sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    John Key is once again allowed to make dubious statements by a media bereft of any investigative journalists. While threatening to have commissioners take over the Auckland council as he has done in Canterbury, he said a result of this undemocratic action was a 3 bedroom house and land package could be purchased in Christchurch for $400,000. I very much doubt you can buy anywhere near this figure.
    The neo liberal policy of charity providing for the poor is being introduced in NZ by stealth as National pay lip service to societies housing problems.

westerly
    Haven't you just done the very thing you accuse Key of? Why do you doubt the 400k figure? What evidence have you to support this? Do you even live in the area? You might be correct, but a broad brush statement with no supporting evidence doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I think you're all wrong.

It's a new mathematical theory - Two minuses added together make a plus!

Or in physics: Like poles repel; opposites attract! Maybe they should have put more into pursuing Winnie before the election.
    Or, maybe Labour has "made eyes" at Green to try to make NZ First jealous?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 01-06-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Haven't you just done the very thing you accuse Key of? Why do you doubt the 400k figure? What evidence have you to support this? Do you even live in the area? You might be correct, but a broad brush statement with no supporting evidence doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
    Jonu, I live in the area, I am considering a smaller home, and yes I did find a home for under $400.000.
    It was $399,999 and was a rare exception from the normal price range $450,000 up. For John Key to suggest the exception was the rule is misleading at the very least .
    No developer is going to build cheap homes when more profit is available at the higher end of the market.
    National under John Key are becoming more and more undemocratic in their support of the wealthy,

westerly

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Jonu, I live in the area, I am considering a smaller home, and yes I did find a home for under $400.000.
    It was $399,999 and was a rare exception from the normal price range $450,000 up. For John Key to suggest the exception was the rule is misleading at the very least .
    No developer is going to build cheap homes when more profit is available at the higher end of the market.
    National under John Key are becoming more and more undemocratic in their support of the wealthy,

westerly
    Thanks for your honesty Westerly, but reading your earlier post Key didn't say it was the rule, he said you could, and you with your own experience proved it. I don't mean to pillory you, as I said I appreciate your honesty, but I see continually from both sides on this thread, a blindness to anything outside their own narrow view, even to the extent as in this case, of proving themselves wrong without seeing it.

Guru

John Key says that the government are doing their best to get on top of rising average house prices. Really? It looks like "their best" has not been successful. According to the IMF, NZ has the highest house price to income ratio in the World.
    If they concentrate mainly on supply issues, at least half of the issue is not properly dealt with. QV claims growing demand from migrants and investors are pushing prices up. Surely if the government really want to get on top of rising house prices, it is not doing its "best" if those forces behind increasing prices are not addressed in addition to trying to tackle supply issues? Why do investors buying property today pay such high prices?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...39561&19146852

Veteran novice

Why do investors buying property today pay such high prices?
    Because they expect them to go even higher.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Because they expect them to go even higher.
    Interest rates are low too so rents can more easily cover cost of capital.......

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Thanks for your honesty Westerly, but reading your earlier post Key didn't say it was the rule, he said you could, and you with your own experience proved it. I don't mean to pillory you, as I said I appreciate your honesty, but I see continually from both sides on this thread, a blindness to anything outside their own narrow view, even to the extent as in this case, of proving themselves wrong without seeing it.
    Jonu, I don’t feel in the least bit pilloried, nor do I consider I have a narrow viewpoint., or that I was wrong.
    The quote I read was -
    “Key pointed to the price of a house and land package for a three bedroom house in Christchurch being NZ$400,000.”
    In my view Key was implying that $400,000 was a common price for a 3 bedroom house and land package when it is quite the opposite.
    westerly

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Interest rates are low too so rents can more easily cover cost of capital.......
    Many other countries have lower mortgage interest rates well covered by rents, yet NZ has the highest house prices compared to average incomes in the World.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Many other countries have lower mortgage interest rates well covered by rents, yet NZ has the highest house prices compared to average incomes in the World.
    Have a look at this fact-checking on the housing crisis by the Morgan Foundation.

http://morganfoundation.org.nz/fact-...joyce-housing/

They have really spotted the bull**** from Key and Joyce. Never take anything they say at face value. Generally, the opposite is true.

Patrick Smellie on our economy.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opin...ay+2+June+2016
    Last edited by elZorro; 02-06-2016 at 07:33 AM.