sharetrader
Page 1552 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 552105214521502154215481549155015511552155315541555155615621602 ... LastLast
Results 15,511 to 15,520 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Shocking, the bill will allow people to override anti-discriminatory Federal laws, on the basis of a persons religious beliefs.
    e.g. a school principal might not employ a gay teacher or discriminate against a gay student, or allow a business to discriminate against a person of another religion, or a doctor to object to certain procedures. They're even seeking assurances it won't allow discrimination against people with a physical disability.
    After the Israel Folau incident, you would think they would have learnt their lesson but I suppose he got a lot of support from some religious groups.
    Such a backward step.
    Not much different to the Taliban.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...imination-bill
    So much hooha made of the bill without some of the posters here reading it and understanding it properly. The howls of protests from the Left - entirely predictable and laughable.

The bill is intended to tackle the pervasive 'Cancel Culture' of the Left and imo, is long overdue.

Even the Opposition in Australia is in support of the bill:

"In a statement the shadow attorney general, Mark Dreyfus, said Labor “supports the extension of the federal anti-discrimination framework to ensure that Australians are not discriminated against because of their religious beliefs”.

He added Labor would be guided by three principles including that “any extension of the federal anti-discrimination framework should not remove protections that already exist in the law to protect Australians from other forms of discrimination”.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...an-protections

The devil will always be in the detail but that's for the government to sort out as the bill passes through its various stages of approval before becoming law.
    Last edited by Balance; 29-11-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Do you think it's about time we sent a few undercover cops to listen in on the Friday night drinking schools at the pub - ready to pounce the moment someone calls homosexuals 'bluudy poofters'?
    What about somone who says 'I can't stand Jacinda - she's ###', or 'I hope Soimon doesn't win - can't go the #####' How about 'I hate the minister of xyz." The first problem with hate speech is defining it.
    As everywhere else in the real world there is not black and white but there are shades of grey :

However - despite all these shades of grey - black does exist.

I am sure there are some events where even the two of us could agree on the fact that the propagator did use hate speech (and I suppose that we could find more events we agree on as being labelled hate speech than just Hitlers speech on the Jewish question).

Lets start with these and increase the net if and when necessary.

And hey - just looking at the examples you provided, I would consider most of them not as "hate speech", though absolutely unnecessary to support a working democratic dialogue.

While it is an absolute must in a democracy to be able to express the failings of the other political side in words without the fear of sanctions (like I see this minister as incompetent, because ... or I see this decision as wrong, because ...), do I not see any benefit in being able to publicly inflict ones hate on other people or describe them with four letter words.

Being a bit more civilised in that regard would help a lot to lift the standard of the political dialogue.

Even incompetent minsters are human beings with human feelings ... and they might even change their ways if instead of expressing our hate for them and calling them four letter words we instead would identify issues and propose how they could be fixed :

Related to your first example ... I think it would be good if people are taught to control their most dangerous weapon a bit better ... most people spouting this sort of non sense are just not used to use their brains to control their speech and neither able to put themselves into other peoples shoes. I think our world would be better if we find a way to teach people about using their brain before they speak ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 29-11-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

Related to your first example ... I think it would be good if people are taught to control their most dangerous weapon a bit better ... most people spouting this sort of non sense are just not used to use their brains to control their speech and neither able to put themselves into other peoples shoes. I think our world would be better if we find a way to teach people about using their brain before they speak ...
    Or better still, find a way to stop politicians using spin (paid by taxpayers) to stay in power while they implement divisive, undemocratic & pro-criminal policies.

Start with the non eviction policy of this government.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    So much hooha made of the bill without some of the posters here reading it and understanding it properly. The howls of protests from the Left - entirely predictable and laughable.

The bill is intended to tackle the pervasive 'Cancel Culture' of the Left and imo, is long overdue.

Even the Opposition in Australia is in support of the bill:

"In a statement the shadow attorney general, Mark Dreyfus, said Labor “supports the extension of the federal anti-discrimination framework to ensure that Australians are not discriminated against because of their religious beliefs”.

He added Labor would be guided by three principles including that “any extension of the federal anti-discrimination framework should not remove protections that already exist in the law to protect Australians from other forms of discrimination”.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...an-protections

The devil will always be in the detail but that's for the government to sort out as the bill passes through its various stages of approval before becoming law.

You make it sound so simple when its much more complex.
    In fact there are MP's in the Coalition govt as well as MP's in the Liberals who are uncomfortable with aspects of the controversial bill, and it has already been amended at least 3 times diluting its original intent, dropping clauses which have been deemed too extreme.

"Scott Morrison's reassurance that the Bill would protect freedom of belief & expression, but stopped short of allowing discrimination against others, was disputed by some Coaltion MP's, with many expressing concern in Tuesdays party room meting about it's impact on minority groups."

Note, Coalition MP's let alone Equality advocates & others.

In all probability the bill will eventually get passed, in a watered down form, but Australian politics is an unusual sort of a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    You make it sound so simple when its much more complex.
    In fact there are MP's in the Coalition govt as well as MP's in the Liberals who are uncomfortable with aspects of the controversial bill, and it has already been amended at least 3 times diluting its original intent, dropping clauses which have been deemed too extreme.

"Scott Morrison's reassurance that the Bill would protect freedom of belief & expression, but stopped short of allowing discrimination against others, was disputed by some Coaltion MP's, with many expressing concern in Tuesdays party room meting about it's impact on minority groups."

Note, Coalition MP's let alone Equality advocates & others.

In all probability the bill will eventually get passed, in a watered down form, but Australian politics is an unusual sort of a beast.

The intent is simple - that much is crystal clear as the Opposition also supports it.

As I wrote, the devil is in the details and that’s why there is a submission and consultation process before it becomes law.

What is clear is that the Cancel Cancer brigade is inventing scenarios to try & drown the bill - thank goodness they are not going to succeed as such a law is long overdue.

Guru

What is clear is that the Cancel Cancer brigade is inventing scenarios to try & drown the bill - thank goodness they are not going to succeed as such a law is long overdue.
    The middle east is not a success story we should want to copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    The middle east is not a success story we should want to copy.
    You would prefer NZ continue the path towards Apartheid South Africa.

Banned

You would prefer NZ continue the path towards Apartheid South Africa.
    A few on here seem quite happy to go down that path or are in denial that it is happening right before their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    A few on here seem quite happy to go down that path or are in denial that it is happening right before their eyes.
    You can't be that blind or dumb to repeat the braindead argument of some idiotic antivaxxers again and again and again, can you?

Apartheit meant the suppression of one race through another race, and nobody could do something about the race they were born into.

Vaccination status is something everybody can easily control. Nothing stopping you to join the vaccinated and enjoy all their freedoms but the big beam in front of your head ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    You can't be that blind or dumb to repeat the braindead argument of some idiotic antivaxxers again and again and again, can you?

Apartheit meant the suppression of one race through another race, and nobody could do something about the race they were born into.

Vaccination status is something everybody can easily control. Nothing stopping you to join the vaccinated and enjoy all their freedoms but the big beam in front of your head ...
    Apartheid simply means apartness, apartness happens when any particular race is shown favouritism or given more resources in a disproportionate way in comparison to others races in a country (Ring any bells) I wasn't addressing the vaccine with my post but seems you have mentioned it, yes the vaccine mandate and passport system is a form of Medical Apartheid.