sharetrader
Page 887 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 3877878378778838848858868878888898908918979379871387 ... LastLast
Results 8,861 to 8,870 of 16077

Really, you obviously aren't reading the mainstream press then.
    National could have made this change if they wanted to, however Key didn't want to admit he has got the whole referendum process horribly wrong.
    Whilst I commend the Greens for their willingness to work across the political spectrum, some thing the new co-leader seems to have brought with him, however it doesn't change for me that the process has been flawed from go to woe and the timing isn't right.
    Not going vote in the 1st referendum and a vote in favour of the current flag in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    No. As most commentators agree, Key was smart enough to shake hands with the Greens and shaft Labour, as he has been doing effectively for years.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

The article discusses that. The demographics are such that this will outstrip advantages in robotics/ lights out factories. Service industries in the future will be severely tested. You have a cohort of senior management who have always had an abundant source of relatively low cost labour with comparatively benign industrial legislation framework. In our country companies such as Restaurant Brands will find the evolving labour shortage difficult. The days of opening a café, adverting for staff and having a stack of CVs arriving and then paying them the minimum wage will come to an end

Lift the Pension qualifying age by a couple of years. Remove the requirement to retire at any age. Use more man-machine systems and so on. That article reminds me of the articles I read in the 1950's predicting the dire consequences of population growth and the inevitability of starvation within a decade. I'm sure that you will get equally qualified experts who will totally disagree with the author and the papers will have an equally newsworthy item to publish.
    You must remember there was a nett labour shortage in this country until the early seventies of which would have benefited yourself Craic when emigrating here in 1960 It might be a case of back to the future me thinks

Its an interesting point Sgt Pepper and we can already see it in the US workforce stats with a plummeting participation rate as the baby boomers are retiring in droves from generally high paid jobs & being replaced by low paid workers at the other end. That's why the US recovery is quite often referred to the 'Burger Flipper' recovery. To attract workers or stop them retiring early etc they will need to pay higher wages which is obviously inflationary. There are still a few Asian countries to slot in behind China as the next labour pool, but they obviously aren't the same scale.
    Efficiency through technology will offset some of the risk, but not all.
    The next twenty years are going to be interesting.
    Last edited by Daytr; 24-09-2015 at 04:44 PM.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

When I got off the boat I couldn't believe my eyes. The large-format Dominion had eight pages of job with all sorts of incentives - plenty of overtime, subsidised lunches, attendance bonuses and the like. A quick run around town would get two or three jobs and then into the pub to decide which one to take. In the early seventies if a probationer or parolee reported unemployed and claimed that he couldn't get work I directed him to report daily at 8.30 am. It never took more than 48 hours to get him working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    You must remember there was a nett labour shortage in this country until the early seventies of which would have benefited yourself Craic when emigrating here in 1960 It might be a case of back to the future me thinks
    Last edited by craic; 24-09-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Legend

Here's a bit about the job losses in the agricultural research sector. It's not a surprise, but is it a good thing? Are the Callaghan projects providing better value for money?

http://www.interest.co.nz/rural-news...September+2015

Here's one that won't be taking on many staff in NZ for a while, Endace, which started in Hamiltown. Amazing technology, but maybe the market isn't very big.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...September+2015
    Last edited by elZorro; 25-09-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Advanced Member

All the UK Labour leaders for the past few decades, about six of them have started their tenure with a popularity rating from about 16% to about 20%. The latest fellow comes in at minus 3%. Refer to todays Daily Mail online. I'm not sure how you get a negative rating - If no one wants you, you get nothing - but minus 3%?
    Last edited by craic; 25-09-2015 at 01:37 PM.

All the UK Labour leaders for the past few decades, about six of them have started their tenure with a popularity rating from about 16% to about 20%. The latest fellow comes in at minus 3%. Refer to todays Daily Mail online. I'm not sure how you get a negative rating - If no one wants you, you get nothing - but minus 3%?
    Yes but you have got to be careful writing off leaders prospects too early. Watched an interesting documentary on Margaret Thatcher. When first elected her position was far from secure within the conservative party with many senior power brokers deeply distrustful of her. If the Argentine Military government had not invaded he Falklands then it was highly likely Michael Hesseltine would have had the support to dump her and her historical legacy quite different

Something along the lines of "% of Labour voters in favour of Corbyn 25%; % of Labour voters against Corbyn 28%; Don't know/Don't care/A plague on all Your Houses/He's not Left Wing Enough 47%, answer a negative rating of minus 3....

I think the answer is probably contained in this Daily Mail quote "Only 33% say Jeremy Corbyn is doing well compared to 36% who say badly
    From Michael Foot to Ed Miliband, all Labour leaders have started off better
    Corbyn seen as more honest but Cameron is judged a more capable leader
    Reveals he has been trying out using an autocue to improve speeches
    Vegetarian MP says he 'tolerates' people eating meat in front of him"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3mid2y0ww
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by Major von Tempsky; 25-09-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Advanced Member

So? I tolerate people eating vegetables in front of me. Would not sing God Save The Queen at the Battle of Britain Commemoration. If the place continues to decline and they don't win the World Cup I predict droves of them will be fleeing across Europe to Syria.