sharetrader
Page 59 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263691091595591059 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fudosan View Post
    That's my experience when we insulated our house this year. Had several quotes but was surprised to find the prices very similar. An experienced insulation firm not on the list could offer a similar price close to the other two receiving the 33% subsidy from the government.
    Yes Fudosan, that would be correct, because if they didn't match the price, they'd get no work at all. Firms will do jobs at cost to save the hassle of losing trained staff, and hope for an upturn. You can call it competition, I'd call it a race to the bottom.

Here's a much smarter business: Fitzroy Yachts at Port Taranaki. After the Americas Cup at San Diego in 1995, they took a huge punt and built a superyacht - without having a buyer. It sold at the first show they took it to. They've done 12, including Ohana, just put in the water this weekend for its full fitout, 50mtrs long.

Relating this manufacturing back to building houses: I don't think building a house is very profitable. This superyacht took 400,000 hours, 30 months, and therefore it's employed 80 trained staff for 2.5 years, at good wages. Commissioned by an Italian family, so they're not all doing badly. The yacht labour could be worth NZ$20mill alone. Apparently a superyacht can fetch up to a million euro on a one week staffed charter, once it's in the Mediterranean (these might be larger 70 mtr unmasted boats).

Zefira, a recent yacht from Fitzroy, is for sale.
    Last edited by elZorro; 30-10-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Legend

Fletchers might get checked out under new govt initiative. A range of comments, some saying the market is tough, and pricing reflects the small population compared to Australia for example.

NZ Govt to build houses.
    Last edited by elZorro; 31-10-2012 at 07:59 AM.

El Zorro are you dreaming of course it will be Fletchers that build them who else would the govt. award the tender to. Or else they will supervise and ok everything like in Cristchurch.
    Possum The Cat

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    El Zorro are you dreaming of course it will be Fletchers that build them who else would the govt. award the tender to. Or else they will supervise and ok everything like in Cristchurch.
    Maybe, Possum. I don't know much about that.
    However Brian Fallow writes like a Labour supporter. He doesn't like the look of National's housing plans, they'll need a better direction.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10844195
    Last edited by elZorro; 02-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Interesting. I always thought of Brian as centrist. AS all credible journalists should be.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by slimwin View Post
    Interesting. I always thought of Brian as centrist. AS all credible journalists should be.
    I was just trying to liven up the thread - he looks like a National voter, it's getting hard to tell.

Legend

I found this reply on an ino.com thread: reminds me a bit of the National-Labour policy differences.

"Alan Greenspan has proclaimed himself 'shocked' that 'the self-interest of lending institutions to protect shareholders equity' proved to be an illusion... The Reagan-Thatcher model, which favored finance over domestic manufacturing, has collapsed. ... The mutually reinforcing rise of financialization and globalization broke the bond between American capitalism and America's interests. ...we should take a cue from Scandinavia's social capitalism, which is less manufacturing-centered than the German model. The Scandinavians have upgraded the skills and wages of their workers in the retail and service sectors -- the sectors that employ the majority of our own workforce. In consequence, fully employed impoverished workers, of which there are millions in the United States, do not exist in Scandinavia." - Harold Meyerson, "Building a Better Capitalism", The Washington Post, March 12, 2009.

The battle is an old one. William Jennings Bryan's 1896 speech contains a template for conflict between democracy and the rich. Inserting any policy the rich seek mainly in their own interest (here bank deregulation) will show it.
    "There are two ideas of government. There are those who believe that, if you will only legislate to make the well-to-do prosperous, their prosperity will leak through on those below. The Democratic idea, however, has been that if you legislate to make the masses prosperous, their prosperity will find its way up through every class which rests upon them."
    "When you come before us and tell us that we are about to disturb your business interests, we reply that you have disturbed our business interests."
    "We say to you that you have made the definition of a business man too limited in its application. The man who is employed for wages is as much a business man as his employer; the attorney in a country town is as much a business man as the corporation counsel in a great metropolis; the merchant at the crossroads store is as much a business man as the merchant of New York ... the miners who go down a thousand feet into the earth, or climb 2,000 feet upon the cliffs, and bring forth from their hiding-places the precious metals to be poured in the channels of trade, are as much business men as the few financial magnates who, in a back room, corner the money of the world."
    "If they dare to come out in the open field and defend bank deregulation as a good thing, we will fight them to the uttermost. Having behind us the producing masses of this nation and the world, supported by the commercial interests, the laboring interests, and the toilers everywhere, we will answer their demand for bank deregulation by saying to them: You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns; you shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of gold."
    Tumultuous acclaim wasn't enough; Democrats could not overcome being outspent over 23 to 1 by the GOP. In a close vote McKinley won, which is perhaps good: When he got shot, Teddy Roosevelt became President, but Paul Ryan is no Teddy Roosevelt.
    T.R. was only the first of several distinguished war heroes who rose to high position and found an octopus in the head of government and tried to warn us about it(see link under my name). Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler (Commandant of the Marine Corps, two Congressional Medals of Honor), Dwight Eisenhower, and John Kerry are others.
    "There is...an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth, without either virtue or talents.... The artificial aristocracy is a mischievous ingredient in government, and provisions should be made to prevent its ascendancy." - Thomas Jefferson

Legend

Colin James has written a speech on Norman Kirk. I remember him on B&W TV, no-one ever seemed to have a bad word to say about him. A true NZ statesman.

http://www.colinjames.co.nz/speeches...ce_12Nov03.pdf

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Colin James has written a speech on Norman Kirk. I remember him on B&W TV, no-one ever seemed to have a bad word to say about him. A true NZ statesman.

http://www.colinjames.co.nz/speeches...ce_12Nov03.pdf
    I'm not sure if you were old enough in his day to remember much, but probably not from your comments. He was reasonably popular when he was around, and consideably moreso after his death - which tends to be the way if you die in office, but there has been endless stories since about his scone-doing bad temper; he had a lot of enemies among those who knew him. You would probably remember John Kirk, his son better, who gained Norm's seat in the by-election following Norman's death. John was a shocker who would have had Norm spinning in his grave. Last heard of, bankrupt and in an American jail.

"The Third National Government of New Zealand (often also known as the Muldoon government) was the government of New Zealand from 1975 to 1984. It was an economically and socially conservative government, which aimed to preserve the Keynesian economic system established by the First Labour government while also being socially conservative. Throughout its three terms it was led by Robert Muldoon, a populist but antagonistic politician who was sometimes described as his party's best asset and worst liability."

And a piss take song to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HVog...feature=relmfu

Not allowed out tonight.