sharetrader
Page 410 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3103604004064074084094104114124134144204605109101410 ... LastLast
Results 4,091 to 4,100 of 16077
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Nice to see you admit that your hero Key has FAILED too.

Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave. #TeamKey
    Funny you didn't mention Labours bigger failure concerning house prices. The way I see it National has slowed house prices from the peak in 2007. I call that success from Labour's failure.

Don't let Labour steal your hard earnt money and freedom

Vote National!!!

Advanced Member

I off-set this bet several times over by the certainties of the market that use to cover most of my gambling. And, as I said before, I am happy to go again for the same amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I just put a $40 bet on Labour to win the election. If they win I win $400, yes that is right, $400. If Labour lose obviously I lose my $40. Labour are now a 10/1 shot of winning.

(Craic, if you want to lay off some of your exposure to ElZorro just go to betfair.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzie View Post
    Here is another stat: Hamilton City has risen 0.3% over the past three months, and 4.8% over the past year and values there are now only 0.7% above the 2007 peak.

This is quoted on June 6, 2014

Could carry on if you like.
    Cuzzie, House prices in Auckland and elsewhere have many economists worried, because any drop in price could severely damage the economy as mortgages are so big zero equity could result. National along with the banks have a vested interest in keeping prices rising.
    A politicians first priority is to get reelected just as a bank economist must treat his employers interests as priority. The good of society is a secondary consideration. As a bit of a cynic I regard all political promises from that viewpoint along with commentary from vested interests such as business organizations ( nearly put an s in there instead of a z) Federated Farmers and even Unions who are all promoting their members interests as being for the good of the country.
    National record is boosted by the ChCh earthquake, dairy prices and heavy borrowing. These are not sustainable into the future.
    You can produce all the stats you like but comparing the record of the present with the past govt. is not relevant. What is is the the future policy of the opposition and what the incumbent has achieved and proposes.

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Cuzzie, House prices in Auckland and elsewhere have many economists worried, because any drop in price could severely damage the economy as mortgages are so big zero equity could result. National along with the banks have a vested interest in keeping prices rising.
    A politicians first priority is to get reelected just as a bank economist must treat his employers interests as priority. The good of society is a secondary consideration. As a bit of a cynic I regard all political promises from that viewpoint along with commentary from vested interests such as business organizations ( nearly put an s in there instead of a z)
    You should have. American English uses Z. British English - s. No need to thank me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    A politicians first priority is to get reelected just as a bank economist must treat his employers interests as priority. The good of society is a secondary consideration. As a bit of a cynic I regard all political promises from that viewpoint along with commentary from vested interests such as business organizations ( nearly put an s in there instead of a z) Federated Farmers and even Unions who are all promoting their members interests as being for the good of the country.
    National record is boosted by the ChCh earthquake, dairy prices and heavy borrowing. These are not sustainable into the future.
    You can produce all the stats you like but comparing the record of the present with the past govt. is not relevant. What is is the the future policy of the opposition and what the incumbent has achieved and proposes.

westerly
    Not sure why you want to go on with this as Labour tenure inflicted a far greater house price increase than Nationals time in Govt. The largest ever in NZs history. National has steady the increase somewhat and now you say its National with the vested interest to keep prices rising. That's an own goal by you westerly due to the fact under National house price increases have slowed dramatically. It is clearly Labour with the vested interest to have even more control on people working the system, not for the system and Labour will turn up and feed the ducks. I'm proud to say that "I'm Pro New Zealand, Anti Labour & try my best not to feed the ducks".
    westerly, forget about ChCh, the Dairy Industry or anything else you can blame for National for driving our economy, National is directing NZ out of the red Labour left us in and back towards where we belong. It doesn't matter what is driving it, as long as National gets on board and keeps the momentum moving forward. But you're negitive geared and will always look for things that aren't there. I feel great as most NZers do, infact westerly so should you too even though it is not your team doing all the great work. After all our country - your country is in good shape and heading for even better times, forget about what colour you vote for, just embrace.

BTW, I almost forgot, too much salt is very bad for your blood pressure. It adds extra fluid running around in your body. Heart Attack material stuff for sure.

Hear! Hear! I'm with Cuzzie! :-)

Legend

Cuzzie, if Labour is so bad for business and employment options, why is it that Labour's last terms produced record numbers of SMEs and self-employed people? This ramping trend stopped when National got in, they slipped backwards and even now, long after the GFC, have not recovered to that level.

I met a well-presented guy the other day who has been struggling for a while to find fulltime work. He has one contract job and is looking for another. He's been working for $16 an hour and also $18 an hour on contract as a technician. Could be OK you think, except he's probably 45 years old, and has a BSc in Chemistry. What the hell is going on, when firms know they can get away with employing graduates on a contract for that sort of money? What sort of an economy do we have at the moment? A fairly shot one I reckon.

Cuzzie, you cannot say that National are leading us out of the red and into the black. They have done nothing of the kind. Unless you mean that they took us into the red, and after nearly six years, have finally been getting close to climbing out of a deep hole. More by good luck than anything, and lowering dairy payments may soon mean they'll be revising their breakeven budget estimate into something further into the future. They are bereft of ideas, and like Westerly and Belgarion, I don't want to see what sort of a crap job National would do with another three years at the 'helm'. It's a rudderless boat, or more correctly we are sailing on the winds of market forces.

Advanced Member

"Sailing on the winds of market forces" is exactly how it works. You look for the best value for money, you don't buy from the other guy with the higher price just because he has six kids and a mortgage to service. The guy who is 45 with a degree and working for $18 an hour got there by his own efforts - if he has the brains to get a degree he should have the nous to be away ahead by middle age.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    like Westerly and Belgarion, I don't want to see what sort of a crap job National would do with another three years at the 'helm'. It's a rudderless boat, or more correctly we are sailing on the winds of market forces.
    Luckily for NZ, a healthy majority of voters look at the real world around us with open eyes and disagree with the 3 of you.

Legend

Sorry, the stats don't lie, not when a whole cohort of them are locked into the same message in showing how well-tuned the NZ economy had been by 2008, and how those good results retreated once National had power. Treasury had predicted budget deficits for 10 years in 2008 at the start of the GFC, but these were all small deficits, and in any case the predictions for anything past a couple of years were no more than informed guesses.

Fast-forward to 2014, and National's prediction of budget breakeven after record-topping deficits for several years, is in danger from a lower dairy cheque, an internationally set price that they have no control over. NZ is heavily dependent on dairy, meat and wood exports still. We have learnt nothing from National's tenure. We have not been led anywhere, and old money has simply stayed in the normal spots, by and large.

More state assets have been sold off, the opposite of what NZers want. Manufacturing jobs and many retail businesses are at a low ebb, we have a big welfare cheque to cover, and that won't go away just wishing for it. Where are the policies? If you have a look at Labour's, there are heaps of them that have a good chance of working in NZ's favour.

The voting public have to look past the Crosby-Textor and press brainwashing and vote for change, we need to expect more.