sharetrader

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    And as NZ first is neither left or right, and has no stated position, gives no certainty to his voters, he can side with left who won 41.7% or the right who won 46.5%.
    Prertty resounding victory on that basis too.
    As Peter Shirtcliffe tried to point out MMP in this form can throw up a result less representative than the old FPP system.
    So as far as electoral systems go, we just aint got the right one yet.
    Don't blame the electoral system. Our problem in NZ is clearly the ideological one-eyed-ness of some of the contenders - particularly of the Green party, but as well - in a smaller capacity - of ACT.

MMP works really well if you have a number of players who all try to focus on implementing as much as possible of their declared policies in government, able and prepared to work together with a number of the other players to achieve their goals.

It works less well if you have a bunch of players who are already during the election race connected by the hip to some of the other players - this makes the running much more difficult and makes the mix and match process afterwards nearly impossible.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

And as NZ first is neither left or right, and has no stated position, gives no certainty to his voters, he can side with left who won 41.7% or the right who won 46.5%.
    Prertty resounding victory on that basis too.
    As Peter Shirtcliffe tried to point out MMP in this form can throw up a result less representative than the old FPP system.
    So as far as electoral systems go, we just aint got the right one yet.
    I would tend to say they have well defined policies and if you have a look i'm sure you can easy place them on the political continuum...their key policies are clearly different to the previous government. Argue as much as you like..time to just see it for what it is.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I would tend to say they have well defined policies and if you have a look i'm sure you can easy place them on the political continuum...their key policies are clearly different to the previous government. Argue as much as you like..time to just see it for what it is.
    When a minor party (7%) can ignore the majority wish and appoint the minor side of politics to govern, with a new bunch of policies if they like, we've hardly got an ideal system. I hope somewhere in the next election cycle or so we could adopt a supplementary member system. Much fairer and if Winston First goes with Labour/Greens we might see a new system emerge within a year or two after it all turns to custard. .

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Put Labour/Greens and NZ first together and they could negotiate anything they like. If Winston goes that way it would blow to bits fairly soon and we might just see a better system like supplementary member, and for a party with 7% being able to appoint parties who in total cannot equal the top polling party is simply not democracy. It might leave 7% of voters satisfied, because there was no way they could know what they were voting for and took a risk, and could leave 93% of voters dissatisfied.
    Whatever the outcome - it's not a good system. Forget the party - this decision will be Winston Peters alone, and he will know already the outcome.

Dilettante

Just watched WP on TV. I sincerely hope National does not go with this egomaniac. Whatever Government he decides is highly unlikely to last a full term.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Just watched WP on TV. I sincerely hope National does not go with this egomaniac. Whatever Government he decides is highly unlikely to last a full term.
    I'd love it if both the Nats and the Greens got off their high horses and formed a coalition ...that would be the end of Winnie once and for all.

Peter Dunne was on the radio this morning - one comment he made was that Nats and Greens are actually much closer to each other than they let on ...but then what does Dunne know.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

When a minor party (7%) can ignore the majority wish and appoint the minor side of politics to govern, with a new bunch of policies if they like, we've hardly got an ideal system. I hope somewhere in the next election cycle or so we could adopt a supplementary member system. Much fairer and if Winston First goes with Labour/Greens we might see a new system emerge within a year or two after it all turns to custard. .

If one party held a true majority there would be no issue to discuss. Coalitions always provide the excuse to alter/adopt different policies..then again the previous government (like so many previous) introduced policies that certainly they did not disclosure during the previous election cycle..so what really is your point...

ps Dunne clearly doesn't understand Green policies...or just expressing what clearly he would like to see...
    Last edited by Raz; 27-09-2017 at 06:58 PM.

Legend

Sheep/Beef farmers are less optimistic than before, dairy farmers only slightly so.

Hard to understand, with latest news about Fonterra's CEO annual income, incremented by the bonus from two years.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/far...832m-this-year

$160,000 a week - he must be really good at something.

If they paid a sensible salary, they could afford some more research into mitigation of waterways damage.

Is there anything to the rumour that the National Party and Fonterra are working in cahoots regarding the dairy payout? The payout drives most regional economies, and there is a disturbing three year cycle to the payout that hasn't changed for several elections in NZ. In 2014 there was a bonanza that turned out to be a bit premature. Fonterra had to backpedal for 2-3 years. But this year, she's all good again.

If the chart is to be believed, the predicted payout this season is optimistic too, and will be pulled back because overseas prices drop, or something else goes wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by elZorro; 27-09-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Guru

The trouble with Greens is that only a small portion of them think green. The rest are using it as a vehicle to push their far left ideology. Read red not green.

IMO

Laila Harré: why the left must seize this moment

"The only real question for NZ First is whether they can be convinced of the coherence of a government with Labour and the Greens, because it is there that they will certainly have the greatest opportunity to effect change. In such a government, identifying legacy projects will not be restricted to what seems possible in the pressure-cooker of the next few weeks’ negotiation. The option here is for a government that knows the deep challenges it must tackle and takes the time it needs to do so."