sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Because there isn't. Of course people can be and are grouped into classes, but that's not a class system, which often is based on the family you are born into. That's the system that produces those uppity poms who look down their noses at others and are rightfully called Tories.
    It is true NZ does not a have a House of Lords. However that has been reformed in the UK and elected governments stuffs the House of Lords with its appointees.

The UK is making efforts to overcome their legacy of their feudal system by stressing meritocracy - & they have death duties and capital gains taxes. NZ has neither of those so is in the process of building up a class (or segment of society if you will) that enjoys amassing capital and inheriting wealth (just as the UK upper classes did). Perhaps NZ is at the stage that mother England was a couple of hundred years after the Norman conquest with some long established land owning immigrant Pakeha families taking the place of the Norman gentry? Given time, increasing population and current policies this class will develop....the FitzPakeha are to the McMansion (Manor) born. Is 1840 NZ's 1066?

All those people with inherited wealth living in Remuera or Khandallah never are uppity when they consider their compatriots in Porirua or Otara. Pass the Tui!

What do you make of the rush of all the Helen Clark honorees rushing to claim their John Key knighthoods?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 12-01-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Herein lies the problem EZ.. I too would do the diametrically opposed of what the union wanted.
    Well that is often a bad assumption...unions today seem very co-operative those that remain today...

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    We have an SME (S rather than M). We have no permanent employees, just self employed contractors with no guaranteed hours. Usually they are young and come to us off the dole, as we only need a good work attitude and will teach them skills. In practice we go to a lot of effort to give them decent hours and make sure their taxes get paid. Some go on to apprenticeships. Over the years none have left because they are unhappy.

My point - there is no way we would take on all the hassle and paperwork of permies. If we had to take them on as permies, we would lay them off and scale back the business.
    Have a few businesses like this as well..it amazing how cheap talent is out there on this basis..down side is it kills the middle class and their purchasing power...

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Have a few businesses like this as well..it amazing how cheap talent is out there on this basis..down side is it kills the middle class and their purchasing power...
    I like to contract uni students for special projects or manufacturing over the holidays, it gives them experience for their CVs, they usually pick up on things fast, and I can often help them secure their first real job later, with a reference. I am aware that programmers and other computer based skills are widely available through the web, they can be located anywhere, and that's a scary thought for some going into that area of training. But there are still plenty of jobs that need direct involvement and interaction in the workplace.

Back in early October 2016, Bill English was warning about interest rates looking like they were going to head back up. Over Christmas here, they did just that. Now all the banks are climbing on board. Interesting timing considering John Key's abdication, no?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11724396

Bill didn't spell out how ordinary folks would suddenly pay off their house loan before interest rates rose too much to make it even more difficult. I guess we just magic up some cash? in the real world, those who made the buying decision a short time ago, are now stuck with the consequences. There have been widespread mortgagee sales before.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I like to contract uni students for special projects or manufacturing over the holidays, it gives them experience for their CVs, they usually pick up on things fast, and I can often help them secure their first real job later, with a reference. I am aware that programmers and other computer based skills are widely available through the web, they can be located anywhere, and that's a scary thought for some going into that area of training. But there are still plenty of jobs that need direct involvement and interaction in the workplace.

Back in early October 2016, Bill English was warning about interest rates looking like they were going to head back up. Over Christmas here, they did just that. Now all the banks are climbing on board. Interesting timing considering John Key's abdication, no?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11724396

Bill didn't spell out how ordinary folks would suddenly pay off their house loan before interest rates rose too much to make it even more difficult. I guess we just magic up some cash? in the real world, those who made the buying decision a short time ago, are now stuck with the consequences. There have been widespread mortgagee sales before.
    The weather over Christmas has been slightly unsettled. Is that Bill's fault or John Key's? Interesting timing considering Key's abdication, no? Incidentally Bill English does not set interest rates. That must be a surprise to you. However, the odd reminder that borrowers take a risk is prudent. Even Muldoon, an economic nutter, used to warn about the exuberance of the share-market, and I can assure you he did not cause the '87 crash. Here is a wee project to take your mind of things for an hour or two, plot the real estate prices over the last 50 years, and you will find regular falls in values, and to my knowledge no Prime Minister ever told anyone how to pay off their mortgages when values fell, or when interest rates rose. Not even to your 'ordinary folks'. Shocking.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 13-01-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Guru

elZorro would like this piece
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11781276
    Especially these bits sprinkled throughout
    Bloggers claimed that this had been the real reason behind John Key's shock resignation.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Don't distract eZ. I've already given him a project for today. (post 11498)
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 13-01-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Toby got it a bit wrong, I reckon Labour will get in by the end of 2017. As for reasons for John Key resigning, there were probably several, a little bit of truth in every one. In any case it's quite fun, needling the right-wingers for once .

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Toby got it a bit wrong, I reckon Labour will get in by the end of 2017. As for reasons for John Key resigning, there were probably several, a little bit of truth in every one. In any case it's quite fun, needling the right-wingers for once .
    Needling them? Talk about an understatement! You're terrifying them. Lay off.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Needling them? Talk about an understatement! You're terrifying them. Lay off.
    No he's not, LOL.

It's interesting in a sad way, to observe the desperate and dateless side of the political spectrum, exiled to impotence for what must seem an eternity until they find a leader who can attract and appeal to the populous and back it with credible policies that vindicate their ambitions for NZ. One or the other is not enough. Labour could well lose the opposition(!) at this rate, they have so Little going for them and nothing inspiring to say.