sharetrader
Page 1605 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 605110515051555159516011602160316041605160616071608 LastLast
Results 16,041 to 16,050 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Or perhaps he wants to protect those who have been vaccinated. Surely the first duty of any govt. is to protect its citizens.
    Yes fair comment. I dont agree with the premise but that is another matter.
    What I was expecting from a libertarian was an acceptance of my right to choose.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    What I was expecting from a libertarian was an acceptance of my right to choose.
    Fair enough - as long as you accept that you will be blocked from certain activites, and not bleat on about your rights to wander about putting others at risk.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Coming from you whose one source of truth is Cindy
    I point out facts where I see them - you just make them up, repeat them and add a dose of one-liners in a Trumpish manner.

You obviously like your panda mate’s lie that Luxon paid no tax?
    Not so obvious at all.
    I disagree with what he said - he doubled down on what he said while meaning something else (no tax paid on capital gains as are our tax laws).
    I'm just not as rabid as you.

Or you prefer the 100,000 new homes to be built under Kiwibuild?
    I've already made my views known on this - was never going to happen for a number of years.

What a loser you are, dobby41 - one big complete loser to swallow all that spin & garbage from Cindy. Get a life. A real life.
    There you go again - you love to call people names - play the person rather than the issue.
    It is not I who is a loser.
    Fortunately, you said it yourself.
    Does not matter what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    I point out facts where I see them - you just make them up, repeat them and add a dose of one-liners in a Trumpish manner.

Not so obvious at all.
    I disagree with what he said - he doubled down on what he said while meaning something else (no tax paid on capital gains as are our tax laws).
    I'm just not as rabid as you.

I've already made my views known on this - was never going to happen for a number of years.

There you go again - you love to call people names - play the person rather than the issue.
    It is not I who is a loser.
    Fortunately, you said it yourself.
    Coming from the one whose one source of truth is Cindy.

Yawn.

Guru

Coming from the one whose one source of truth is Cindy.

Yawn.
    There you go again - you can't help yourself.
    Play the ball not the man and stop making stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    There you go again - you can't help yourself.
    Play the ball not the man and stop making stuff up.
    Cindy is your one source of truth - why are you so embarrassed these days to be a man and stand up for your Cindy?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    I think David Seymour is in favour of increasing health spending. After all an unhealthy society without vaccinations checking epidemics and contagion runs the risk of checking many an individual’s liberty. I see no conflict between libertarianism and an emphasis on robust public health, including an emphasis on vaccinations.

I think Seymour believes in driver licences and other restrictions too.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 30-01-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I think David Seymour is in favour of increasing health spending. After all an unhealthy society without vaccinations checking epidemics and contagion runs the risk of checking many an individual’s liberty. I see no conflict between libertarianism and an emphasis on robust public health, including an emphasis on vaccinations.

Yes i understand that, and i don't want to say this out loud as its not currently popular so please excuse me but, would a libertarian also not respect my choice to not expose myself to something I do not want.

Quiet Observer

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post

Only a full-blown anarchist would be actively against society having any rules & regulations in place, e.g. the use of drivers licences.

It seems many folk don't understand, or perhaps misunderstand, the distinct differences between anarchists & libertarians and hence tend to think they are cut from the same cloth. Far from it!

Yes, libertarians aspire to having a free society and certainly not one that is leaning towards authoritarianism. Anarchists too want "freedom" from authority, but without any restraint and certainly without individuals being responsible for & taking responsibility with their actions. An anarchist is happiest when an environment of chaos, confusion, randomness, and 'no consequence" reigns.

The irony is that when anarchy is allowed to reign in a country, its society is only a corrupt politician's heartbeat away from losing all liberties that they previously cherished (and likely took for granted).

On the other hand the libertarian understands that for individual & societal freedom to successfully flourish, it needs to be balanced & checked with individuals being responsible. Taking responsibility for their actions, or as it may be, lack of actions. Sadly NZ has been walking (and in more recent times starting to jog) down the dangerous authoritarian centralised STATE controlled path - under both Labour AND National majority run parliaments.

Why? Simple, most politicians think they are in a supremely better position to know better about what is best for you, me and society.

What does Luxon really think? Even if he did think distinctly differently than the rest of the pack, does he have the willingness, skills, understanding & tenacity to navigate "the system" to successfully make the necessary paradigm shifts to that system of governance? Or will he just get consumed by the bigger machine and eventually be homogenised along with most of the other politicians?
    Last edited by FTG; 23-02-2022 at 08:37 AM.
    Success is a journey AND a destination!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FTG View Post
    On the other hand the libertarian understands that for individual & societal freedom to successfully flourish, it needs to be balanced & checked with individuals being responsible. Taking responsibility for their actions, or as it may be, lack of actions.Sadly NZ has been walking (and in more recent times starting to jog) down the dangerous authoritarian centralised STATE controlled path - under both Labour AND National controlled parliaments.
    They believe in economic anarchy - but are tough on crime and want a strong military.

Though without necessarily having the means to pay for it.