sharetrader
Page 915 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 41581586590591191291391491591691791891992596510151415 ... LastLast
Results 9,141 to 9,150 of 16077

Ahh! An early Xmas present....

"Support for National remains just above 50 per cent in the latest Herald-DigiPoll survey.

National's support is up slightly to 51.3 per cent, while Labour remains well behind on 31.1 per cent.

Both the Greens and NZ First are down around 1 per cent, to 8.2 and 5.7 per cent respectively.

But the Maori Party has had a bump in support, up 1.1 per cent to 2.1.

ACT and UnitedFuture are both polling below 1 per cent.

In the preferred prime minister stakes, John Key is well ahead with the backing of 65.2 per cent of voters.

Labour's Andrew Little is up 2.9 per cent to 16.2.

NZ First leader Winston Peters is back on 7.9 per cent."

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    I have made some suggestions on New Forum rules which would vastly improve this thread.

"Elections thread is where behaviour gets most out of hand with a succession of very left wing commentators attempting to impose their point of view on everyone else by non-stop posting. I have counted and commented on where one of these people have posted 5 times in succession (several times) with no other poster getting a word in. They are also quick to call other posters fascists, racist any other hateful label they can think of. They are there every day without letting up in their attempt to impose a party line and politically correct thinking. I suggest rules that (a) no poster may post more than one post at a time (b) posters may not put up more than 2 posts per day on any one thread (c) posters can only post on alternate days (d) personal abuse of other posters is out including labeling them as fascist or racist.
    cheers,
    The Major "
    Pot calling the kettle black, me thinks

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Ahh! An early Xmas present....

"Support for National remains just above 50 per cent in the latest Herald-DigiPoll survey.

National's support is up slightly to 51.3 per cent, while Labour remains well behind on 31.1 per cent.

Both the Greens and NZ First are down around 1 per cent, to 8.2 and 5.7 per cent respectively.

But the Maori Party has had a bump in support, up 1.1 per cent to 2.1.

ACT and UnitedFuture are both polling below 1 per cent.

In the preferred prime minister stakes, John Key is well ahead with the backing of 65.2 per cent of voters.

Labour's Andrew Little is up 2.9 per cent to 16.2.

NZ First leader Winston Peters is back on 7.9 per cent."
    Yes I think John Key and National will be pretty satisfied with this end of year poll, after 7 years in power. He appears to be much more popular with voters than could be construed from this thread. Must be the noisy minority albeit a lot less noisy with EZ not here anymore. I hope he comes back.
    The glaring result from this poll is that it appears Winston's star may be fading and NZF voters will go back home to National, except Daytr. But as he is not a Leftie, or so he says, he'd have to vote for ACT unless he is a secret admirer of Key as I suspect may be the case
    Last edited by iceman; 15-12-2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Advanced Member

I think political threads are just fine as they are. We should expect strong views, that is the nature of politics. I would have a problem restricting how many times someone can post. Simple enough to 'ignore' them.

I will vote where the best policy sits, be that Left or Right. I voted for NZF in the by-election because it was the right thing for Northland & its proven to be so with Northland getting much more attention and funding.

But clearly I won't be voting for a Key lead National, as I care about the environment, our national health system and the level of debt that National has incurred since being in government. I will always do well, but I care about the greater good & not just inking the already well to do's pockets.
    If that makes me a lefty in your eyes so be it, however I maintain as I have always said, I'm a centrist.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Dilettante

I care enormously about the environment too Daytr. I have worked in the natural resources industry all my life and was taught from childhood by my grandfather to take care of nature. I have always endeavoured to do so and am proud of many of my achievements to change practices in my industry. I do not believe in trying to stop all industries in the name of the environment but believe in working with industries to continuously improve practices. Unlike the extreme "green brigade" that simply talk the talk, I walk the walk.
    I belong to the BlueGreens where many common sense policies are developed and suggest you join us..

Key gets attacked from his left but no less from his right, even within his own party. That indicates clearly how centrist he and his Government have been and the polls prove it.

