sharetrader
Page 68 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172781181685681068 ... LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Iceman Even at $370 per cash in hand who could afford to make payments on there student loan. Let alone a gross $370.00 Are you dreaming just as hard as these idiots in the Govt. that set it.
    Read Iceman's post. He mentions high earners, and others 'when they can pay it back'. And we all know he's dead right.

Hmm, I have 4 adult children and they have all paid their student loans back....does that mean there is something wrong with them....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Hmm, I have 4 adult children and they have all paid their student loans back....does that mean there is something wrong with them....
    Well, they're certainly not normal.

One of them lives overseas - in Montreal, and another one of the 4 paid back her loan while she was overseas - London.

So it is possible. You don't have to lie, cheat, steal, vote Labour......

I'm presuming they did useful courses that gave them job prospects at the end. No underwater sheep farming papers.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    One of them lives overseas - in Montreal, and another one of the 4 paid back her loan while she was overseas - London.

So it is possible. You don't have to lie, cheat, steal, vote Labour......
    Well done by them. Most of the defaulters could just as easily as your children pay back the money us tax payers LENT them for free, but for many of them the feeling of entitlement is above the feeling of responsibility when it comes to dealing with the Government, i.e. us taxpayers
    Last edited by iceman; 29-11-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well done by them. Most of the defaulters could just as easily as your children pay back the money us tax payers LENT them for free, but for many of them the feeling of entitlement is above the feeling of responsibility when it comes to dealing with the Government, i.e. us taxpayers
    That can't be right. I distinctly recall Dr. Cullen being challenged when he made the loans interest free, that there would be less incentive to repay any faster than they absolutely had to. He dismissed that and absolutely assured us that they would now repay faster their loans because the overrall debt would be less with interest gone.

Cullen always was completely convinced his thinking was faultless...smart guy but certainly did not get it right there. Interest free but wheres the buy in, where's the responsibility, where's the penalty. A good idea but lacking sufficient substance would be the report card. Maybe we should automatically revoke any degrees or certification unless repayment terms are being complied with. If you dont pay your house mortgage payments the banks will certainly take action. Whats the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    That can't be right. I distinctly recall Dr. Cullen being challenged when he made the loans interest free, that there would be less incentive to repay any faster than they absolutely had to. He dismissed that and absolutely assured us that they would now repay faster their loans because the overrall debt would be less with interest gone.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BIRMANBOY View Post
    Cullen always was completely convinced his thinking was faultless...smart guy but certainly did not get it right there. Interest free but wheres the buy in, where's the responsibility, where's the penalty. A good idea but lacking sufficient substance would be the report card. Maybe we should automatically revoke any degrees or certification unless repayment terms are being complied with. If you dont pay your house mortgage payments the banks will certainly take action. Whats the difference?
    Isn't it already enough of a penalty for students, that they have to pay for an increasing proportion of their tertiary education?

I'm all for the creativity behind the Hobbit movies, but to ensure this transitory project stayed here, the government and local bodies coughed up nearly $100million, defrayed against the higher employee taxes and spend no doubt. So it's a business transaction, commonsense. But the tax benefits went to a smallish group, some domiciled overseas. Could we have done a sweetheart deal like this on something that had longer-term and tangible benefits for NZ?

Student loans are spread around hundreds of thousands of NZ-trained students, and the outstanding amount is only $200mill. It's a business deal, that money will come back in the end. With interest, effectively, from higher productivity. Cullen's no mug.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Isn't it already enough of a penalty for students, that they have to pay for an increasing proportion of their tertiary education?

I'm all for the creativity behind the Hobbit movies, but to ensure this transitory project stayed here, the government and local bodies coughed up nearly $100million, defrayed against the higher employee taxes and spend no doubt. So it's a business transaction, commonsense. But the tax benefits went to a smallish group, some domiciled overseas. Could we have done a sweetheart deal like this on something that had longer-term and tangible benefits for NZ?
    Not easily. Most of the benefits are simply a rebate.