sharetrader

""We had a close call with what has turned out to be a real sleazy sort of character""

I dont see it as a close call.
    There are other wan a be pollies that got close and some won a seat.
    The reality is...... those in power or want to be in power have to see this as a wake up call
    as there are 10,000's of people who have made a statement with their vote.
    If that statement got to a percentage of being a small part of a government ....... then so be it.
    A one or two seat party has and can influence the direction of the dominant political party......
    but it cant change the direction.
    Except of course the Maori party that has forced a tremendous tax on it core voters.. ie.... smoking tax.
    Which has helped the National party tremendously get to a surplus.
    Politics is an ugly animal that almost every kiwi has to feed, or ignore at their peril.
    At least the "top of the bell curve" seems to get it right.

A good quiz on immigration

http://thespinoff.co.nz/media/09-09-...-of-migration/

I even got the Gore question correct
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Well that's way to look at it or it could the Maori Party is trying to tax their people off cigarettes & try and save their lives and the next generation from such an insidious habit. Why on earth the Maori Party sticks with National is beyond me. They are so out of synch its ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by neopoleII View Post
    ""We had a close call with what has turned out to be a real sleazy sort of character""

I dont see it as a close call.
    There are other wan a be pollies that got close and some won a seat.
    The reality is...... those in power or want to be in power have to see this as a wake up call
    as there are 10,000's of people who have made a statement with their vote.
    If that statement got to a percentage of being a small part of a government ....... then so be it.
    A one or two seat party has and can influence the direction of the dominant political party......
    but it cant change the direction.
    Except of course the Maori party that has forced a tremendous tax on it core voters.. ie.... smoking tax.
    Which has helped the National party tremendously get to a surplus.
    Politics is an ugly animal that almost every kiwi has to feed, or ignore at their peril.
    At least the "top of the bell curve" seems to get it right.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Well that's way to look at it or it could the Maori Party is trying to tax their people off cigarettes & try and save their lives and the next generation from such an insidious habit. Why on earth the Maori Party sticks with National is beyond me. They are so out of synch its ridiculous.

Tariana Turia will tell you why. Sorry, can't give you her phone no. or email asddress.

Well you aren't much help then are you...
    Its pretty obvious, its also the reason they wouldn't back Clark for the UN.
    The whole issue over the seabed when she was PM
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Well you aren't much help then are you...
    Its pretty obvious, its also the reason they wouldn't back Clark for the UN.
    The whole issue over the seabed when she was PM
    and a lot more.

Why don't you just accept the stated reason for the Maori Party sticking with National. With the natural governing party they can influence policy, get some trade-offs, achieve something. With Labour they are just locked into a long term, torpid sterility.

Because that was obvious & I didn't think it needed stating.
    However they still hold a major grudge over the seabed wrangle as underlined in them not willing to support Clark's bid for the UN top job.

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Why don't you just accept the stated reason for the Maori Party sticking with National. With the natural governing party they can influence policy, get some trade-offs, achieve something. With Labour they are just locked into a long term, torpid sterility.

It will be interesting to see if the Maori Party flip to Labour/Greens if they become the government, but no doubt NZF will be the decider so its probably a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    and a lot more.
    Such as?????