sharetrader
Page 1545 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 545104514451495153515411542154315441545154615471548154915551595 ... LastLast
Results 15,441 to 15,450 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    Get it right. It is Luxon not Luxton. As in it was Key not Keys.
    Fair enough ... though, do you recon it pays to memorise the spelling of this name?

I guess the way I see it ... either he stays one of 120 plus more or less meaningless MP's - or he might be the man who continues the job Crusher Judith started under the watching eye of chairman Goodfellow: Crush the National Party ...

Don't know yet what it will be, but for you I will work on this spelling thingie:
    Luxon, Luxon, Luxon, Luxon, Luon ... damn!
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Slow news day - Key talking to 3 MPs (1 called him) is considered as ‘hitting the phone’!

But read the comments - it is clear that Clueless Cindy’s keyboard warriors are out in force and clearly panicking at the prospect of National unifying under 1 leader as was the case under sketchy.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...Y6TG25IIJPCEU/

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Fair enough ... though, do you recon it pays to memorise the spelling of this name?

I guess the way I see it ... either he stays one of 120 plus more or less meaningless MP's - or he might be the man who continues the job Crusher Judith started under the watching eye of chairman Goodfellow: Crush the National Party ...

Don't know yet what it will be, but for you I will work on this spelling thingie:
    Luxon, Luxon, Luxon, Luxon, Luon ... damn!
    That would be time well spent. Thingy, thingy, thingy.....
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 27-11-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What has Luxon done to make you think he’d turn National into a “hard right religious sect” ?
    I think he’s much more likely to run it, if he gets selected, as a soft center-right party like John Key did.
    The main thing is that they come out of this unified and start attacking this useless Government on it’s many weak policy areas
    I agree with your assessment of the current government, am however not sure National has anything better to offer. Whoever starts there as leader will have a lot of work to work out and communicate what National really stands for.

I agree as well with the priorities you mentioned for National - and yes, the fact that they basically surgically removed their liberal wing makes it difficult for them to fly, doesn't it? I am however not sure I share your hopes that Chris Luxon (her we go ..) will be able to implement all the good points you raised.

I must admit I was during his time at AIR a bit concerned how his religious believes influenced business decisions in an absolutely inappropriate way - and if this is a template for his behaviour in parliament, than he is clearly not a man I would support on the way into government.

Problem is - people who think that only their world view represents the truth ("I am the way and the truth and the life" - Jesus said that, not Luxon) will always find it difficult to work with all groups in society and to represent all walks of life. How will Luxon work together with e.g. muslims, atheists (the largest religious group in NZ) or with the LGBT community? Will his religious believes (remember - "to believe" means to know that you don't want to know the truth" (Nietzsche) stop him to make sensible decisions on drug laws or e.g. anything related to assisted dying?

Being intolerant and closed to other peoples ideas is a problem for all religious fundamentalists (not just Christians) ... and therefore do religious fundamentalist seldom (never?) make good politicians.

But anyway, maybe he grew up since he worked at AIR. I am happy to give him a second chance, but I really would be disappointed if he is the best chance National has left - they clearly did cut too many good people off their wings during the dark times.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Slow news day - Key talking to 3 MPs (1 called him) is considered as ‘hitting the phone’!

But read the comments - it is clear that Clueless Cindy’s keyboard warriors are out in force and clearly panicking at the prospect of National unifying under 1 leader as was the case under sketchy.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...Y6TG25IIJPCEU/
    Revealing story, if completely factual.

If 'an MP' is representative of Luxons' sentiment, that "he wants the job given to him", then in my view he isn't fighting hard enough.

Mark Mitchell will have withdrawn, in endorsement of Simon, so it looks to me there is only 1 'Bridge over troubled water.'

The diversity faction will probably then want a female as deputy, but if that happens it's a low blow for Dr Shane Reti, who hasn't put a foot wrong.
    Taking one for the team?, but hey, this is politics.

Chris Bishop has time on his side.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    What has Luxon done to make you think he’d turn National into a “hard right religious sect” ?
    I think he’s much more likely to run it, if he gets selected, as a soft center-right party like John Key did.
    The main thing is that they come out of this unified and start attacking this useless Government on it’s many weak policy areas

Not saying this will happen, but BP is light heartedly raising a point worthy of discussion since Luxon is a potential leader.

Luxon is an Evangelical Christian, that's fundamentalist with a core tenet being 'faith in action', with an emphasis on the action. i.e. using every opportunity to spread & push the faith & core beliefs on others.
    That's not the same as being a regular Christian who aren't out to impose their beliefs on others.
    Those beliefs include, anti- euthanasia, anti-abortion, anti-same sex marriage, anti-drug reform.

Whether those personal beliefs would turn off a lot of middle NZ voters or influence political decisions/appointments/promotions/choice of inner circle, remains to be seen.

John Key was openly agnostic.

On the other hand, Labour has a religious base (among others) esp through its Pacifica voters, who Luxon's Christian fundamentalism might well appeal to.

Advanced Member

If Jacinda had the casting vote, who would she choose???

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post

Shane Reti without a doubt.

He would be my choice too as it happens, he's intelligent, decent, highly respected, could bridge different factions, an authority with Covid & this new variant coming, no ego, & a new look for National which it desperately needs.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Getty View Post
    Simon for sure. She knows he's never polled well as Nat. leader - whereas the others are all a bit of an unknown quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Shane Reti without a doubt.

He would be my choice too as it happens, he's intelligent, decent, highly respected, could bridge different factions, an authority with Covid & this new variant coming, no ego, & a new look for National which it desperately needs.
    Definitely not Cynical Cindy’s pick then.

She wants Simon Bridges.