sharetrader
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Looks like it's an option, not policy yet. But owning the land while getting the value out of a business that might one day have to relocate anyway, is fairly smart.

National tries to half-flog a credible Labour policy yet again.

http://www.landlords.co.nz/article/6...ay+17+May+2017

How many times have they done this over the last 9 years? Labour has been far more effective in opposition than many give them credit for.

In this case National are only suggesting supplying a net 26,000 homes over the next 10 years, and more will be sold off than kept in the social housing portfolio. Some won't even be "affordable" or be sold to first-home buyers.

Labour's KiwiBuild policy would be much more of a training/employment/industry upskilling exercise to produce 100,000 houses over the same time period, with the funds being ploughed back in from ongoing property sales.

The govt has revealed Hamilton is getting 43 new social 2brm houses by the end of July this year, not so impressive when you see the number of derelict older state houses now lying vacant in the suburbs. Their progress has been so slow.

In Auckland I think the figure is 120 new houses so far. Is this National govt capable of even planning for one quarter of the homes that Labour want to build under their original policy?
    Last edited by elZorro; 17-05-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    National tries to half-flog a credible Labour policy yet again.
    Bit of history here on their past promises and reality
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11857015

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Bit of history here on their past promises and reality
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11857015
    Excellent article, dobby41. Shows just how inept the govt has been, not even keeping up with the advancing problem. The problem, of course, is largely the ongoing high net immigration - a National Party sure-fire recipe for high property prices and fake economic growth - which plays directly into the hands of their supporters and the wealthier end of the population.

I sure hope they're gone by September.

Veteran novice

I sure hope they're gone by September.
    Is that Labour's election strategy eZ?

Guru

September? Winston will take longer than that to decide.
    Last edited by 777; 17-05-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    September? Winstone will take longer than that to decide.
    Winstone - the aggregate company?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Winstone - the aggregate company?

Corrected. Hope that clears it up.

Actually I think this election is going to be a shambles. Cobbling together enough parties to form a government is one thing but them actually working together is another thing.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Corrected. Hope that clears it up.

Actually I think this election is going to be a shambles. Cobbling together enough parties to form a government is one thing but them actually working together is another thing.
    777, you are simply repeating some sort of gossip that Crosby-Textor and the Nats are happy to promulgate. Why don't you have a short look back in history and see how Labour got on with almost all of their coalition partners, most of the time. More to the point, the country did go ahead under their leadership, for nine good years. So unless you have proof that it would be a shambles, it's nothing but rumour, with no basis in fact.

Are you seriously hoping that if enough people say/believe that kind of rubbish, they'll not look at the mess National is making, and actually be stupid enough to vote National in again?

Guru

777, you are simply repeating some sort of gossip that Crosby-Textor and the Nats are happy to promulgate. Why don't you have a short look back in history and see how Labour got on with almost all of their coalition partners, most of the time. More to the point, the country did go ahead under their leadership, for nine good years. So unless you have proof that it would be a shambles, it's nothing but rumour, with no basis in fact.

Are you seriously hoping that if enough people say/believe that kind of rubbish, they'll not look at the mess National is making, and actually be stupid enough to vote National in again?
    I think you will find most people DO think that a Labour coalition WILL be a mess and that is why a National led government is an almost certainty according to the markets. I certainly would not want a Labour Green NZF unholy alliance. I mean WP getting along with Meteria with Andrew in the middle trying to placate? Ugh do not even want to think about that scenario.

Are you saying that the majority of the NZ voters is stupid? If that's official Labour policy (I wouldn't be surprised), than this might explain why Labour can't get up its back ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)