sharetrader
Page 749 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 2496496997397457467477487497507517527537597998491249 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,490 of 16077

Artemis, Well most families have a double or partial double income these days.
    So income into a house is usually more than one income.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

So I give you an actual source & a very good source of independent media being Radio NZ & you give me or something.
    Well that just proves its then. The world according to FP. haha

There is actually a file on the NZ Gov website that compares global electricity prices using a purchasing power model, but for some reason I can't open it on my PC. I'm happy to be proven wrong but not going to just accept, of I read it somewhere & so its rubbish.
    My own personal comparison is to Australia & NZ electricity is a lot more expensive.
    I used to be horrified when coming home & visiting my mother & seeing what the power bill she was trying to pay out of her pension.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Google world electricity prices or something like that. I looked a while ago and we were somewhere between 30 to 40th. I can't be bothered checking now. Don't believe what you hear on National radio.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

Who was that offering a wager on the 2017 election, namely that JK would see National through the process? Someone should take the other side. Quickly

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO150...n-ipredict.htm

Greg Harris, simultaneously writing an article and touting for work.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opin...day+6+May+2015
    Last edited by elZorro; 06-05-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Legend

An interesting timeline of just a small part of the grants process from Callaghan Innovation.

A big pdf file that I posted earlier, shows that in 2014, 57 big companies in NZ had been granted up to $15mill each by the taxpayer, over four years. These grants are for 20% of R&D spend, and are made to encourage R&D growth of each of the companies. If all of these grants are picked up, it will cost the taxpayers of NZ $885mill, less whatever tax is returned from the activities.

The board of Callaghan Innovation was announced by MP Steven Joyce in early 2013.

http://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/c...oard-announced

One of the directors is Craig Richardson. He is a director of Jade Software , which is majority overseas owned. He is also the CEO of Wynyard Group, which was spun out of Jade Software and publicly listed as WYN on our exchange. As both firms have access to ready cash from investors should they need it, it might be considered excessive that both companies were recipients of $15mill grants that started on the same date:

1st October 2013, running until 30th September 2016, with a right of renewal. Jades' is for "R&D Growth" and Wynyard's is labelled "Growth Grant".

Roll forward to April 2014, when Jade Software announced a $14.9mill repayment to its shareholders, because they couldn't find anything useful to invest their Wynyard windfall into. Jade (NZ) had been losing money since 2009, but suddenly had a profit, thanks to the sharemarket.

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/jade-so...loat-bd-155341

Wynyard Group is showing an increasing ability to shed money, they lost $22mill in 2014, about twice what they lost the year before.

As a result of the company’s decision to accelerate its global expansion by bringing forward planned investment in sales and marketing personnel, partner sales channels, and product development, Net Loss for the year increased to $22.2m (2013 $11.2mı).
    At 31 December 2014, Wynyard’s cash at bank was $23.3 million which, together with receivables, was on plan.
    Now I'm wondering if $30mill of taxpayers money on offer to these two businesses, would be better spent on 4,687 undergraduate summer holiday jobs under another of Callaghan's areas. Currently only 240 student spots are available across the country, each year. Students missing out on these spots have to compete for jobs in all sorts of areas, most not applicable to their chosen careers.

W69, you were saying we should watch out for the TPPA, being pushed by National. Here are two videos from Auckland Uni about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-2...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by elZorro; 07-05-2015 at 08:59 PM.

How Labour can win the next election
    http://bowalleyroad.blogspot.co.nz/

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    How Labour can win the next election
    http://bowalleyroad.blogspot.co.nz/

westerly
    I'm sure Chris has some of the answers, but not all of them. So far this year, John Key has been doing enough to win Labour some votes. Andrew Little will turn out to be a statesman, he's close now. I think NZ wants to see some smart, sensible policies that look like they'll work. They are being fed into head office at a good rate, by solid Labour supporters.

Here's another company that could uplift $15mill of grants over three years, Kakapo Research and Devt Ltd.

It says here that this is a firm with 14 staff, they're consultants/programmers and perhaps working inside some secret place like Treasury, writing a leading risk handling package to trade securities etc.

http://www.kakapo.co.nz/about/about.html

So they'll need to spend $75 mill on R&D over 3 years, claim back $15mill, but it means they'll spend over $1.78 mill on R&D per staff member per year? They must be very good. David Cunliffe asked questions in Parliament about Kakapo and 4RF, Jade, ikeGPS, Magic Pulse (Kitomba) regarding their $15mill grants. Batted away by Steven Joyce, it's in the Hansard.

