sharetrader
    Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    . . . glad I have most of my shares and income in foreign currency earnings so personally quite satisfied with the NZ$ weakening 👍
    Given what happened with the GBP and the FTSE after the Brexit referendum, It could be quite optimistic for the New Zealand share investor.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    Only positive I can see is that the NZ dollar is plummeting and so my foreign shares shoot up.
    Would hardly say the dollar plummeted.....I had hoped for more....< 0.65 sounds good.

Cheers
    RTM

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Dollar dropping like a stone.....
    NZ will be the envy of countries around the world. Most countries are trying to debase/devalue their currency to make their exporters more competitive. If the new govt is responsible they have done well even before moving into the beehive. NZ as an exporting/trading nation just got more competitive. Sad about the boomers annual overseas holidays though. Maybe they can visit other parts of NZ, we have a great country.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    NZ will be the envy of countries around the world. Most countries are trying to debase/devalue their currency to make their exporters more competitive. If the new govt is responsible they have done well even before moving into the beehive. NZ as an exporting/trading nation just got more competitive. Sad about the boomers annual overseas holidays though. Maybe they can visit other parts of NZ, we have a great country.
    We do have a great country.. But there's a huge price to pay for devaluing the currency - called inflation. We are not an exporting country, we are a trading country and lower currency raises the price of most things. Expect big demands for wage increases. Make sure you're in a position to benefit from inflation. No show of meeting target of 200 houses per week if immagration is cut leading to shortage of tradesmen - and building material costs will rise. Unbelievable to hear Peters preaching doom and gloom on the economy even before the coalition ink is dry.
    Good luck to this govt. I'm not sure who, if any, will benefit from this arrangement. Obviously not my cap of tea, and I struggle looking at Peters' track record to believe this will last, especially as so many policies between L and W1st conflict, and with a degree of instability as they are a minority govt. without the Greens. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    We do have a great country.. But there's a huge price to pay for devaluing the currency - called inflation.
    And who are the biggest victims of inflation - those in poverty. The few things they can now afford are only going to get more expensive.

Permanent Newbie

Minimoke and FP I guess you can put a negative spin on anything. As you may know I have been very unhappy about the unending attempts to raise inflation as I see it as ripping off the savers to help the borrowers. From what I read the whole world is trying to induce inflation to achieve this, so from what your saying before even setting foot into the beehive the new govt. has not only made NZ more competitive with a lower dollar but will help the Reserve bank meet its 2% inflation target without the need to drop interest rates further. I was under the impression this was a left leaning bleeding heart type govt dishing out money to no-hopers while robbing the rich of their hard earned wealth. It turns out they are also financial geniuses who will be the envy of govts and central banks across the western world.

Advanced Member

Just a matter of having your investments in another country if the currency rate bothers you. My shares are through a multi- currency with the ANZ bank. Most investors won't be bothered.

It'sthe end of NZF and Winston Peters (see also the LDP Party in the UK and many other cases of the minor coalition party being dragged right down/wiped out in the polls). Interesting thing, will it last 3 years? Ill health/bye-elections, defections by mavericks, fit of pique by Winston, Green Party discover they do have a backbone somewhere....

Minimoke and FP I guess you can put a negative spin on anything.
    No I just call it as I see it. First thing that will go up is petrol. That means it is going to be more expensive for low paid workers to get to work. It means freight costs will go up so hungry people will pay more for the little bits of food they can afford to pay. Imported housing materials will go up in price so rents may rise as more pressure is put on landlords to make comfy houses. How is inflation good for peopel in poverty.

. has not only made NZ more competitive with a lower dollar
    NZ, as an exporter will become more competitive for those companies that do not import materials. A prime example is education with about $4b in overseas earnings going to GDP. Trouble with that is lots of those earnings are based on education where you get a work permit which people see as a pathway to residency. Guess what. Cut immigration numbers, cut education, cut overseas earnings.
    but will help the Reserve bank meet its 2% inflation target
    Isn't Winston going to have a hand on this particular tiller - we can expect changes to the Reserve Bank Act.
    It turns out they are also financial geniuses who will be the envy of govts and central banks across the western world.
    Big call!

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    We do have a great country.. But there's a huge price to pay for devaluing the currency - called inflation. We are not an exporting country, we are a trading country and lower currency raises the price of most things. Expect big demands for wage increases. Make sure you're in a position to benefit from inflation. No show of meeting target of 200 houses per week if immagration is cut leading to shortage of tradesmen - and building material costs will rise. Unbelievable to hear Peters preaching doom and gloom on the economy even before the coalition ink is dry.
    Good luck to this govt. I'm not sure who, if any, will benefit from this arrangement. Obviously not my cap of tea, and I struggle looking at Peters' track record to believe this will last, especially as so many policies between L and W1st conflict, and with a degree of instability as they are a minority govt. without the Greens. Time will tell.
    Fungus
    Drove through the Octagon today. So far no gatherings of peasants with pitchforks .But then again...you never know.