sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Does someone know something or is the market being stupid. National just got matched at 1.11 and Labour at 10's. Or is it a mug punter taking a position?
    Winston probably placing his bets. I think he used to be minister of gambling (or was it racing?) and might get this position as well?

Who knows ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    What betting site? I couldn't find it only a site that had closed betting on the NZ Govt. 1.11 is odds on or you get to make one dollar for every 11 you outlay and that would suggest that the bookie knows as much as Winston Peters
    www.betfair.com

THe market is still open because its the market of who will provide the next PM. Although it was probably a false alarm as the odds are more to where they were earlier today. That said its pretty thin at the moment. National best bid is 1.21 and Labour 2.22, although this morning there was heaps to be had on National at 1.52, that is all gone now.

Are we there yet ????????????????? I am sure I'm not the only one sick of being held hostage. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Are we there yet ????????????????? I am sure I'm not the only one sick of being held hostage. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.
    Remember - it is the tail wagging not one but two dogs - a trick your beagles probably still need to work on .

I guess we need to give Winnie some credit for the high art of circus - and practising for this just takes a bit longer;

BTW - I gave up waiting ... I am sure at some stage the markets will tell us what the outcome of Winnie's consideration might be, no matter whether we want to know or not.
    ----

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Attachment 9231

NZ First board meeting.
    LOL that's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    ... I am sure I'm not the only one sick of being held hostage.......
    This whole "we are being held hostage" is a crock of sh1te. No we arent!

Just like last time the world keeps turning. We have a fully functioning public service, laws that were passed are still being implemented, bureaucrats are still working on projects. We even have a government in place if executive orders need to be passed. You can still go to your local MP and complain about the neighbours dog barking all day or try to get an extension of your work visa. And (surprisingly) our share market seems unperturbed.

The only thing we dont know is what the legislative programme looks like. Given there are really no hugely pressing issues (the poor still keep getting fed their benefits, the un-housed still get access to motels the rain is still falling freely into our rivers and no matter what nothing we do or dont do will alter the climate changing) it doesn't matter that law changes aren't being drafted.

Kinda suits some of us who prefer less government. But I can see those that like lots of government intervention will be starting to get a bit toey.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Remember - it is the tail wagging not one but two dogs - a trick your beagles probably still need to work on .
    Given the intelligence of Beagles I'm surprised they would even know where there tail was. Scroll right to the very bottom! http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    This whole "we are being held hostage" is a crock of sh1te. No we arent!

Just like last time the world keeps turning. We have a fully functioning public service, laws that were passed are still being implemented, bureaucrats are still working on projects. We even have a government in place if executive orders need to be passed. You can still go to your local MP and complain about the neighbours dog barking all day or try to get an extension of your work visa. And (surprisingly) our share market seems unperturbed.

The only thing we dont know is what the legislative programme looks like. Given there are really no hugely pressing issues (the poor still keep getting fed their benefits, the un-housed still get access to motels the rain is still falling freely into our rivers and no matter what nothing we do or dont do will alter the climate changing) it doesn't matter that law changes aren't being drafted.

Kinda suits some of us who prefer less government. But I can see those that like lots of government intervention will be starting to get a bit toey.
    You have a point - but just to a point.

Significant parts of the economy are currently on hold. Sure - the supermarkets are still selling milk, but nobody in their right mind would start a new housing project without knowing whether they perhaps miss out some subsidies the new government might come up with. Companies are holding back investments for the same reasons and might be as well very careful to make new employment commitments until they know whether they are later on able to control their employment cost (remembers Winnie's crazy minimum wage or as well Labours ideas of empowering the unions).

Turn it like you will - uncertainty creates lost opportunity cost. We all will pay for them.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 16-10-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Given the intelligence of Beagles I'm surprised they would even know where there tail was. Scroll right to the very bottom! http://petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html
    http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/beagle/ Yes, and No but anyway look how cute they are and all sins and shortcomings are quickly forgotten !!!!
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Legend

Winston's board meeting predicted to go on for several hours yet. Something tells me that one or two of the Winstons don't agree with the head Winston, cos the head Winston has known since before the election. Maybe they will park themselves on the cross-benches.