sharetrader
    Advanced Member

This is a great day for me. The election result doesn't matter a scrap to me. I've turned eighty and I/We will get our pension regardless. We do not have to save for a house or to educate children or anything else. We have enough each week to feed ourselves and pay all the insurances and other bills and we save a few bob for holidays and $10 per week for the Christmas feasting. My horses won today and I bottled two and a half dozen bottles of beer. The fresh water is falling on the roof and there's not a single cowup there

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    This is a great day for me. The election result doesn't matter a scrap to me. I've turned eighty and I/We will get our pension regardless. We do not have to save for a house or to educate children or anything else. We have enough each week to feed ourselves and pay all the insurances and other bills and we save a few bob for holidays and $10 per week for the Christmas feasting. My horses won today and I bottled two and a half dozen bottles of beer. The fresh water is falling on the roof and there's not a single cowup there
    Craic, good to hear you're back in fine form. I think the general thrust of your argument is that anyone who works hard and sticks to their knitting, can get to a good retirement situation independent of the political party in power. But of course National is better. In what way, is never discussed, they're just better.

I should remind you that Labour brought in universal superannuation, Winston/NZ First brought you the Gold Card, and the Greens and Labour want to ensure the water flowing onto and off your property and all through NZ is in swimmable condition, within a generation.

Labour want to see the burden of families paying for tertiary education is reduced, back to a system closer to what an earlier generation enjoyed. These are aspirational targets that have fired up younger voters, and should be of interest to all NZers.

I like the sounds Winston is making today. He said it was a good idea to wait for the final results. Yep, the Greens gained one, Labour gained one, National lost two. He says the party policies are important. Again, a very good sign.

By the time that beer of yours is ready to consume Craic, I hope you'll be toasting ambivalently for the Labour-Greens-NZFirst coalition, holding the power at last.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Craic, good to hear you're back in fine form. I think the general thrust of your argument is that anyone who works hard and sticks to their knitting, can get to a good retirement situation independent of the political party in power. But of course National is better. In what way, is never discussed, they're just better.

I should remind you that Labour brought in universal superannuation, Winston/NZ First brought you the Gold Card,
    Interestng point that. I have never found a use for mine. I suppose if I want to go to Auckland I can get a free boat trip - but they are next to useless.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Interestng point that. I have never found a use for mine. I suppose if I want to go to Auckland I can get a free boat trip - but they are next to useless.
    W69 likes the ferry I think. But you can use off-peak public transport in Dunners, according to the website. Well, virtually free. And that's just the start.

https://www.supergold.govt.nz/

Superannuation started in 1898 or so, but it was means tested from age 60. The first Labour government dropped the means test from age 65 onwards, in 1938.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Voters who wanted National out would hardly have voted for Winston First.
    I know a person who did exactly that, they almost voted labour because they were fearful Winnie would side with National. Don't presume to know people's reasons for voting and expecting your logic to be applicable to all voters.

Advanced Member

A strong Labour voter who is a friend of mine and Maori, refused to vote Labour because she detests the Greens - there are many permutations of public opinion. I think I was once a member of Winnies party years ago. As to the Gold Card it was useless to us until last year when a bus company decided to run a bus to our area.

What a spectacle: Yesterday we could see a tail lookin for a dog to wag first test-wagging a blue dog and afterwards the same tail test-wagging a red dog. Of particular interest: the red dog had already a (green) tail, but did hide it so that the other tail couldn't see it. Apparently the green tail is not worried if its dog attaches itself to a second tail who will wag the dog (and the green tail - I suppose).

What a time to be green tail ... and what a spectacle if these 2 tails start at some stage wagging together ... tail wags dog wags tail ... I am sure this will be worth every of our hard earned tax dollars ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    You might like to try contributing to threads with actual topics. This one is running to 967 pages of noise
    And 4 of the next 7 posts came from you. Who is making all the noise?

westerly

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    And 4 of the next 7 posts came from you. Who is making all the noise?

westerly
    Thank you for your contribution. An audit will show I have contributed about 10 posts out of 968 pages.(Just doing my bit to get it to 967 pages!)

AWOL

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    What a spectacle: Yesterday we could see a tail lookin for a dog to wag first test-wagging a blue dog and afterwards the same tail test-wagging a red dog. Of particular interest: the red dog had already a (green) tail, but did hide it so that the other tail couldn't see it. Apparently the green tail is not worried if its dog attaches itself to a second tail who will wag the dog (and the green tail - I suppose).

What a time to be green tail ... and what a spectacle if these 2 tails start at some stage wagging together ... tail wags dog wags tail ... I am sure this will be worth every of our hard earned tax dollars ...
    Surely you are not suggesting the country has gone to the dogs?