sharetrader
Page 882 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3827828328728788798808818828838848858868929329821382 ... LastLast
Results 8,811 to 8,820 of 16077

Helen Who? Was.

I think everyone including the media has lost interest in Amanda Bailey (I had to think hard to work out who she was), she has expressed an interest to return to an anonymous normal life and it's only a few desperate nutcase left wingers who are into it.

Legend

Daytr - very interesting, just shows how important it is for any political candidate to be absolutely above board in all their personal matters, and vetted by LECs that put them forward for nomination. I think if an MP does something wrong in their normal duties, once elected, that's different.

MVT and Craic, FYI. The Wikipedia pages mention that Helen Clark is currently about the 23rd most powerful woman in the world. Not bad.

Amanda Bailey might want to go back to having an anonymous life. But she also has a powerful opportunity to strike a blow for workers' rights, common decency, and also to help usher a failing National Govt out of office. Quite a lot of responsibility for a young person, I know. But I'm sure it will do her future job prospects no harm, there are still a few leftie employers out there.

"MVT and Craic, FYI. The Wikipedia pages mention that Helen Clark is currently about the 23rd most powerful woman in the world. Not bad. "

So, what am I supposed to do with this somewhat subjective and meaningless information? Grovel and abase myself whenever I see a photo of her? If it was based on personal wealth she would come nowhere. If it was based on qualifications she would come nowhere. Political Science is a laughing stock as a university subject, if it was say physics, chemistry, mathematics I would accord her some respect.

She is a total personal failure in the Darwinian sense which is the only one which counts in the long run. I have 4 children and 8 grandchildren, Me 12, Helen Clark 0.

I never voted for her, she has passed her apogee and is now slowly sinking back to earth with an ever increasing momentum.

If its any comfort to you I totally detest that outlandish boor Donald Trump and place him even lower than Helen Clark.
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 16-09-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Well there is a reasonable chance that Helen Clark could one day become the UN Secretary General.
    So MVT & Craic, you are just displaying your ignorance & undermines any credibility you have posting on here
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Ignorance? An easy uninformed charge to throw around when you are desperate and losing the argument. She has zilch chance of becoming UN Secretary General, amongst other things she doesn't come from the 3rd World and isn't coloured. Bang., she's gone as a candidate.

Veteran novice

Becoming UN Secretary General probably increased one's salary - but does it improve one's ranking in the "most powerful" stakes?

Not, if recent history is any indication!

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    The New Statesman had this to say today "Can Jeremy Corbyn and Labour MPs learn to get along?

The leadership candidate has the declared support of just 15 MPs. Both sides are preparing to enter what feels like an alternate universe. " :-)

There have also been a number of comments in the British news media and pollies that Jeremy Corbyn has not proposed any new policies. He is simply proposing policies that have already failed in the 1940s and 1950s.
    Major
    What economic policies in the 1950s that the Conservative governments of Winston Churchill, Antony Eden, Sir Harold MacMillan and Sir Alec Douglas Hume were failures. I would have thought that conservative administrations were your ideological buddies who could do no wrong??I really think you need to go back to University and do some history papers my friend
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 16-09-2015 at 11:56 AM.

Ignorance? An easy uninformed charge to throw around when you are desperate and losing the argument. She has zilch chance of becoming UN Secretary General, amongst other things she doesn't come from the 3rd World and isn't coloured. Bang., she's gone as a candidate.
    Norway, Sweden, Austria, Peru, Egypt, Ghana, and Myanamar have all had a UN Secretary General. Apart from Myanamar, none of these countries
    could be classed 3rd. world.
    The thought of having 12 little majors or majorettes around is deserving of some consideration. Or maybe not

westerly

"MVT and Craic, FYI. The Wikipedia pages mention that Helen Clark is currently about the 23rd most powerful woman in the world. Not bad. "

So, what am I supposed to do with this somewhat subjective and meaningless information? Grovel and abase myself whenever I see a photo of her? If it was based on personal wealth she would come nowhere. If it was based on qualifications she would come nowhere. Political Science is a laughing stock as a university subject, if it was say physics, chemistry, mathematics I would accord her some respect.

She is a total personal failure in the Darwinian sense which is the only one which counts in the long run. I have 4 children and 8 grandchildren, Me 12, Helen Clark 0.

I never voted for her, she has passed her apogee and is now slowly sinking back to earth with an ever increasing momentum.

If its any comfort to you I totally detest that outlandish boor Donald Trump and place him even lower than Helen Clark.
    "if it was say physics, chemistry, mathematics I would accord her some respect."

Bill English has a degree from Victoria in English Literature. I take it from your comments the that you have no respect for Bill English.

Yaris Varoufakis has a Masters in Mathematics and PhD in Economics. So I assume you have more respect for him because of his academic background.
    As for poor old John Key, well he just has a tatty old BCom from Canterbury, obviously no respect from the Major. As for Sir Richard Branson and Bill Gates, well they either dropped out or didn't go to University, so no stamp of approval from old Major there either

I may not be your intent, but you are coming across as a narrow minded, intellectual snob.

Haha ok MVt, the rest of the world is uninformed except you & Craic.
    You forgot one major aspect in her favour besides the obvious intelligence and well respected diplomatic skills.
    She is a woman! And perhaps its about time the UN had a woman as its head?
    It would seem in line with most political movements around the world.
    She has been ranked as one of the most influential women in the world & she is already one of the top 2-5 people in the UN right now.
    So I would say her chances are considerably higher than zilch. Just because you don't like her or respect her, that doesn't change her odds one bit.

Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.