sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I don't feel that at all. The posters on TS are often very bright, from what I see. Grumpy, worried, frustrated, sure.

[/URL]
    Im not sure elZorro. From what I have seen there, there is a lot of name calling, backstabbing, the language used would make my teenager blush and by their own admission its not a safe place for women to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I don't feel that at all. The posters on TS are often very bright, from what I see. Grumpy, worried, frustrated, sure.

I meant that the press have been showing us people crammed in cars and garages, shipping containers, basements. This flies in the face of what National are saying, everything is OK.

Sharon Murdoch has twittered a few of her latest cartoons. Very good.

https://twitter.com/domesticanimal?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    For a moment there, I thought it was that neoliberal cad David Lange in the back seat!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    For a moment there, I thought it was that neoliberal cad David Lange in the back seat!
    Nope. It was Hugo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YtAVIGq1ko

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Im not sure elZorro. From what I have seen there, there is a lot of name calling, backstabbing, the language used would make my teenager blush and by their own admission its not a safe place for women to participate.
    I think the bad language comes mostly from the commenters to the posts, and it's not that horrendous usually. The repeatedly bad ones or trolls get knocked out quite quickly. There is a high standard to meet to put a post up, for example I'm not good/smart enough apparently, I tried 4-5 times.

They are working on making the site more female-friendly, I saw something about that, I was surprised it was an issue. Mandy Hager posts there.

I think it was Gerry Brownlee in the back of that BMW, or it could have been one of the Crosby-Textor principals, but they are less well-known over here. Either would be accurate. She does pen a good cartoon. Brutally honest.

Legend

Herald editorial about tax cuts. Unlikely for 2017, they think. Plenty of good comments after it.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ay+18+May+2016
    Last edited by elZorro; 18-05-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Legend

It looks like Labour are looking for a more voter-friendly way of getting through the housing crisis in Auckland. It also lines up with the KiwiBuild policy, they'll need some new land allocated for that.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11640374

National and BusinessNZ agree with the idea, but JK has an extra offer.

http://thestandard.org.nz/key-to-hom...-stay-at-mine/
    Last edited by elZorro; 19-05-2016 at 07:59 AM.

Veteran novice

Not a lot of media coverage, but congrats to the Mangere marae that will open its doors to Auckland's homeless. Politicians of all stripes, meanwhile, hog the news but do little to relieve the problem. (Pun unintended.)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Not a lot of media coverage, but congrats to the Mangere marae that will open its doors to Auckland's homeless. Politicians of all stripes, meanwhile, hog the news but do little to relieve the problem. (Pun unintended.)
    Yes, that's a good setup MacDuffy, excellent short-term accommodation.

https://www.maoritelevision.com/news...doors-homeless

I remember when the Cook Strait ferries were on strike as they seemed to do every year just at the end of the Xmas holidays. Families were sleeping in their cars on the Picton wharf because they had run out of money for accommodation which was pretty miserable. The Blenheim marae opened up its doors and took all these families in, made sure everyone was looked after.

Little can do very little though in opposition. One thing that infuriates me is none of the parties besides NZF are talking about immigration and NZF do it very poorly with borderline racism. All of the parties talking about supply issues. Its not a supply problem, its a demand one driven by record immigration. The parties are too scared to say it because they will fall foul of the Auckland property millionaires that have been created. Whilst there Is a record number of Kiwis staying home & returning the level of immigration needs to be turned down to take the pressure off the housing market and infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.