sharetrader
    Veteran novice

Can anyone unravel for me the Labour party position on education, particularly charter schools (whatever they are). I'd like to be able to square the circle around what the Leader and the Maori spokesman have had to say on the subject recently.

Legend

Andrew Little has made the charter school policy very clear. Those schools not teaching the curriculum or using registered teachers, would be closed.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/politi...schools-policy

In any case, there don't appear to be many charter schools, probably under 10, and many of the backers seem to be religious groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charte...in_New_Zealand

Kelvin Davis is putting forward an idea on testing the concept of Maori values being used in a prison, suggesting it could be tested in the existing Northland prison. It is not Labour policy leading up to the election. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11852278

Rod Oram quits: Fairfax editors disagreed with Rod Oram's take on the merger decision last weekend, and in any case he'd had his word numbers reduced for the SST items on the rear of the business pages. He has resigned from the job, but will reappear somewhere else. This is a shame for the SST, it's the main reason I still bother with a subscription, and I find most of the other articles less than enlightening/poorly researched.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/playe...o_id=201843153
    Last edited by elZorro; 10-05-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Veteran novice

Ah! Charter schools become "Special Character schools".

Problem solved.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Ah! Charter schools become "Special Character schools".

Problem solved.

These special character schools might have building programmes, farm programmes, but they'd also teach the syllabus and use registered teachers, that sounds fine.

Another opinion writer that needs to stay onboard: Shamubeel. Note how the older policies are similar to Labour's KiwiBuild, and they worked.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-stan...ousing-history

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    These special character schools might have building programmes, farm programmes, but they'd also teach the syllabus and use registered teachers, that sounds fine.

Another opinion writer that needs to stay onboard: Shamubeel. Note how the older policies are similar to Labour's KiwiBuild, and they worked.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-stan...ousing-history
    Whats the fascination with registered teachers ElZorro? Whenever I read about yet another teacher playing with the kids, or hitting the kids or impropriety... shock horror... they are registered. Registration is as useless as tits on a bull.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Whats the fascination with registered teachers ElZorro? Whenever I read about yet another teacher playing with the kids, or hitting the kids or impropriety... shock horror... they are registered. Registration is as useless as tits on a bull.
    I wouldn't think that the incidence of such behaviour is as high amongst trained and screened teachers, as in the general population. It's probably a lot better in fact. But even NZ charter schools are required to screen staff. It's the teaching training I'm concerned about. It's a tricky but privileged job teaching young adults.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I wouldn't think that the incidence of such behaviour is as high amongst trained and screened teachers, as in the general population. It's probably a lot better in fact. But even NZ charter schools are required to screen staff. It's the teaching training I'm concerned about. It's a tricky but privileged job teaching young adults.
    I've long been concerned about teacher training too.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I've long been concerned about teacher training too.
    FP
    Reflecting on my time at primary school all those years ago. I believe I gained more knowledge from buying Look and Learn Magazine, which I bought every week from the bookshop next to my father's shop than I did at school!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    FP
    Reflecting on my time at primary school all those years ago. I believe I gained more knowledge from buying Look and Learn Magazine, which I bought every week from the bookshop next to my father's shop than I did at school!
    You would have. And more-so nowadays. There are large numbers of teachers who are semi-illiterate; can't spell and have no knowledge of English grammar and in many cases cannot do basic arithmetic without a calculator. All power to charter schools or any system that can provide a higher standard of the basic three Rs. There is massive room for improvement.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You would have. And more-so nowadays. There are large numbers of teachers who are semi-illiterate; can't spell and have no knowledge of English grammar and in many cases cannot do basic arithmetic without a calculator. All power to charter schools or any system that can provide a higher standard of the basic three Rs. There is massive room for improvement.
    My daughter's previous flatmate is now a certified primary school teacher. She can't spell or do any maths to save herself, can't do percentages in fact. It's a bit of a worry. I'm sure most teachers are fairly competent.