sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by Minerbarejet View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting the country has gone to the dogs?
    Now you are mentioning it ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 09-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerbarejet View Post
    Surely you are not suggesting the country has gone to the dogs?
    I think that the green dog is about to be eaten. I imagine Labour run by winnie and the Greens trying to get a word in edgewise? If the Greens had half a brain they would be seeking an arrangement with National to form a government. It looks more like a National/NZ First Govt with the Greens holding the Labour oppositions hand.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    I think that the green dog is about to be eaten. I imagine Labour run by winnie and the Greens trying to get a word in edgewise? If the Greens had half a brain they would be seeking an arrangement with National to form a government. It looks more like a National/NZ First Govt with the Greens holding the Labour oppositions hand.
    Make a lot of sense, but don't count on it.

Hands up who would want to be James Shaw. Potentially, with Jacinda as your leader, and Winston as the deputy leading from the front. And nipping at your heels Julie Anne Genter, Eugenie Sage and Jan Logoie. Whats the opposite to a "match made in heaven"?

IMO

Be fantastic if greens finally get to action environmental issues at last in conjunction with labour.

Landowners selling water what a farce

"$1 a cubic metre I think personally undervalues what the water can produce. If you look at what each cubic metre ..."

"But in the absence of charges from central or local Government, a market for water has sprung up anyway. One consultancy, Hydro Traders, is helping landowners sell water from the Selwyn-Waimakiriri and Selwyn-Rakaia areas in amounts usually ranging from 50 million to 500 million litres a year (50,000- 500,000 cubic metres) for prices of roughly $50,000 to $500,000 (based on the ten most recent sales).

One particularly large trade in 2015 allowed the buyer to take more than 2 billion litres of water annually from the Hurunui River, with a daily limit of 15 million litres. Wellington City, by comparison, uses 30 billion litres of water a year for household and industrial purposes.
    The sales are often happening in catchments where councils have belatedly realised they have given out more extraction rights than rivers can stand, meaning a landowner's prospects of getting a new permit, or increasing an existing one, are slim to non-existent. Most of the confirmed trading is happening in Canterbury, although Otago also has high numbers of water transfers between landowners (though not necessarily trading for money) and there are anecdotal reports of water sales from Marlborough.
    The man facilitating much of the trading in Canterbury — Hydro Traders' managing director Anthony Davoren — believes water should be selling for more. "$1 a cubic metre I think personally undervalues what the water can produce. If you look at what each cubic metre of water can produce and the long-term average of various commodities, whether it's wheat or barley or potatoes or milk solids or red meat protein, that water is probably a little undervalued," says Davoren."
    When the river runs dry: The true cost of NZ water

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Hands up who would want to be James Shaw. Potentially, with Jacinda as your leader, and Winston as the deputy leading from the front. And nipping at your heels Julie Anne Genter, Eugenie Sage and Jan Logoie. Whats the opposite to a "match made in heaven"?
    "Don't play with matches?"
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

It's a plotline that even the writers of 'Yes, Prime Minister' or even 'House of Cards' would have shelved for being so farcical that it shred the suspension of disbelief that is inherent in any fictional depiction.

Effectively the person in the black hat has something that the person in the blue hat and the person in the red hat wants - neither of them want to share what the person in the black hat is offering.

The person in the black hat has sworn the person in the blue hat and the person in the red hat to secrecy because if either of them knows what respectively the other has put on the table then the black hat's advantage from information asymmetry is removed.

If the person in the red hat and the person in the blue hat got together and agreed a common price for what they would offer the person in the black hat, then the person in the black hat might not provide it to either of them and threaten either of them for the next 3 years with a terrible consequence but only if the persons in the red and blue hats respectively wanted to allow the person in the black hat to deliver that consequence on the other.

On the other hand, the person in the green hat also has something that the person in the red hat needs along with what the person in the black hat is offering - but because the person in the green hat is either naive or has principles, the person in the green hat's promise that they would only give it to the person in the red hat and never to the person in the blue hat means....

The person in the red hat is talking to the person in the green hat but can't tell them what they are offering the person in the black hat;
    The person in the red hat is talking to the person in the green hat but also can't tell them what the person in the black hat is asking for in return for what the person in the red hat AND the person in the green hat apparently want together;
    The person in the red hat and the person in the black hat agree to what is being given by the person in the red hat AND the person in the green hat.

Oddly, because the person in the black hat hasn't told the person in the red hat OR the person in the blue hat who they would give their valued commodity to then it makes it much more valuable than whatever the green hat brings even though the value of the green hat's thing of value and the black hat's thing of value is pretty much similar.

There's also a person with a yellow hat but what they have got is irrelevant and in any case, the person with the yellow hat only wants to play with the person in the blue hat but that only happens if the person in the black hat wants to play with the person in the blue hat and the person in the black hat won't play with the person in the yellow hat.

No wonder the young aren't interested in deciding the value of what the persons in the red hat, blue hat, green hat, black hat and yellow hat have... especially when the person in the black hat never tells anyone how or what that person wants.
    Last edited by Rep; 09-10-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: I repeated person in the hat once too often

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Labour want to see the burden of families paying for tertiary education is reduced, back to a system closer to what an earlier generation enjoyed. These are aspirational targets that have fired up younger voters,
    I dont know on what basis you think young voters were fired up. 28% of 18 - 24 year olds didn't even bother to register. In fact, its your 35 plus years olds who were fired up enough to register to vote - this lot had over 96% enrolled to vote. Your 55 - 59 year olds were right on to it with 99.5% of eligible voters registers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Be fantastic if greens finally get to action environmental issues at last in conjunction with labour.

"But in the absence of charges from central or local Government, a market for water has sprung up anyway. One consultancy, Hydro Traders, is helping landowners sell water from the Selwyn-Waimakiriri and Selwyn-Rakaia areas in amounts usually ranging from 50 million to 500 million litres a year (50,000- 500,000 cubic metres) for prices of roughly $50,000 to $500,000 (based on the ten most recent sales).

One particularly large trade in 2015 allowed the buyer to take more than 2 billion litres of water annually from the Hurunui River, with a daily limit of 15 million litres.
    Just so you know JT, the Hurunui is currently flowing at 250 cumecs a second. That means 250,000 liters are flowing a second. 1 million litres in 4 seconds. 15 million litres in a minute. That is 1/1440 of current capacity.

The Waimaks currently flowing at 350 cumecs a second - do the math)

Stop sea level rise - sell more river water!

AWOL

I take my hat off to you, Rep.
    Outstanding.