sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    The Opportunist Party will upset the apple cart methinks

'Populist' parties are doing well these days - jeez if the Conservatives got 4% odd last election likely Morgan and his followers could easily get 10% plus.

Labour the loser I reckon

I signed up already
    Good luck to them, but I can't imagine them getting over 5%. Morgan has some pretty wacky ideas. And he won't be helped with his views on cats - even though he's bang on on that score, it didn't make him popular.
    Still - nothing is impossible, but to get over 5% he would have to take such a number from the greens that it would mean either Morgan or greens, but not both. So his big threat will be to Labour/Greens.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 04-11-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    The Opportunist Party will upset the apple cart methinks

'Populist' parties are doing well these days - jeez if the Conservatives got 4% odd last election likely Morgan and his followers could easily get 10% plus.

Labour the loser I reckon

I signed up already
    I'll sign up once they release actual policy. If you read some of the ideas put forward by Gareth in the paper in the past such as the universal basic income then TOP will be a genuine alternative. I hope people don't get hung up on the cat thing though.

Although still angry from the last election when Labour got caned for proposing to lift the retirement age, taxing capital gains, making kiwisaver compulsory etc. None of the policies personally appealing to me (or a majority of the electorate based on the result) but I felt they would be good for NZ long term and also address the affordability of Nat Super.

I would hope they are not a "Populist Party" I think National fills that role.
    Last edited by Aaron; 04-11-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I would hope they are not a "Populist Party" I think National fills that role.
    Where's that like button?

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Good luck to them, but I can't imagine them getting over 5%. Morgan has some pretty wacky ideas. And he won't be helped with his views on cats - even though he's bang on on that score, it didn't make him popular.
    Still - nothing is impossible, but to get over 5% he would have to take such a number from the greens that it would mean either Morgan or greens, but not both. So his big threat will be to Labour/Greens.
    Perhaps Mister Morgan might have aspirations to become an electorate MP. After all, it's been done before.

Veteran novice

Don't they say it will be a "List Only" party?

We'll have to wait and see some policy but I wonder if GM will be able to present his/their ideas in terms that appeal to the masses as well as they might do to economic "purists".

I think your observation that Gareth Morgan would take votes off Labour/Green is misplaced and wishful thinking at best. If Gareth's views on reforming National Superannuation and the Health service migrate to Party policy then it will be very attractive conservative/disaffected National party supporters and align with their views. Not all National Party people were happy with Bill English's private observation in 2008 that one must " swallow dead rats" to attain power. What about you Fungus, are you a "dead rat swallower" or do you believe in conviction politics?
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 04-11-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Perhaps Mister Morgan might have aspirations to become an electorate MP. After all, it's been done before.
    Can't see Morgan having the popularity to take a seat. Even more established parties such as Greens can't win a seat. NZ first struggled through and only got a seat in a by election.

Legend

Can't see Morgan having the popularity to take a seat. Even more established parties such as Greens can't win a seat. NZ first struggled through and only got a seat in a by election.
    You're underestimating the power of marketing spend during elections. Although he has to firmly establish a brand, first.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    You're underestimating the power of marketing spend during elections.
    Good heavens! Am I? You must be extremely gifted to know what I'm estimating. I haven't told a soul.

Good heavens! Am I? You must be extremely gifted to know what I'm estimating. I haven't told a soul.
    Not quite so reticent with political views though.
    Most gardeners would regard Morgans views on cats as correct and he may not be as unpopular as is being suggested.

westerly