sharetrader
Page 846 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3467467968368428438448458468478488498508568969461346 ... LastLast
Results 8,451 to 8,460 of 16077

BP, if you really want an example of true bullying, look no further than the Prime Minister and his ponytail pulling obsession with a waitress.
    That is the problem when your political leaders set a bad example, others think its ok to follow suit in similar playground tactics i.e. calling people names or poor debate i.e. look in the mirror. LOL
    Its ok BP, I'll take it a bit easier on you, as you are obviously struggling with the debate having to resort to dirty politic type tactics.

So now it appears McCully has not only paid bribes to a Saudi businessman, the government accordi9ng to report on National Radio has also fraudulently created invoices to make the payments look kosher. Apparently NZ was paying for Intellectual Property, as that what the invoices were made up for to pay the bribes. What IP did we ever receive? Wasn't it us giving them IP if anything to set up a farm in the middle of the desert ?
    This is getting dodgier by the day & this could force a police investigation into what appears to be fraud.
    Key will do everything to ensure this doesn't become a criminal case as he has consistently made up a story in regards why these payments were made. IP certainly wasn't part of his fiction. Apparently it was all Labour's fault! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Daytr, you might be here a bit economical with the truth. I never called you a racist. I did call however some of Labours and NZF's actions racist ... and I might have used this attribute as well for some of Winston's campaigns. As far as the other term is concerned - just look into the mirror and you will see .
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

""Where are the fresh new high-tech export manufacturers that will broaden our economy and keep us in first world status? They should have been on the go since 2009,""

To be fair..... it was only a couple of years before 2009 that the labour party gave china most favored nation status and opened the door to the mass produced high-tech products
    that we in NZ cant produce for the same cost.... therefore we lost alot of high-tech start ups and enterprise. If you look at what china produces in the high-tech range of products...... there isnt really much that NZ can compete with. We here in NZ are good inventors and that is about it....... we invent ...... then we sell the IP.
    NZ is not alone in this dilemma...... most first world countries send their manufacturing to cheap labour countries.
    If however we produced high-tech weapons systems or computing capacity or medicine, then it might stay "in country" until our "allies" take it from us.
    The simple fact is our high-tech industry is very clever and creative, trouble is with a very small gdp as a nation we dont have the investment money available to
    compete with the rest of the world.
    And having an open door economy with such a small population base is very noble and world leading........ except it keeps us out of high-tech industrial manufacturing
    on a global scale.
    Sad really, but not the fault of right wing governments...... not left wing either....... but the "most favored nation" policy hasnt helped our economy to diversity.
    So i see it anyway.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by neopoleII View Post
    ""Where are the fresh new high-tech export manufacturers that will broaden our economy and keep us in first world status? They should have been on the go since 2009,""

To be fair..... it was only a couple of years before 2009 that the labour party gave china most favored nation status and opened the door to the mass produced high-tech products
    that we in NZ cant produce for the same cost.... therefore we lost alot of high-tech start ups and enterprise. If you look at what china produces in the high-tech range of products...... there isnt really much that NZ can compete with. We here in NZ are good inventors and that is about it....... we invent ...... then we sell the IP.
    NZ is not alone in this dilemma...... most first world countries send their manufacturing to cheap labour countries.
    If however we produced high-tech weapons systems or computing capacity or medicine, then it might stay "in country" until our "allies" take it from us.
    The simple fact is our high-tech industry is very clever and creative, trouble is with a very small gdp as a nation we dont have the investment money available to
    compete with the rest of the world.
    And having an open door economy with such a small population base is very noble and world leading........ except it keeps us out of high-tech industrial manufacturing
    on a global scale.
    Sad really, but not the fault of right wing governments...... not left wing either....... but the "most favored nation" policy hasnt helped our economy to diversity.
    So i see it anyway.
    Thoughtful comments NeopoleII. In the business I'm involved with, we do have links to Chinese manufacturing and suppliers, but we keep it to a minimum. We use them for components, not the design or the main manufacturing. We can do this because our products are niche and relatively low volume, but highish value. Then we export most of these value added goods, with very little competition. There is nothing to stop hundreds of small businesses in NZ doing the same thing, trading from small urban premises or houses if they need to. Sure, it's not on a global scale, and no-one has wanted to buy my IP in any major way yet, but it is exciting and challenging, and NZ needs a lot more of this sort of employment opportunity. Out of hundreds of small startups, surely some will end up being like Xero (only profitable?) or F&P (for much of their lifecycle, or Tait (forever), etc.

National have been helping out the bigger businesses far too much, at the expense of a lot more smaller businesses. The big guys are looking to downsize their workforce with systems and robotics, or they're into IT, which I guess is OK. But a lot of this IP is easily moved offshore, as you state. Looking at all of NZ, we need more manufacturing jobs, not less, to soak up some of the school leavers. Now tell me, where are those jobs going to come from?

Labour knew where they'd come from, their policies helped build the economy up, people got employed. That's what we need to have again.

