sharetrader
Page 1007 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 75079079579971003100410051006100710081009101010111017105711071507 ... LastLast
Results 10,061 to 10,070 of 16077
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I don't like trusts either, accountants seem to like them, so that's not a great recommendation is it? I believe in standing by your good name and your spouse, too.

Regarding a post at the UN, I didn't know that generally their salaries are exempt from tax. The difference there is that Helen Clark applied for a job and won it, despite fierce competition. All of those rules and perks were laid out already, she accepted the terms.

However, John Key worked his way up to be the National Party leader within a short period of time, didn't do his groundwork (so obvious now) and has become PM. It's not a highly paid job, the hours are long, and he's supposed to pay tax on his income in NZ. He could behave like many ministers before him, and buy farms, forestry blocks, houses, commercial buildings etc, thus defraying his income with interest and trying to ensure a net capital gain over the period, until he steps down. John's more likely to be playing the markets, and he won't want to be doing that openly. A foreign trust or overseas vehicle would be perfect for that. Hence, IMO, the extreme evasion with the questioning from Guyon.
    El Z, Key has said publicly he has two trusts, one a blind trust (ie one he has nothing to do with the running of, as H Clarke did before him) and another which he probably holds his personal assets in eg house. Both are based here. I think you are getting out of hand with all this baseless innuendo.

As I recall Key also donates his PM salary to charity, if I remember correctly from when he was first elected.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    El Z, Key has said publicly he has two trusts, one a blind trust (ie one he has nothing to do with the running of, as H Clarke did before him) and another which he probably holds his personal assets in eg house. Both are based here. I think you are getting out of hand with all this baseless innuendo.

As I recall Key also donates his PM salary to charity, if I remember correctly from when he was first elected.
    Jonu, there are other "vehicles" besides trusts that can be used, apparently. Could a blind trust in NZ be linked to another trust or vehicle, for example? John did say he uses the 'best people' for his tax affairs. Now you and I both know that's a reference not to their ethical position, but more on tax minimisation help 'within the rules'. He has to insulate himself from investments that would otherwise appear on the register. He surely knows a lot more about trusts than he's letting on.

Finally, that is a very old folk tale about John Key giving away his PM salary. He might donate a portion of it to charity, who knows. But he has never confirmed he's giving it all away, and yet people like yourself continue to trot that out as though it's the truth? Prove it, that'll be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elZorro; 12-04-2016 at 07:14 AM.

Advanced Member

One of the biggest charities in the country, The Labour Party, seems to be a little short on donations lately. But then its financial woes match it obvious drop in goodwill.

Guru

Jonu, there are other "vehicles" besides trusts that can be used, apparently. Could a blind trust in NZ be linked to another trust or vehicle, for example? John did say he uses the 'best people' for his tax affairs. Now you and I both know that's a reference not to their ethical position, but more on tax minimisation help 'within the rules'. He has to insulate himself from investments that would otherwise appear on the register. He surely knows a lot more about trusts than he's letting on.

Finally, that is a very old folk tale about John Key giving away his PM salary. He might donate a portion of it to charity, who knows. But he has never confirmed he's giving it all away, and yet people like yourself continue to trot that out as though it's the truth? Prove it, that'll be interesting.
    El Z, I recall him saying it (about his salary) when he was first elected. I don't know if he still does.

As for the trusts, all you have brought up is more baseless innuendo. I actually don't like Key. I think he is a moral jellyfish. But I think it unfair to sling mud in desperation.

Like you and me Key will get a tax rebate on his donations to charites as well
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    El Z, I recall him saying it (about his salary) when he was first elected. I don't know if he still does.

As for the trusts, all you have brought up is more baseless innuendo. I actually don't like Key. I think he is a moral jellyfish. But I think it unfair to sling mud in desperation.
    Maybe it's unfair, but I haven't seen JK so rattled since "Dirty Politics". There's something going on. Compare with Andrew Little, he's going to show us his tax return, no problem.

Guru

Maybe it's unfair, but I haven't seen JK so rattled since "Dirty Politics". There's something going on. Compare with Andrew Little, he's going to show us his tax return, no problem.
    Perhaps we should all go around with our tax returns taped to our foreheads. and lists of our personal indiscretions while we are at it. Where does it stop El Z?

Unfortunately, most of us as will not be mentioned in those Panama papers. So will elZorro be unmasked and willing to show us his tax return too

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    Unfortunately, most of us as will not be mentioned in those Panama papers. So will elZorro be unmasked and willing to show us his tax return too
    My tax return at the moment would be a very dismal affair. I told you all manufacturing is mostly in the doldrums since the GFC and National got in, and Glass Earth put me off investing in the sharemarket.

Now I passed Politics101 a long time ago (no bull) and of the very few things I remember, it was that politicians are our representatives, and have to be almost purer than the driven snow. That's why some of them step down at least temporarily, after even minor scrapes like buying wine on their ministerial credit cards. So it is proper that an MP would be able to back up their word and produce a tax return if they were asked. You know we'll never get one out of John Key, because it won't line up with what he's saying most likely.

He is a pathological liar, that's what I think at the moment. Filter everything he says, because he just makes stuff up on the fly.

. I told you all manufacturing is mostly in the doldrums since the GFC and National got in, and Glass Earth put me off investing in the sharemarket.

Found this interesting chart. Has NZ GDP per capita over the years broken down into 'tradables' which in this case is the Primary Industries (agriculture, forestry and fishing) and Manufacturing sectors. All other industry sectors are in Rest

Seems primary industries and manufacturing were in the decline before Nats took over ... and hasn't been doing too badly over the last few years
    Last edited by winner69; 12-04-2016 at 02:25 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”