sharetrader
Page 53 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657631031535531053 ... LastLast
    Legend

There must be heaps of good suppliers of websites Slimwin, I like to use those outfits who write the code here in NZ too. One firm I tried simply bought an overseas CMS package and rebranded the front of it. But anytime you wanted a small change they were lost, big delays. My current hosting firm pulled the $5000 website from the imposter firm, across to their system, and showed it starting to run within 30 minutes, charged only a $540 setup fee all up. And much lower hosting fees than I was paying.

In the news over the last couple of days, MSD's firewalls prove to be all too simple for anyone with a bit of Windows knowledge. This is a shocker. Those on the Right might have to admit that cutting down on backroom staff can have massive effects like this. They even called experts in to advise on it (contractors) when someone told them about it earlier. The big holes were not spotted.

Here's how the info was put onto the web, finally forcing a fix by MSD. Paula Bennett should be roasted over this one.

http://publicaddress.net/onpoint/msds-leaky-servers/
    Last edited by elZorro; 16-10-2012 at 06:34 AM.

I would have thought her manager in charge would be roasted.if she asks if the system is good and her manager says yes do you expect her to be technically proficient in i.t and check all the work out? That sounds a we bit too much like political sniping. This needs solving and whoever is directly responsible to be held responsible.

Advanced Member

Every system that ever existed is vulnerable. I grew up with the wanganui computer when it existed and spent years in the criminal justice system which I had to use all day every day. With the Wanganui beast, you had to get in on your third attempt or the police arrived at the site within minutes and you had to explain yourself. With the more widely used systemthat has been in place for years we had many "work arounds" usually to overcome some glitch. There were some restrictions about which areas police, probation, prison or court staff could enter that were considered confidential to one or the user groups.I accidently clicked on a empty space on a screen I was using one day and found myself on a part of the site that I did not have access to. It was of no significance to me so I just went back out. As to shortage of qualified staff, my son is a Data Systems Architect for a major international banking and investment system overseas but who is going to pay well in excess of $200,000 pa. to someone in WINZ to protect their fragile system?

Legend

Slimwin, as part of a wider bid to save $237mill by reducing the need for administration staff, 700 self-service kioks have been installed by the IT dept of the Social Devt Ministry, all in the last 18 months.

Chief Executive Brendan Boyle said "It appears a relatively basic mistake has been made in this instance - and the right safeguards were not put in place around the Work and Income kiosks".

The National govt policy started this ball rolling. Some WINZ staff have been laid off or not replaced under the old faithful sinking lid policy, and the confidential files virtually left open to view, out in the public area of the Ministry.

Craic, I agree we wouldn't be paying $200,000, but there will be heaps of tertiary graduates who would like a job in the govt sector as a training ground and stepping stone to other work. Current Govt policy is that they should instead jump the ditch, or go on the dole over here.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Slimwin, as part of a wider bid to save $237mill by reducing the need for administration staff, 700 self-service kioks have been installed by the IT dept of the Social Devt Ministry, all in the last 18 months.

Chief Executive Brendan Boyle said "It appears a relatively basic mistake has been made in this instance - and the right safeguards were not put in place around the Work and Income kiosks".

The National govt policy started this ball rolling. Some WINZ staff have been laid off or not replaced under the old faithful sinking lid policy, and the confidential files virtually left open to view, out in the public area of the Ministry.

Craic, I agree we wouldn't be paying $200,000, but there will be heaps of tertiary graduates who would like a job in the govt sector as a training ground and stepping stone to other work. Current Govt policy is that they should instead jump the ditch, or go on the dole over here.

EZ. You are perfectly free to employ as many people as you like even if you don't have real jobs for them. The govt. is not. They are the guardians of the public purse; the collected taxes. It is our money they are spending - not theirs. Although over employing in govt. depts. is often done in an attempt to mask unemployment figures, not just in NZ but throughout the western world, it is simply irresponsible; shonky politics. The paying public should be treated better.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    EZ. You are perfectly free to employ as many people as you like even if you don't have real jobs for them. The govt. is not. They are the guardians of the public purse; the collected taxes. It is our money they are spending - not theirs. Although over employing in govt. depts. is often done in an attempt to mask unemployment figures, not just in NZ but throughout the western world, it is simply irresponsible; shonky politics. The paying public should be treated better.
    I don't think I'll be changing my employment figures, we're still doing OK in the provinces - and could do better. Besides, my brain could go into atrophy and I'd start voting National, or worse. You do realise of course, that if everyone felt like you do about employing people or taking risks, there would be a lot of empty buildings, and very little tax paid.

I don't think public departments should get too big either, but they are good training grounds, they reduce the loading of the unemployed on the govt purse, and every person educated, trained and retained in NZ can eventually add to our GDP. Who knows in what area. All employees pay a lot more tax than unemployed people do. Public sector funding is not all wasted, it's part used on staff, part on supplies from the private sector, part recycled as taxes.

At what point is the public sector reduced by too much, leading to unexpected consequences? I think we're finding that out right now.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Wrong, the infra structure of NZ was built by employees of Govt. Depts. And still is, the Govt. is paying for the fibre rollout even if Chorus provides the labour.The results were sold off by politicians ( Douglas, Richardson, etc and now Key ) following the now failed policies of Regan and Thatcher
    The results of this Govt. investment were sold off allowing fortunes to be made by a few. Who then headed overseas where most of the profits go.
    NZ is now far more of a class society, a wealthy elite growing their wealth and continually pushing for lower taxes, a middle class struggling to advance and probably pushing for lower taxes, and an increasing under class getting less and less of the social services a Govt . should provide.
    It is a Govts job to provide for all its citizens the opportunity to progress not just the favoured few. Unemployment is a world wide problem which if unresolved will cause massive problems.

Westerly

State sector reduced EZ? Your believing the bloggers.
    Here's the reply from the State services commision on total numbers. Not a whole lot of difference in the last 5 years. The nine years before that are a different matter..
    "Hi Mark,

We monitor the State Services staffing numbers through the StatisticsNZ survey - the Quarterly Employment Survey. I've pasted the State Services headcount numbers from 2007 to present.

Year State Services Headcount
    2007 223,912
    2008 223,412
    2009 226,554
    2010 220,877
    2011 226,048
    2012 224,084

Kind Regards,

--
    Martin Peak
    Senior Advisor, Strategic Information
    State Services Commission
    DDI: +64 4 495 6627
    Fax: +64 4 495 6686
    Martin.Peak@ssc.govt.nz
    www.ssc.govt.nz | newzealand.govt.nz "
    Last edited by slimwin; 16-10-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: I spell like my two year old

Legend

Hi Slimwin, those numbers look big, and unchanging. State Services include teachers, hospital staff, local govt, etc. And headcount is just that, it's not FTEs.

The state service has only about 15% of the total employed in NZ, and the public service is a small part of that, reaching a maximum of about 46,000 FTEs in 2008. http://www.ssc.govt.nz/node/3650

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/politics/2...ty-breach-winz

John Key's handling of the GCSB - ODT comment.
    Last edited by elZorro; 17-10-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Hmm, interesting ,I should probably email that guy back and see where he picked his figure from.perhaps foolish for me to believe a state employee was doing his job correctly! Was an email to clear up a debate I was having with another guy and worked in my favour!