""We use them for components, not the design or the main manufacturing. We can do this because our products are niche and relatively low volume, but highish value. Then we export most of these value added goods, with very little competition""

now this is interesting........ i also import my raw materials from china and / or india. then custom make my high value one off products and sell to the NZ public as specified. we also export about 5% of our product. since thinking about your reply i have thought about my business and besides the brick and mortar.... all the machinery, all of the software, and all of our consumables.... are all imported. it is only the design and custom manufacture that is done here..... that part is what comes from my mind and my hands and the way i use the imported tools and materials to achieve our custom products....... so besides my profit which my "back of the scene no input boss" clips the ticket of...... there is not much of a "NZ" gain.

my own business at home is also using imported materials and imported tools and imported consumables..... its only the workshop and electricity that is NZ made.
    the design and manufacture is my value added input and most of my made to order creations are sold to overseas visitors and then shipped to them a few months later.
    good for me and my family and the import wholesalers i buy from and the tax man ....... but no one else......... except when i spend my export $.

as you said...... there are many niche markets that we can compete with...... trouble is..... niche is always low volume..... therefore low employment opportunity.
    countries get rich by mass production or cornering segments of industry..... or excelling in certain or precise fields.

as a nation, we find this difficult to do.

to be honest..... i dont think any political party can change the situation NZ is in..... it would take a groundswell of public opinion which is not politically motivated
    to make meaningful change to NZs direction or culture.

but i do like reading this thread..... even though i dont post that often...... i work 12 hrs a day now and am enjoying my creativity.... doh! work.

cheers

Mike Hosking says nothing wrong with dairy .....so there

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11494689
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

NeopoleII, good to hear we are kind of like birds of a feather. It is great to be able to turn creative work into exports and eventually, employment for others, to build something even better and stronger.

W69, I'm starting to find Mike Hosking really annoying. With that dairying topic I'm reasonably informed, so I know he's pushing something uphill with a pointed stick. For a kickoff, farmers would need to unwind a whole lot of capital expenses and systems to get back to a lower cost production, similar to where they were in 2001-2003. Most of them won't, they'll be hoping for a rebound in the payout before long. As someone commented down the end there, Hosking should do some research on worldwide dairy production, then he might not be so certain of himself.

After all, NZ is exporting long-life product to these countries, in the form of rotary cowsheds and all the other equipment they'll need. We'll even supply well-bred stock, how's that?

Daytr, yes, I agree about the Saudi deal looking worse by the day. That phrase looks like a classic backhander one, very murky politics National are getting involved in. Millions of dollars of taxpayers money involved, but of course it doesn't stack up against Helen Clark signing someone else's painting so a charity could earn a bit more money from private bidders. We'll never hear the end of that one.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11491836

In November 2012, Mr Al Khalaf wrote to Mr McCully to agree to "your offer of a capital contribution and a contribution for investment in research and development, as outlined in your letter of 12 November 2012".
    The deal was signed off by Cabinet in February 2013.
    Mr Al Khalaf's business partner was told, "for your invoice of $4 million please state that it is for services set out under the contract".
    Auditor-General Lyn Provost reviewed the deal, at the request of Cabinet.
    Her office judged an initial business case to be "weak", and later stressed its involvement had to be limited.
    Last edited by elZorro; 10-08-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Advanced Member

I have resisted publishing this since before the labour party lost the treasury benches but here goes. I was on the street outside an RSA when a QC who is a friend of mine came along with the good Dr Cullen and we had a short conversation. My friend remarked on my involvement with the share market and Cullen replied with the most inane of comments leaving me with the impression that he was a dickhead who knew everything about finances - in his own mind. When my friend suggested a visit to the RSA he got a comment about a few old men sitting behind pints and the pair promptly moved on to a café just down the road where the lawyers and accountants have their coffee breaks. Maybe all politicians are from the same more I have to do with them the more I like the idea of a benign dictatorship

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    I have resisted publishing this since before the labour party lost the treasury benches but here goes. I was on the street outside an RSA when a QC who is a friend of mine came along with the good Dr Cullen and we had a short conversation. My friend remarked on my involvement with the share market and Cullen replied with the most inane of comments leaving me with the impression that he was a dickhead who knew everything about finances - in his own mind. When my friend suggested a visit to the RSA he got a comment about a few old men sitting behind pints and the pair promptly moved on to a café just down the road where the lawyers and accountants have their coffee breaks. Maybe all politicians are from the same more I have to do with them the more I like the idea of a benign dictatorship
    Craic, not the best experience I guess. From the timing of this encounter, I'd guess the other two chaps had a bit more in common (politically), than you're letting on. Don't forget that Dr Cullen did leave behind some great results. Anyway, you have the last laugh, you're probably raking in a good income from your sharemarket expertise, and he's probably not.

Actually - here is a great example for what's wrong with the union movement. The bullies at PPTA trying to screw up the career of a junior teacher, just because he dares to work for a charter school:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-a...ectid=11491570

Worthwhile reading. Unions just can't help to raise their ugly face ... even in NZ.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Advanced Member

Thank heavens my only Grandson - so far - Has started at St Pauls, London and will not be a victim of some of the teachers we have here. When his father was at intermediate, we were called in and told that he tested in the "bottom 5%" in his ability to learn. We eventually allowed him to leave school from the fourth form to follow a career - he had been offered a job by an employer who recognised his potential. He has an honours degree from London and a senior position that allows him to afford the fees for his son at St Pauls and a daughter at another public school. Quite a few refugees fro that profession escaped to the Probation Service during my career. It looks like that they are heading to the same position as the wharfies of old where you had to be a paid-up member of the Labour party to get into the union and work there.