sharetrader
Page 152 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 521021421481491501511521531541551561622022526521152 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 16077
    Legend

Over the last few days we've seen how clever and original-thinking the National govt is: they have changed their mind on the Auckland rail tunnel idea because there looks to be a lot of votes in it. Labour had already looked at the concept and decided that it was a sound idea.

Labour convincingly held onto the late Parekura Horomia's Maori seat in the by-election, with their strong candidate Meka Whaitiri. National did not contest, presumably because they'd be on a hiding to nothing, and it would only look bad.

Another telling communication for me was this message within an email I received from John Key (yes, I keep an eye on both of the big party propaganda messages):

John Key: ...I want to leave New Zealand in better shape than when I first became Prime Minister.
    Now where have I heard that before?

Reviewing and changing your mind,as opposed to blindly following party agenda ( and dogma for that matter) is smart.

That's how we decided to move out of caves no?

So NZ, or at least Auckland, wins and we get a complaint. It seems strange to me.

Advanced Member

Our local Maori seat is as meaningful in the scheme of things as my decision this morning to butter my toast on the side that was up rather than turning it over. A fraction of the elegible voters, 0ne-third, bothered to vote. Of the remaining two-thirds many would be National supporters who didn't have a candidate. The Mana party candidate is, or so I understand, a prominent face on Maori programmes as a presenter and would have gained much of his support from that factor alone. Maori are not rushing back to the Maori Electoral roll as many Maori activists believe should happen. It is common now to hear people say that they don't want to be in a seperate category and would prefer one nation - one people. Now if Winston Peters got his act together and stopped combing his hair and looking in the mirror then he could be on a winner.

Just maybe huh. Or we just wait till Labour gets in. Whenever that is...

"Labour convincingly held onto the late Parekura Horomia's Maori seat in the by-election, with their strong candidate Meka Whaitiri."

Once again we have some absolutely dizzying spin from EZ as he crashes and burns.

One media commentator noted that the Labour candidate scored less than Parekura Horomia's majority in the last general election.

"Convincingly"?

I can't stop laughing.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    "Labour convincingly held onto the late Parekura Horomia's Maori seat in the by-election, with their strong candidate Meka Whaitiri."

Once again we have some absolutely dizzying spin from EZ as he crashes and burns.

One media commentator noted that the Labour candidate scored less than Parekura Horomia's majority in the last general election.

"Convincingly"?

I can't stop laughing.
    Interesting turn-of-phrase there, MVT, but I was hardly going to say that Labour squeaked in at the by-election. There wasn't a big turnout, but they certainly won the thing. Ms Whaitiri has plenty of political pedigree, and had been helping Parekura for many years. She's not a bunny.

My wife was sent a National party brochure yeterday in the post, full of half-truths, and I will deconstruct it a bit more when I get the chance. Suffice to say that this glossy 4-page publication paints a rosy picture of a strongly recovering NZ, yet in the Herald today (page A3) I see that over 38% of all respondents in the Digipoll thought they were worse off than two years ago, another 40% said they were the same.

While most costs have gone up, wage rises have been put on hold, and many have less takehome after changes to govt super policy etc. Those in jobs are mostly too worried to move. (The govt says unemployment is down, but of course the number of jobs has probably dropped, people are giving up on employment hopes). Another bleak indicator is that we are all buying 25% more takeaways than a few years ago. Why? because we're running around more, less time to cook at home, and the budget restraints (fuel costs are way up) mean cheaper will have to do, more often.

As an example of this, have a look next time you're in a queue at a service station. Depending on the location, many are putting a fraction of a tank in the car each time. Transport costs (and house rental costs) are clobbering leftover spending power.

Interesting. I cook at home when I want to be cheap and buy takeaways when I have money in my pocket. What am I doing wrong here?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by slimwin View Post
    Interesting. I cook at home when I want to be cheap and buy takeaways when I have money in my pocket. What am I doing wrong here?
    Family of four at the chippie: $10 for 4x fish, $4 chips, 4 sausages, 4 potato fritters. Poor quality quick food most likely. We'll all pay for it in the health system, later.

el Zorro please give me the chippies address will try it next time I am in Hamilton. At those prices they should be patronized. I would like to know how they do it
    Possum The Cat

I just made 2.5 liters of corn and bacon soup for about $6.50. A whole loaf of bread with that would be close to ten. I assure you it's very yummy.
    Sometimes when i'm lazy i get fish and chips. I get lazy most friday nights...