sharetrader
Page 507 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 740745749750350450550650750850951051151755760710071507 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 16077
    Advanced Member

Probably the best quote around here for years. But I would alter it for politicians to read "all that smile" I just drove through Marewa, Napier and saw a small modern car completely painted in the Conservatives colours and logo with a very large Garth Mc Vicar on the sides and I honestly believe that he will surprise a lot of people in the Napier Electorate and gain a lot of party votes. 5% ? - maybe not this time but it could happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    I know MVT. I think you are right National will probably return to the Treasury Benches, despite the revelations. However the real political drama for John Key will start after the election.

" and some that smile, have in their hearts, I fear, millions of mischiefs"

William Shakespeare _ Julius Caesar

I, anticipate the next three years will deliver an unparalleled political spectacle.

Advanced Member

Someone is going to have to do a lot of spring-cleaning immediatly after the election. It might be the perfect opportunity for Inter-party cooperation. Start with the withdrawal of permanent residence from one German - he cannot claim refugee status. A really tough Hacking law seems appropriate, regardless of who was hacked this time and regardless of their high moral stance, hacking can and does precede all types of crime from money fraud to blackmail and it need to be subject to heavy penalties including asset freezing and asset stripping. All sorts of foreigners appear to be able to come here simply by waving wads of notes about. Today my crisis is my daughter, a Kiwi, cannot travel from London to Paris for a few days because she has lost her passport in Greece last Week. Its an Irish passport and they are a valuable commodity among criminals. I have to courier documents at great cost and even that will probably not be enough. Some scruff arrives here from some Eastern country without anything and they are still here years later.

Few boat loads of white fellas arrived here 200 years ago and still haven't gone home.

Default Gst

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Unfortunately his silly policies like dropping GST on food and rates won't work, and he burbles about buying back sold shares - nonsense stuff, so it will take a fair few baubles for Winston. The rest of NZ First won't matter. Conservatives might be a better bet if they make it, but only if they come to their senses with policies - and they just might.
    Seems to work in Australia

Most basic foods, some education courses and some medical, health and care products and services are exempt from GST.
    Things that are GST-free include:
    most basic food
    some education courses, course materials and related excursions or field trips
    some medical, health and care services
    some medical aids and appliances
    some medicines
    some childcare services
    some religious services and charitable activities
    supplies of accommodation and meals to residents of retirement villages by certain operators
    cars for disabled people to use, as long as certain requirements are met
    water, sewerage and drainage
    international transport and related matters
    precious metals
    sales through duty-free shops
    grants of land by government
    farmland
    international mail
    exports
    sales of businesses as going concerns
    some telecommunications supplies
    eligible emissions units.

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    Seems to work in Australia

Most basic foods, some education courses and some medical, health and care products and services are exempt from GST.
    Things that are GST-free include:
    most basic food
    some education courses, course materials and related excursions or field trips
    some medical, health and care services
    some medical aids and appliances
    some medicines
    some childcare services
    some religious services and charitable activities
    supplies of accommodation and meals to residents of retirement villages by certain operators
    cars for disabled people to use, as long as certain requirements are met
    water, sewerage and drainage
    international transport and related matters
    precious metals
    sales through duty-free shops
    grants of land by government
    farmland
    international mail
    exports
    sales of businesses as going concerns
    some telecommunications supplies
    eligible emissions units.

westerly
    NZ has the best system in the world - undeniable.

Advanced Member

Seen Quantas lately? GST free and 5 billion in debt. Air NZ raking it in and giving better service internationally. On the Auckland City Council reports of today (up the creek with lots of paddles, but only Len Brown knows how they work) Maybe we could lend him to Qantas in particular and Australia in general for a dacade or two

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Seen Quantas lately? GST free and 5 billion in debt. Air NZ raking it in and giving better service internationally.
    Is this a plug against the privatization of airlines?

Advanced Member

Have had quite a few trans Tasman trips and when something goes wrong in airports, the usual comment from airport staff is "F#### Quantas again "whento the casual Kiwi traveller the luggage carousel has broken down.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    NZ has the best system in the world - undeniable.
    From whose point of view?

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    From whose point of view?

westerly
    Almost every other country or their finance ministers. It is widely quoted as the best model specifically for its no exemptions simplicity; I'm sure you are well aware of that if you are interested enough to ask, so I'm left wondering why you did ask. But please don't explain.