sharetrader
    Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Whoever becomes P.M.in 2017 will depend on Winston First. I can't imagine Peters bothering with the Labour/Green mob.
    Oh, I think Winston will do whatever it takes to regain those "baubles of office", fungus old pudding. Whatever it takes. . .

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Oh, I think Winston will do whatever it takes to regain those "baubles of office", fungus old pudding. Whatever it takes. . .
    I have no doubt Labour will outbid National in Winston bribes. Winston wants PM role and National wouldn't grant that, but Labour/Greens do not have a suitable leader in Little or Shaw, so anything is possible.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I have no doubt Labour will outbid National in Winston bribes. Winston wants PM role and National wouldn't grant that, but Labour/Greens do not have a suitable leader in Little or Shaw, so anything is possible.
    Ah well, we can agree to agree on Winston, but I think we differ on the PM role being on offer. No party leader is going to give that one up! They just aren't made that way.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Ah well, we can agree to agree on Winston, but I think we differ on the PM role being on offer. No party leader is going to give that one up! They just aren't made that way.
    Desperation can do funny things - and would it be up to Little, or the party? I'm quite sure the party would dump him as quick as a wink.

Fungus

How wrong you are. If Winston demanded the nationalization of the means of production, distribution and exchange, and opening an embassy in Pyongyang they would agree. As long as it meant retaining the treasury benches.

They have long ago given up any pretense about being a party of conviction or principle. That train left the station many years ago. Keith Holyoake and Jack Marshall would be appalled
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 29-10-2016 at 10:51 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Fungus

How wrong you are. If Winston demanded the nationalization of the means of production, distribution and exchange, and opening an embassy in Pyongyang they would agree. As long as it meant retaining the treasury benches.

They have long ago given up any pretense about being a party of conviction or principle. That train left the station many years ago. Keith Holyoake and Jack Marshall would be appalled
    Yes. My post was perhaps ambiguous. I meant Labour would dump Little as leader - not Winston.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 29-10-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo

Surely Helen Clark has already set the record for how much to bid for Winston's support. Anymore than she bid and obviously NZ First would be the stronger, senior partner!

Legend

Does National have a 'suitable' leader? Good enough to be our PM? Some people are setting a low standard, if so.

Maybe more arty people will have a go at political satire leading up to the 2017 election, the precedent has been set.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11732723

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Surely Helen Clark has already set the record for how much to bid for Winston's support. Anymore than she bid and obviously NZ First would be the stronger, senior partner!
    Winston was a frustrated potential leader of the National Party. By instinct his first choice will be to negotiate with National but the price will be very, very high. Complicating this is his strong personal dislike of John Key. Internally there will be friction with some MPs accommodating their Cabinet aspirations. If the price of National going into coalition with NZ First is a significant allocation of cabinet posts to NZ First then this could boil over. In effect this would set back National MPs political careers by many years. Outside Parliament most SOE boards are already stacked with former National Party nomenclature. NZ First will, quite rightly, demand a share of those positions as well for its supporters. None of these are happy scenarios for John Key. If they do a deal the unhappy coalition of Jenny Shipley and Winston in 1996-1999 will seem quite functional by comparison. No doubt John Key will be keeping a closer eye on the polls than usual. Its quite possible he will bail out as leader in April.

And I haven't even mentioned Judith Collins.
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 29-10-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    Winston was a frustrated potential leader of the National Party. By instinct his first choice will be to negotiate with National but the price will be very, very high. Complicating this is his strong personal dislike of John Key. Internally there will be friction with some MPs accommodating their Cabinet aspirations. If the price of National going into coalition with NZ First is a significant allocation of cabinet posts to NZ First then this could boil over. In effect this would set back National MPs political careers by many years. Outside Parliament most SOE boards are already stacked with former National Party nomenclature. NZ First will, quite rightly, demand a share of those positions as well for its supporters. None of these are happy scenarios for John Key. If they do a deal the unhappy coalition of Jenny Shipley and Winston in 1996-1999 will seem quite functional by comparison. No doubt John Key will be keeping a closer eye on the polls than usual. Its quite possible he will bail out as leader in April.

And I haven't even mentioned Judith Collins.
    National is down a couple of women ministers, so this does leave room for Judith Collins and Paula "Hyperbowl" Bennett. Full of class, those two.

Paula isn't saying much about the heaps of State Houses now vacant, when it's obvious many could be quickly returned to service. But do National want to do that? No way. It's all about punishing the poor, and jacking up rentals and valuations elsewhere.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/tw...mes-2016102914

Our very efficient but overworked courier driver left his subcontractor operation the other day, his new standard job is working for one of these meth-testing firms. The firm was in expansion mode. Little wonder.