sharetrader
Page 801 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3017017517917977987998008018028038048058118519011301 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,010 of 16077

EZ, with all this bad economic news you must be getting excited - increases the odds of National losing doesn't it

Wonder who will come first if that happens?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    EZ, with all this bad economic news you must be getting excited - increases the odds of National losing doesn't it

Wonder who will come first if that happens?
    In an ideal world, National would be able to steer NZ through these crises as though they didn't exist. But of course, they will need to ramp up the overseas borrowing again, as their only solution to a tricky situation. I don't think the voters will be happy with that answer, they'll get the stick they deserve for being useless with the levers of power.

Labour should get alongside the Greens and NZ First early on in this cycle, head off the naysayers and ride it out, this would be a solid and useful coalition.

Or, NZ could rely on Steven Joyce's MBIE to get things going.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/24-0...-video-6341602

Here is the actual detail on the MBIE move to Stout St and adjacent Featherston St.

http://www.mbie.govt.nz/pdf-library/...%20COSTS-w.pdf

It was $2mill under budget, sure, if you can believe that, but nearly $16mill was spent on this project , including nearly $6mill fitout spent on a building they don't own, and another $10mill on furniture and loose fittings, other costs.

MBIE then moved some staff into these two buildings, but still have about 500 staff spread around parts of another 5 buildings in Wellington. These people cannot be fitted into the two newly fitted out buildings, they are at capacity.

But this is all OK, because by spending $16mill now, the government will be able to save an estimated $2mill in staff accommodation costs each year. At least all this money was placed in the external economy to be cycled around. While the Stout Street site is not even where all the main work is done by MBIE, it will be a good spot for the politicians to visit.
    Last edited by elZorro; 30-06-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Yea but lets not use that headroom huh & its a closer Greek scenario than the one you tried to draw. ;-)
    And where is the plan to pay it off? Or will that be left up to a newly elected government.... again .
    I would say Key stacks up better than many in his own party as well, not that is saying much, (pull ponytail), but he's the one that selects them as his cabinet, even if he does sin-bin them once & awhile.
    Remind me. What committee did Mike Sabin chair just before he disappeared off the political scene?
    Greece.......Puerto Rico ....Ukraine ....... New Zealand?
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

... I would like even to see a voluntary scheme where people can opt out of the pension.
    That is already the case. It is not compulsory to apply for National Super. No application, no pension.

Yeah fair enough. I wonder how many actually don't apply?
    If 10% of those eligible didn't apply, I think it would same circa $1Bln pa.

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    That is already the case. It is not compulsory to apply for National Super. No application, no pension.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Yeah fair enough. I wonder how many actually don't apply?
    If 10% of those eligible didn't apply, I think it would same circa $1Bln pa.
    Daytr
    I was speaking to someone he other day, he is 69, works full time and completely saves all his super every month. I am not sure this was envisaged when national super was initiated in 1975. It makes you think how long can this can, or should go on for. I am perplexed as to why the under 40s are not getting collectively angrier about this inequity. I guess it is explained that all governments are terrified of the baby boomers( I am one, 57yrs old)

SP, I think there is some anti baby boomer angst amongst the youth in regards these sorts of things and also the environment.
    I'm mid 40's so probably have one eye on a pension, although I'm hoping I won't need it.
    Means testing seems the most obvious thing to do as I like the idea of a pension for those who need it, but for the people with several million of assets then I think they should be cut out.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Anyone got thoughts on what's going on with Chinese stock markets & if they continue to get smashed with a nice little kick from Greece how that could impact the Auckland property market? It would be interesting to have a handle on the leverage of some of these Chinese buyers & if margin calls for stock positions could see a flood of house sales.
    If the above scenario played out I would suggest Nationals ratings would fall in a heap.
    First dairy prices & then log prices & then perhaps the property bubble bursts in Auckland.
    Suddenly all those policies that actually make people feel uncomfortable, but were willing to turn a blind eye to as long as they were making a fortune in property, could become issues of interest.

SP, I think there is some anti baby boomer angst amongst the youth in regards these sorts of things and also the environment.
    I'm mid 40's so probably have one eye on a pension, although I'm hoping I won't need it.
    Means testing seems the most obvious thing to do as I like the idea of a pension for those who need it, but for the people with several million of assets then I think they should be cut out.
    Hmm - so you are saying that the people who paid the most taxes to fund the super scheme shouldn't get it?

Sounds like funny justice to me: either you are stupid, work all your life, safe money, pay taxes but don't get anything out of the pot - or alternatively you join the lefties and suck from the very beginning whatever you can get out of the welfare system ... and hey - as a big reward you get for this behaviour as well your taxpayer funded superannuation.

How do the say: There is a right way - and their is a left way
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

BP, well unfortunately those taxes weren't put away in a separate pool of funds to ensure that the pension was funded.
    So it wasn't funded at all & is being now funded by current tax payers.
    I don't think anyone has the right to live off empty political promises.
    Wasn't it National, Muldoon era that scrapped Super?
    And now its National again not funding the Cullen fund.
    I see also they are going to spend a huge amount on roads.
    Key's motorways, billions spent, I wonder where the money is coming from?
    More debt?