If he was as "hard right" as many on here claim he is, he would have taken the knife to some of the more expensive legacy projects and bribes introduced by Helen Clark and Michael Cullen, to reduce costs/debt.
    Start with the Working For Families which is simply nuts.
    Interest free student loans being one of the biggest rorts (free money for "the rich") and the most blatant election bribing in recent memory. Here an interesting recent article about student costs and the stupidity of the loan scheme http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/79...p-degree-which

I will be watching with interest, the Finnish experiment (a small trial for starters) to eliminate the welfare system completely and pay everyone about 1000 EURO per month.
    Last edited by iceman; 16-12-2015 at 02:17 AM.

Good on you Iceman. I come from a Natural Resources back ground as well. And being green should not be a left or right issue, but unfortunately Key's national has a very poor record on regards environmental protection and or resource exploitation such as the ridiculous oil exploration and potential drilling partnership with the likes of Stat Oil.
    And agree with you in some regards, but then there are also times when the exploitation doesn't make sense or the environment should be protected fully from exploitation. I could not support a party with a record in this area such as National. Key's response to the Paris Summit says it all. He is one of the leading heads of state at dragging his heels in regards doing our bit in regards climate change. He either doesn't believe in the man made impact on the atmosphere or doesn't care, I'm not sure which.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I care enormously about the environment too Daytr. I have worked in the natural resources industry all my life and was taught from childhood by my grandfather to take care of nature. I have always endeavoured to do so and am proud of many of my achievements to change practices in my industry. I do not believe in trying to stop all industries in the name of the environment but believe in working with industries to continuously improve practices. Unlike the extreme "green brigade" that simply talk the talk, I walk the walk.
    I belong to the BlueGreens where many common sense policies are developed and suggest you join us..

Key gets attacked from his left but no less from his right, even within his own party. That indicates clearly how centrist he and his Government have been and the polls prove it.

If he was as "hard right" as many on here claim he is, he would have taken the knife to some of the more expensive legacy projects and bribes introduced by Helen Clark and Michael Cullen, to reduce costs/debt.
    Start with the Working For Families which is simply nuts.
    Interest free student loans being one of the biggest rorts (free money for "the rich") and the most blatant election bribing in recent memory. Here an interesting recent article about student costs and the stupidity of the loan scheme http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/79...p-degree-which

I will be watching with interest, the Finnish experiment (a small trial for starters) to eliminate the welfare system completely and pay everyone about 1000 EURO per month.
    Hi Iceman
    The idea of a universal basic income is indeed an exciting one and ,unusually has support from both left and right economists. The complexities of delivering a range of targeted benefits is indeed a challenge and must be extremely difficult for WINZ / IRD staff at the end of a phone, or face to face calculating entitlements to different circumstances. A substantial part of the bureaucracy delivering government transfer payments could be eliminated Consequently a GBI seems very attractive and my initial response is lets just do it. Its something a brave government/opposition party could campaign on however the present National Government is very risk averse, and I don't think Labour would either. However I concede there could be issues I haven't considered
    . What are others opinions?

Not a fan SP. Work is more than just income it also produces a pride and sense of achievement. I'm all for stripping back the benefit system and make it simpler and easier to administer. I also think the pension should be means tested and there should be random drug testing for benefits like the dole.
    The idea of a UBI has also Benn driven by the thought that automation & robotics & computers will replace many of the jobs we do now. That may be truer, but there are plenty of jobs that we don't value, particularly in regards the environment that we could in future. The trouble with looking at something in a pure economic sense is its only one driver of many.

Iceman, I just watched The U.S vs John Lennon & the battle Lennon had with the Nixon administration.

Nixon was re-elected in 1972 by quite a margin and we all know what happened to him and is now seen as a political pariah.
    Key in someway reminds me of Nixon, particularly with his miss-use of power in regards the GCSB on multiple occasions & Nixon did the same courtesy of Hoover & the FBI. Raids on Dotcom, Nicky Hager & now Du-Plessis-allan by the police. Sad state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yes I think John Key and National will be pretty satisfied with this end of year poll, after 7 years in power. He appears to be much more popular with voters than could be construed from this thread. Must be the noisy minority albeit a lot less noisy with EZ not here anymore. I hope he comes back.
    The glaring result from this poll is that it appears Winston's star may be fading and NZF voters will go back home to National, except Daytr. But as he is not a Leftie, or so he says, he'd have to vote for ACT unless he is a secret admirer of Key as I suspect may be the case
    Last edited by Daytr; 16-12-2015 at 10:07 PM.