sharetrader
Page 1548 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 548104814481498153815441545154615471548154915501551155215581598 ... LastLast
Results 15,471 to 15,480 of 16077

Yep. A vote for National would be off the table for me, under his leadership. I have no issue with religion in general, but Evangelical Christianity is a different kettle of fish. I don't believe he would be able to separate his religion from his politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Referencing the religious content.
    Luxon's speech was deliberately & clearly crafted to front foot the issue of his Evangelical Christian beliefs which risk being a big turn off for middle NZ voters.
    "The trick for Luxon is to convince the public there's no threat, that he'd be a leader for all, not just the religious right."

It's a big vulnerability esp when you look more closely at Evangelical Christians beliefs, including broadly that women should submit to the authority & leadership of their husbands, they encourage women to have a submissive role. You won't find women in leadership roles in Evangelical churches.

You'd have to think seriously about someone who attends a church where sermons from the pulpit are laced with, while a wife may not agree her husband, she should just do whatever he says, because that's what women are called to do.

Apart from the anti-euthanasia, anti same- sex marriage, etc stuff,
    this risks a big turn off to a section of National supporters as well as middle NZ, and don't think the liberal's in National's caucus as well as Labour's media team won't be thinking about this already.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-in...-ground-voters

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    What a load of rubbish and another own-goal embarrassment to yourself. 233 words of his 2,518 word maiden speech were dedicated to his faith. Here's what he actually said:
    The media reports it quite differently:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/former...RYXRZBW27XJM4/

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...s-christianity

Quiet Observer

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Yep. A vote for National would be off the table for me, under his leadership.

As yet, National has never received my vote, but that does not mean they never will.

But let's not forget, as you have previously confirmed, you have NEVER voted for National........and therefore it seems, regardless of the who the leader is and what their religious beliefs are.
    Last edited by FTG; 28-11-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    Success is a journey AND a destination!

Banned

Yep. A vote for National would be off the table for me, under his leadership. I have no issue with religion in general, but Evangelical Christianity is a different kettle of fish. I don't believe he would be able to separate his religion from his politics.
    But could anyone really separate their beliefs (Whatever they may be) from their politics? Your core beliefs if they are strong enough run through all your life and the decisions you make whether right or wrong. I would call Luxon a moderately conservative Christian and I think the Evangelical label is unhelpful, he would get my vote based on his values and huge business/economic experience, I mean he's done substantially more than fry a basket of fish and chips.

And so you voted for Clueless Cindy - has she showed she can separate her atheist beliefs from her politics and policies?

Maybe you need a religion reset like Cindy did with all her failed policy resets - CGT, Kiwibuild, Elimination, Child Poverty, Mental Health, Immigration, 3 Waters ...the list goes on and on.
    Last edited by Balance; 28-11-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    But could anyone really separate their beliefs (Whatever they may be) from their politics? Your core beliefs if they are strong enough run through all your life and the decisions you make whether right or wrong. I would call Luxon a moderately conservative Christian and I think the Evangelical label is unhelpful, he would get my vote based on his values and huge business/economic experience, I mean he's done substantially more than fry a basket of fish and chips.
    Ah, but how many comrades can he fit into a sound bite?

Guru

Does he believe in a rapture?

Oooga booga.

I was waiting for you to show up
    I have never yet voted for National because they have never yet met my brief for what I expect/want from a government. Previous leaders religious beliefs have not been a consideration to date, but as I just said, Evangelical Christianity is a different kettle of fish to mainstream religions. So, right now, I would not vote for National if Luxon was leader. My personal experience with evangelicals is that they cannot separate their religion from their politics. Luxon would have to work hard to convince me that he would be the exception to the rule.

Contrary to what you seem to believe, what I have or haven't done in the past, has no bearing on what I might do in the future. If someone else becomes leader, and National manages to pull off a miracle before the next election, maybe I will vote for them. I do not know who I am voting for yet. But it will not be National with an Evangelical at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG View Post
    But, as you have already confirmed, you have NEVER voted for National........regardless of the who the leader is and what their religious beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    So you rely purely on the media to make your assessments & postings?

No wonder you are such a lousy investor as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Does he believe in a rapture?

Oooga booga.
    Dont know you'd have to ask him but whether he believes in it or not should it happen he will be part of it as a Christian, thats the great thing heads you win, tails you win. Lol