sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    No reply on the rest of that post, you're being a bit selective, FP. Cadbury was a major employer in Dunedin, and having a running, elegant factory added to the tourist attraction of the site, another income stream for the region. This was another longstanding business that retained links with the past. The business was not running at a loss, they'd been spending quite a bit on capital improvements, I assume some of that gear will be packed up and sent to Australia. Their chocolate recipe had been modified for the major Australian market, so it could survive on the warm shelves there. Whittakers don't need to step into this manufacturing space, they are already doing quite well, no doubt they can expand their existing plant(s).

But again, this is a clear loss of manufacturing jobs. We didn't hear the govt come up with any ideas to encourage new manufacturers into Dunedin, they are hands off on that, which probably suits them, since they are bereft of good policies across the board.
    Dunedin is doing extremely well with software development companies. Big business and expanding with large job numbers. Of course some businesses choose to relocate. They presumably know what they are doing after 100 plus years in the city. That's life.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    But again, this is a clear loss of manufacturing jobs. We didn't hear the govt come up with any ideas to encourage new manufacturers into Dunedin, they are hands off on that, which probably suits them, since they are bereft of good policies across the board.
    The last few years has seen an overall loss in manufacturing jobs in Dunedin, despite a rise in national figures. I imagine the loss of Cadbury will continue this trend. Unless the NZ government makes Dunedin into a special development zone with tax and other concessions. Something like that may entice internal and external migrants away from overcrowded Auckland. Perhaps.

I used to be a Cadbury buyer until their palm oil period, which, among other concerns, I considered was their cynical disregard of their consumers.

Labour lose a seat they have held since the 1930 s in by-election in the UK and they are the opposition for god's sake

Corbyn's a sorry sight - the more I see of him I can't stop seeing a lot of Little in him.

Suppose after he's overseen the total wipeout by Labour later this year we just might see a reinvigorated Labour Party or is too late

Sad really
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Labour lose a seat they have held since the 1930 s in by-election in the UK and they are the opposition for god's sake

Corbyn's a sorry sight - the more I see of him I can't stop seeing a lot of Little in him.

Suppose after he's overseen the total wipeout by Labour later this year we just might see a reinvigorated Labour Party or is too late

Sad really
    The sad thing is Labour won't ditch Little before the election, knowing full-well he does not hit the spot with the public. They'd get a bit of ridicule if they changed leader again, but they'll get a lot more with a low vote.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The sad thing is Labour won't ditch Little before the election, knowing full-well he does not hit the spot with the public. They'd get a bit of ridicule if they changed leader again, but they'll get a lot more with a low vote.
    But wouldn't it be a hoot if, with Greens' plus Winnie's support he ended up as NZ Prime Minister in September?

Just kidding!!!!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    But wouldn't it be a hoot if, with Greens' plus Winnie's support he ended up as NZ Prime Minister in September?

Just kidding!!!!

No joke. It's distinctly possible, given that is Peters' ambition, and neither Labour or the Greens have a capable leader. I can't think of a worse scenario of that trio trying to function - but it's a threat. Winston's price will be leadership which National would quite sensibly not accept.

Advanced Member

Bill English gave a very competent display of sheepshearing. I'm told that Mr little is receiving lessons and hopes to milk a goat in public before the election. Biggest problem is deciding which goat to milk.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Bill English gave a very competent display of sheepshearing. I'm told that Mr little is receiving lessons and hopes to milk a goat in public before the election. Biggest problem is deciding which goat to milk.
    Perhaps he could milk Mister Shearer's fish?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Perhaps he could milk Mister Shearer's fish?
    Well he probably won't go near any swimmable waterways, because they're not exactly 100% swimmable. John Key's abdicated, housing policies are a mess, we're just scraping into a surplus but the govt has to borrow to pay the interest, and Nick Smith is making the usual hash of anything he has a go at. I don't think National supporters can afford to poke fun at the opposition.

Guess who's taking the Mt Albert seat tomorrow? If National is so powerful, why aren't they even trying to compete there? Because they would have been thrashed.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Surely can't do worse than Cunliffe 😳