Endace has a $15mill grant limit. Overseas owned now, has already had heaps of grants from NZ taxpayers. Scott Tech, Rakon (lost share value), PEB,FPH, FPA (Haier) Gallagher Group, Dynamic Controls (was a big NZ manufacturer, now mostly offshore, registered in Netherlands) and are USA listed, WETA - all have grants too. Dynamic Controls was our biggest contract electronic manufacturer, bought by Invacare (US) in 1993, they have registered the holding company in the Netherlands for some reason.

A 2010 article about FRST grants, the forerunner of Callaghan Innovation. All these firms were again funded in at least the 2013-2014 year, for three years ahead. Yet during this time, the numbers of staff manufacturing goods of this type in NZ has dropped. This taxpayer cash has been used, in many cases, to help cover R&D in NZ (often for overseas owners), while at the same time manufacturing continues to move offshore.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/bus...cal-innovators

Enough already. What scarce funds we should have available, given the govt's deficit, should be spent on encouraging 20 or 100 times more smaller firms to get ready to export - they will be 5-20 years away from looking like these more established firms, but at least they'll do all their work in NZ, they'll be owned by NZers, they'll pay their taxes here, they'll export goods and services from here, they won't be listed companies, they'll refund those grants to the govt if the business is sold to other buyers within say 5 years of drawing them down.

The National govt doesn't appear to have learnt any lessons from previous funding rounds, or more likely they are happy to accelerate the process. Under this system, NZ manufacturing jobs in the tech sector have dropped, tax income has dropped, production per capita dropped for several years, and the economy has not grown substantially at all, reflected in growing Crown debt.
    Last edited by elZorro; 08-05-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Legend

Gareth Morgan on his comprehensive property tax. He fails to mention why ordinary homeowners, who don't get to claim interest as a cost, would have to pay the same tax rate as an investor, who does reclaim the interest cost and some other expenses in their tax return. I think the CGT is fairer, who cares if there is a loophole on your own home? It is rarely a true investment, if all costs out of tax-paid income and labour put in, are considered.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...day+8+May+2015

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Gareth Morgan on his comprehensive property tax. He fails to mention why ordinary homeowners, who don't get to claim interest as a cost, would have to pay the same tax rate as an investor, who does reclaim the interest cost and some other expenses in their tax return. I think the CGT is fairer, who cares if there is a loophole on your own home? It is rarely a true investment, if all costs out of tax-paid income and labour put in, are considered.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...day+8+May+2015
    A gain is a gain. It should apply to everything if ever implemented, but with permitted repatriation. I wouldn't like to see homeowners taxed because they upgrade, downsize, transfer etc. Same with commercial, industrial and residential investment and business goodwill. An exit tax rather than a cgt based on transactions.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    A gain is a gain. It should apply to everything if ever implemented, but with permitted repatriation. I wouldn't like to see homeowners taxed because they upgrade, downsize, transfer etc. Same with commercial, industrial and residential investment and business goodwill. An exit tax rather than a cgt based on transactions.
    FP, repatriation means that any savvy investor or person with the means will simply buy/sell commercial building(s) or rentals as needed, get an agency to handle them, and retire on the weekly rental income, while never paying a tax on capital gains as each step is made. Except at the very end, which could be decades away. That is not a stable govt income, or one that can be put into a spreadsheet model. PAYE from ordinary employees heads into the govt coffers once a month. GST every 2 months to 6 months. Provisional taxes every 3-4 months. But a capital gains tax would be perhaps once in a lifetime?

A simple rule would be: If you have an asset that you've been able to claim interest and some costs on, against probable income from that asset and/or other income, and you sell it, then you pay a suitable CGT if appropriate at that point, before moving into another investment with the majority of the new funds. Think how simple this rule would be: it would remove a lot of work for tax accountants. It would also mean that if you owned a bach but didn't rent it out or claim interest costs etc, then it's outside the CGT rules.

FP, you had no comment on the Callaghan funds.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    FP, repatriation means that any savvy investor or person with the means will simply buy/sell commercial building(s) or rentals as needed, get an agency to handle them, and retire on the weekly rental income, while never paying a tax on capital gains as each step is made. Except at the very end, which could be decades away.
    You overlook the income tax an investor who actively trades pays.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 08-05-2015 at 09:39 AM.