sharetrader
Page 921 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 42182187191191791891992092192292392492593197110211421 ... LastLast
Results 9,201 to 9,210 of 16077

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    I am glad to see The Privy Council coming back into favour. While the links amongst the old boys establishment of NZ Judges are very strong, the links between this establishment and the British one have frayed and disintegrated. Moreover we get the Privy Council services very cheaply and I for one would be pleased to see the Privy Council without any NZ axes to grind bring a dispassionate view to bear on NZ problems.
    I agree that it would be desirable to get the Privy Council back as highest court of appeal. Our NZ justice system has proven often enough that they are not up to the task - having some more of the old boys (and girls) in the so called "Supreme Court" won't help to right the wrongs our day to day justice creates. A crow doesn't pick out another crow's eyes ... and NZ is too small to be able to provide "Supreme" judges who could independently assess the verdicts decided by other senior judges. They know each other, play golf in the same clubs and have their children growing up together. They obviously prefer to scratch each others backs instead of scrutinizing each others verdicts.

However - it was our latest Labour government which decided in its wisdom to remove for New Zealanders access to the Privy Council. Only "old" cases (prior to 2004) are still allowed to use this independant court in London. The political Left under aunt Helen denied New Zealanders access to this so crucial watchdog of our justice system.

We can only hope that a centre / right government is at some stage able and willing to right this wrong ... and yes, I agree, this would have been more important than the change of the flag debate (who really cares) or the reintroduction of Dames and Sirs (actually - I think a nice touch, but clearly not as important than access to justice if you need it).
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    I think people need to think further back into history. The old Anglo-Saxon kings did not necessarily accede by right of birth, the then Parliament had the determining say - as you would expect after disasters like Ethelred the Unready and Prince Charles (oops, wash your mouth out Major!).

Parliament, which has shown an extreme reluctance to become involved, needs to step up and take it's rightful responsibility. Prince Charles has shown over a lifetime of tree-hugging wrongheadedness he is unfit for the job. Let's just take one issue, the leak of letters showing him pressuring Tony Blair to adopt particular political decisions and paths and even more incredibly, Tony Blair acceding to this pressure! Anyone who does this shows that he doesn't understand what a constitutional monarchy is. Parliament should choose amongst some better qualified candidates, Prince William is the obvious one and well favoured by political polls over Charles. There are some others, e.g. Prince Edward, Prince Harry...

I am glad to see The Privy Council coming back into favour. While the links amongst the old boys establishment of NZ Judges are very strong, the links between this establishment and the British one have frayed and disintegrated. Moreover we get the Privy Council services very cheaply and I for one would be pleased to see the Privy Council without any NZ axes to grind bring a dispassionate view to bear on NZ problems.
    I usually try and keep up to date with the News but have not seen this development regarding the Privy Council. Are you sure the government is planning to restore the Judicial Committee of Privy Council as the final court of appeal?

Trump leading the polls for the Republican nomination in the US must be a major embarrassment for the right of politics.
    This guy would be more damaging than G W Bush!
    I wonder if Key would buddy up to Trump on the golf course like he has Obama?
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

I'll give you a choice for right and left to lead the world. Donald Trump on the right and a short, fat North Korean Dictator on the left. One has heaps of money and popular support amongst people who are free to express an opinion. The other has a terrified nation of A@#$e lickers and some nuclear capacity. You may not like Donald Trump but at least the Americans have the freedom not to vote for him. And just an aside - sooner rather than later, some ordinary individual or group will use drone technology to take out one or the other of them or some other prominent figure from miles away. I propose to carry a shotgun from now on and any drone that enters my property airspace will be disabled.

That's sort of my point Craic, Trump is polling well & as you say they have a choice.
    In North Korea they don't.
    What's that say about the US right wing voter ?
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Advanced Member

It says that all Americans have freedom of choice - as we do. All those people who disagree with your point of view Daytr are free people and all your rubbish about how you are right and they are wrong will not change anything.

No need to get narky Craic.
    So you would vote for Trump if you had the choice ?

Legend

A NZ guy I know, who had lived in midwest USA for a while, told me that there are some questions you don't put to many of these people -they're very nice and sociable otherwise, he said - because you really don't want to hear the answers.
    I think Trump is playing a tune to these people, it's a big voting base.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for the right-wing iPredict to fold up, after refusing to toe the line over ensuring each punter only has one account and plays by the clear rules.

W69, yes I'm aghast that Lynton Crosby has received some kind of award. How many millions of people have been trampled on, so one guy can be applauded in public by his big-business mates?

Legend

A NZ guy I know, who had lived in midwest USA for a while, told me that there are some questions you don't put to many of these people -they're very nice and sociable otherwise, he said - because you really don't want to hear the answers.
    I think Trump is playing a tune to these people, it's a big voting base.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for the right-wing iPredict to fold up, after refusing to toe the line over ensuring each punter only has one account and plays by the clear rules.

W69, yes I'm aghast that Lynton Crosby has received some kind of award. How many millions of people have been trampled on, so one guy can be applauded in public by his big-business mates?

Welcome back EZ!
    I hoping there are enough people in the US to see how scary Trump would be with a military & nukes behind him that if he won the Republican nomination that he then loses to Clinton. I'm not a massive fan of Hilary, but as an alternative to Trump.... Any day of the week!