem that some maintain. An unintended consequence to slow the desired increased supply of affordable housing in NZ?
    We need more houses built so any building capacity issues were going to happen no matter who purchases them.
    It will also stop overseas people selling to each other at inflated prices which happens to some extent.
    Last edited by dobby41; 01-11-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    We need more houses built so any building capacity issues were going to happen no matter who purchases them.
    It will also stop overseas people selling to each other at inflated prices which happens to some extent.
    That's true, but isn't the big push to be on affordable homes, not diverting resources to the supposed investment/trophy houses that overseas absentee owners favour?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    That's true, but isn't the big push to be on affordable homes, not diverting resources to the supposed investment/trophy houses that overseas absentee owners favour?

We'll have to see if it does rather than assume now that it will.

Advanced Member

Cool

A funny thing about sugar. If I buy a small packet of the round sugar lumps that you drop into beer bottles as you fill them, a supervisor has to be called to approve the purchase because they are alcohol related. In the same trolley I have ten one kilo bags of sugar that I intend to convert into alcohol but that is ignored. And if you are rolling down the road behind a Fonterra tanker and you are having nice thoughts about milk and cows and the richness of our nation - It may be a tank full of ethanol made from unwanted lactose on its way to a facility to be mixed with essence (from the UK) which will make into Jamaican Rum or someother

Encouraging home ownership was the cause of the GFC ..... so is nz heading to recessionary times.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    A funny thing about sugar. If I buy a small packet of the round sugar lumps that you drop into beer bottles as you fill them, a supervisor has to be called to approve the purchase because they are alcohol related. In the same trolley I have ten one kilo bags of sugar that I intend to convert into alcohol but that is ignored. And if you are rolling down the road behind a Fonterra tanker and you are having nice thoughts about milk and cows and the richness of our nation - It may be a tank full of ethanol made from unwanted lactose on its way to a facility to be mixed with essence (from the UK) which will make into Jamaican Rum or someother
    More likely to be Broken Shed or VDK6100 Vodka, potentially a local Gin or indeed an RTD and the ethanol is usually made from deproteinated whey a byproduct from making casein.

Source:
    https://moorewilsons.co.nz/broken-sh...and-vodka.html
    http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-service...201.6%20MB.pdf