sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    In reality question time is about theatre and politics and has no real meaning.
    You are kind. I just see Question Time as a job creation programme.

All it achieves (other than the entertainment) is work for public servants who get to run around every week pulling out information, drawing a wage and achieving nothing. At least Minsters from time to time get an opportunity to answer a patsy question: from own benches - "Minister do you believe you Ministry of {insert whatever you like} is doing a good Job" "yes it is blah blah blah" saving the public servants a fair bit of effort which is good since we wouldn't want to tire them out.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    You are kind. I just see Question Time as a job creation programme.

All it achieves (other than the entertainment) is work for public servants who get to run around every week pulling out information, drawing a wage and achieving nothing. At least Minsters from time to time get an opportunity to answer a patsy question: from own benches - "Minister do you believe you Ministry of {insert whatever you like} is doing a good Job" "yes it is blah blah blah" saving the public servants a fair bit of effort which is good since we wouldn't want to tire them out.
    I was told on a school visit by an MP that they have question time because the people expect it.
    I don't and I wonder if anyone really does.
    As a back bencher his job was to fill a few seats and cheer for his side a bit.

That would have been Gerry in the early days? Not a bad job for $160,000 + perks

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    That would have been Gerry in the early days? Not a bad job for $160,000 + perks
    Actually someone much closer to Hamilton (one of the 2 blue ones in Hamilton and has never been in cabinet).

Advanced Member

I was told on a school visit by an MP that they have question time because the people expect it.
    I don't and I wonder if anyone really does.
    The Opposition does not have access to the same resources and information that the Government does. In QT yesterday, for example, the Opposition asked for a BIM to be tabled. This was denied by the Speaker as info from it was only referred to by Mr Twyford, not quoted. QT is one way to get official answers.

And there is a complete record of the Q & A in Hansard.

Ministers will not be able to continue to give vague answers. I imagine Mr Joyce will continue to ask his very specific budget questions until they are answered.

Did the MP visiting your school say that people expect QT is the ONLY reason for it? Seems very unlikely.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Ministers will not be able to continue to give vague answers. I imagine Mr Joyce will continue to ask his very specific budget questions until they are answered.

Did the MP visiting your school say that people expect QT is the ONLY reason for it? Seems very unlikely.
    National got away with less than complete answers for all their time in govt.

ONLY reason - sort of implied it really. It was a few years ago now.
    It stacks up with what I have observed - often you just wish they'd answer the question rather than beat about the bush - but that's politics really.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Ministers will not be able to continue to give vague answers.
    Memory is getting a bit hazy but as I recall there is a requirement for the question to be answered. But there is no standard to measure if the answer was full and adequate. Guess that why they have supplementaries.

Legend

Actually someone much closer to Hamilton (one of the 2 blue ones in Hamilton and has never been in cabinet).
    Interesting, Dobby. I wonder if it was MP David Bennett. I hear that he in particular doesn't deal with the hoi polloi too much, leaves it to staff. He's really good at going door-door though, these are taxpayer-funded highly paid walks, designed to keep himself in office primarily.

If you want any other proof of his level of effort, listen to this rant in parliament recently, from the opposition back-benches. He had only in late 2016 been given some low-level portfolio work, after more than 11 years as an MP. Not too many people down in Wellington trust him, would be my take on that.

https://youtu.be/f58IprRx8vk
    Last edited by elZorro; 12-11-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Heather says the new lot are just like the old lo ...espnthe questionable truthfulness bit.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11942657

Well that didn't take long. Two weeks and the paint has started to chip off the new Government. After a couple of moments of questionable truthfulness over the last week, the new mob are starting to look a lot more like the last lot, where truthfulness wasn't a high priority.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Good that we are going to get more favourable trade deals now that TPP has hit some roadblocks.....even better than we would have expected under TTP

Well done Jacinda ...and David of course
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”