sharetrader
Page 840 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3407407908308368378388398408418428438448508909401340 ... LastLast
Results 8,391 to 8,400 of 16077
    Guru

In some countries nothing gets done without bribes. Not right but the reality. The USA call it "tipping"

I think you will find even bribery is illegal in the US. Nothing might get done, but that doesn't make it what it is, corruption & bribery.
    As I said would you be happy for NZ government officials to take bribes and nothing got done about it?
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    In some countries nothing gets done without bribes. Not right but the reality. The USA call it "tipping"
    I worked in Asia for a number of years. I gave it my own definition, which helped me in getting things done.
    Bribery was paying to get things done quickly, that would perhaps have gotten done correctly, eventually. But perhaps not. Just greasing the wheels.
    Corruption was getting things done that were never going to be done, perhaps because they were illegal.
    Example; the day I arrived the factory closed down at 5pm because the kampung next door said the noise was keeping the babies awake!!
    Solution, the head man of the Kampung was made our official nightwatchman, with pay of course. Problem solved.

Advanced Member

Its also common in NZ. We call it cash jobs - and any other names. Look at all the Maori activities that have to be endured, at cost, to get stuff through. Taniwhas appear and have to be appeased. Central European chap gets shot by the police - he was probably some sort of Catholic - and a kaumata and kuia have to go there and "bless" the spot?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Its also common in NZ. We call it cash jobs - and any other names. Look at all the Maori activities that have to be endured, at cost, to get stuff through. Taniwhas appear and have to be appeased. Central European chap gets shot by the police - he was probably some sort of Catholic - and a kaumata and kuia have to go there and "bless" the spot?
    Possibly all a matter of perspective, Craic. An agnostic might be bemused by any religion or belief system being called in to bless something.

The employment stats were released today for the June quarter, and the detail is that another 24,000 people entered the job market, but only 7,000 extra people were employed. Quite a few people gave up on participating in the job market, and more joined the dole queue. The trend for the employment percentage is heading downwards.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_...PJun15qtr.aspx

Stanace, and you ran the risk of getting caught. Same with someone doing cash jobs, however not that this is in the same league!
    Remember this is a government we are talking about paying an individual so they can influence policy.
    As I said would you be happy if our MPs accepted personal bribes in the millions and implemented policy on the back of it ?
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

Nick Smith has to agree with the concept that there is a big shortage of housing stock in Auckland.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...+6+August+2015

This has been known for a while, but on the back of record net immigration recently, National's policies appear to be fuelling that problem. Maybe they're hoping that some kind of market magic will transform NZ. Instead, we're seeing a rising unemployment rate, and the shortage of housing there is projected to get worse. That'll help anyone with existing ownership in Auckland, but not those looking to buy their first property.

Surely Labour's KiwiBuild policy is a great idea - use the size and heft of the govt finances to help set up a massive building infrastructure to realise efficiencies in house building, including houses which are built to specific budgets that the main building sector aren't too interested in, onsold to recoup costs. Meanwhile the manufacturing and building trades are boosted enormously, and lots more people get industry training.

Overview from an organised structure like this (linked to local bodies) should work out better than ad-hoc developers working all through the city, mostly building very high-value housing. I acknowledge firms like Fletchers, building whole streets of houses on the periphery of the city, so some of the market is working fine. It's just not enough, obviously.

EZ, National know that the economy would be in freefall without mass immigration and the building it creates. We have a building boom in Auckland, although still not enough to keep up with immigration and the influence of foreign buyers. We also have the re-build in CHC, the Government borrowing more & more money and funding massive road building projects & yet growth is limping along. Their primary industry drive is coming unstuck and they have let the regions die with lack of investment in infrastructure and centralization. There are industries crying out for guidance, dairy was obvious & the threat to NZ even more obvious yet they stood by when non dairy areas such as Canterbury converted. The honey industry is another & if we don't get act together in regards bio boarder control could be wiped out or if we don't get our IP together the same could happen. Kauri swamp logs being shipped out under the closed eyes of the MPI. National's investment dollar is so poorly spent and the returns pathetic. Billions & billions on roads! Pathetic.
    Last edited by Daytr; 06-08-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Nick Smith has to agree with the concept that there is a big shortage of housing stock in Auckland.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...+6+August+2015

This has been known for a while, but on the back of record net immigration recently, National's policies appear to be fuelling that problem. Maybe they're hoping that some kind of market magic will transform NZ. Instead, we're seeing a rising unemployment rate, and the shortage of housing there is projected to get worse. That'll help anyone with existing ownership in Auckland, but not those looking to buy their first property.

Surely Labour's KiwiBuild policy is a great idea - use the size and heft of the govt finances to help set up a massive building infrastructure to realise efficiencies in house building, including houses which are built to specific budgets that the main building sector aren't too interested in, onsold to recoup costs. Meanwhile the manufacturing and building trades are boosted enormously, and lots more people get industry training.

Overview from an organised structure like this (linked to local bodies) should work out better than ad-hoc developers working all through the city, mostly building very high-value housing. I acknowledge firms like Fletchers, building whole streets of houses on the periphery of the city, so some of the market is working fine. It's just not enough, obviously.
    EZ, not sure, why this would be a political issue at all. The rest of the world does just fine in housing people in apartment blocks (http://www.thejournal.ie/best-apartm...53671-Oct2014/) - and it is neither difficult nor expensive (well, on a per apartment-basis) to build a small settlement with 25000 units. Or - if you don't want to house them all in one place - make it 3 "settlements" with 8000 units each.

Great for energy efficiency, great for public transport, shorter ways to shops and work. And all Auckland housing problems solved in one stroke. Win-win-win. As indicated - has been done all over the world, its only New Zealand still living in the stone age of human habitation ... one cave (or box) per family.

Maybe this could be something useful for Labour to do ... investigate appartment settlements around the world and find out what it would take a Kiwi household to move into a cheaper, well equipped, energy efficient and warm apartment unit instead of living in a standalone box surrounded by high fences and many other standalone boxes.

Isn't it Labour supposed to push the social idea? Just help us to make Kiwis more social (and I don't mean the Friday evening binge) and this problem disappears ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Keep reading that the regions are suffering in the economic gloom that the left seek out as a ray of hope for their future. All indicators are that this region, Hawkes Bay, is booming. Dairy farmers are about to go under because they over-committed in a boom and purchased properties for silly amounts.My neighbour is down to buy some bobby calves this year and raise them. He is a plumber, in full time work. Another friend raises pigs - he works for the local council. Both have offered me involvement but I don't need the money. Maybe dairy farmers could raise their own bobby calves and a few pigs on their excess milk? Maybe you and I would not have to buy Australian beef and Canadian pork from the supermarket. Maybe if Labour worked in this area of diversification of our primary assets,people might listen.