sharetrader
    Guru

I would describe it as the "last nail".

I predict a low turn out at the next election by Labour stalwarts not wanting anything to do with the Greens but also not willing to vote National.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    I would describe it as the "last nail".

I predict a low turn out at the next election by Labour stalwarts not wanting anything to do with the Greens but also not willing to vote National.
    You are probably right that it's the final nail. Labour are more or less admitting their party is dead. It's hard to imagine two parties in opposition and yet in coalition. They will need to agree on policies before they can release them. Can't wait to see that one working. I'd say after the loss of the next election the parties will amalgamate under a new name utilising the surviving dregs of the parties.

As business mergers go I think it will be less than the sum of its parts, I don't see how it will add to the combined prenuptial vote. Labour will lose a percentage of its core vote to Winston who will look at the Labour/Greens and go '..no thanks'.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You are probably right that it's the final nail. Labour are more or less admitting their party is dead. It's hard to imagine two parties in opposition and yet in coalition. They will need to agree on policies before they can release them. Can't wait to see that one working. I'd say after the loss of the next election the parties will amalgamate under a new name utilising the surviving dregs of the parties.
    Labour has had four leaders since it has been in opposition, perhaps they are going to cast the net wider next time and co-opt a Greenie?

Guru

The Greens have two leaders so Labour should also have two. Oh wait, they can't even find one.

Legend

Actually, there are a heap of Labour rank and file who have been pushing for this MOU for a long time. It needs to be done well before the 2017 election, we'll have time to make it work in the electorates. Winston and NZ First is part of the "Not National, Thanks" vote, so he'll be looking at how this shapes up, carefully. As the world increasingly realises we're on borrowed time with climate change, this is exactly the sort of coalition NZ needs for a good government-in-waiting.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Actually, there are a heap of Labour rank and file who have been pushing for this MOU for a long time. It needs to be done well before the 2017 election, we'll have time to make it work in the electorates. Winston and NZ First is part of the "Not National, Thanks" vote, so he'll be looking at how this shapes up, carefully. As the world increasingly realises we're on borrowed time with climate change, this is exactly the sort of coalition NZ needs for a good government-in-waiting.
    Are you actually a member of that lot?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Winston and NZ First is part of the "Not National, Thanks" vote, so he'll be looking at how this shapes up, carefully. As the world increasingly realises we're on borrowed time with climate change, this is exactly the sort of coalition NZ needs for a good government-in-waiting.
    Sounds like he is Not Labour either. His reaction to Katie Bradford: " Winston Peters was wandering the gallery just before this presser. I asked if he was coming along. Oh how he laughed." @katiebradford https://twitter.com/katieabradford?lang=en

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Sounds like he is Not Labour either. His reaction to Katie Bradford: " Winston Peters was wandering the gallery just before this presser. I asked if he was coming along. Oh how he laughed." @katiebradford https://twitter.com/katieabradford?lang=en
    Yep, he laughed, because it's no fun making it look easy. This is classic Winston. But he has a lot more twitter contact with Labour MPs than National MPs. NZ First policies are Labour's policies in general, have a look. Labour stepped aside in Northland to help his win, he owes Labour. Yep, I'm a card-carrying Labour member, FP. Now I'm even more proud to do so.

Have to agree to disagree on that one Blackcap. In my view they are also a strategic NZ asset and have privileges in regards market access that foreign carriers don't get as well as government support, besides the NZ taxpayer being a major shareholder.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I think you might be wrong there. Last time I looked Air NZ was a listed company and I am pretty sure it all is about profits. The govt are not the only shareholders....
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.