sharetrader
Page 946 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 44684689693694294394494594694794894995095699610461446 ... LastLast
Results 9,451 to 9,460 of 16077
    Advanced Member

Interesting to note that Lange arrived at a crossroads in his life where he had the option s of becoming a politician or a comedian - he chose the wrong option. He then had the option of staying with his wife or running off with his assistant - he made the wrong choice again. He had the same choice with his cake - keep it or eat it - he ate it, again and again. And this is your idea of the ideal example of a national leader? The "desperate" desire of John Key for a knighthood? and his vanity? Where are you getting these myths from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    I am intrigued by your observation that John Key doing more to raise New Zealands profile than any other previous minister or Prime Minister. On what basis do you believe this to be the case?. Compared to David Lange he is a relatively poor public speaker Unlikely to see him debating at the Oxford Union. I think history will be relatively kind to him, in a Keith Holyoake way. He is, however, by no stretch of the imagination a conviction politician. He has been very careful to decouple any linkage between the flag referendum and our future constitutional arrangements. He desperately wants a knighthood when he does decide to go, which is unsurprising as he has a degree of vanity.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    El Zorro can you please provide links for that... because I believe your statement to be a lie.
    Just google 'mimimum wage by country.' NZ is well down the ratings.

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post

westerly
    NZ is well up the ratings. Australia shows higher but taxes and medical levies even it out pretty much. France, Germany, Belgium, maybe a couple of others are ahead but it's silly to claim we are well down the ratings.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Interesting to note that Lange arrived at a crossroads in his life where he had the option s of becoming a politician or a comedian - he chose the wrong option. He then had the option of staying with his wife or running off with his assistant - he made the wrong choice again. He had the same choice with his cake - keep it or eat it - he ate it, again and again. And this is your idea of the ideal example of a national leader? The "desperate" desire of John Key for a knighthood? and his vanity? Where are you getting these myths from?
    I agree with this Craig. A few posters go on and on about Key wanting knighthood, Key not finishing terms (claims made both last and current term) Judith Collins taking over soon, Key wanting to be High Commissioner or Ambassador. All of it just desperate people opposed to Key.
    EZ saying the PM has no spine by deciding not going to the chaos that is at Waitangi , is simply showing no respect to the office of PM nor the police and Maori Wardens that have to protect him and other dignitaries. I did not like Helen Clark as PM but to see our PM reduced to tears at Waitangi infuriated me. Ngapuhi are a useless organisation beset with infighting and chaos. Would do better by signing a settlement with the Government and get money/assets they could put to use to help their people. But they don't care, are too silly and would just waste it. Pathetic.
    Don't see the MP for Northland bothering himself with this too much though !!

And daytr saying Key is outstaying his welcome in the job. Excuse me but how is that possible for a democratically elected Leader who also has the backing of his own party, the Governing party ? I assume daytr will repeat that after Key easily wins the next election as well !

westerly
    NZ is according to the CNN hit list the country with the 7th highest minimum wage in the world. And that's what you call "well down"?

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/eco...-world/?iid=EL
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    NZ is according to the CNN hit list the country with the 7th highest minimum wage in the world. And that's what you call "well down"?

I've just looked at Westerley's list where we are 'well down' (according to Westerley) We're about forth or fifth from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

If you look at the OECD statistics for the real minimum wage after taxes NZ drops to 17th. Australia is still top.

Lower paid are heavily taxed in NZ by comparison with other countries. Bill has to get the money from somewhere having reduced higher tax rates.

westerly

Legend

If you look at the OECD statistics for the real minimum wage after taxes NZ drops to 17th. Australia is still top.

Lower paid are heavily taxed in NZ by comparison with other countries. Bill has to get the money from somewhere having reduced higher tax rates.

westerly
    Look at Wikipedia international currency adjusted column. We are well above 17th.More important than all this is the simple fact that neither you, or I, have ever been to a country with a better standard of living in general, including for those on minimum wage (and all the subsidies and WFF etc). So stop grizzling.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Look at Wikipedia international currency adjusted column. We are well above 17th.More important than all this is the simple fact that neither you, or I, have ever been to a country with a better standard of living in general, including for those on minimum wage (and all the subsidies and WFF etc). So stop grizzling.
    Norway, Singapore, Denmark, Sweden, Canada??

Advanced Member

Is it not ironic that the face of the TPP protest, featured on the Herald on line, is wearing a New York Yankees baseball cap and has his fist clenched in that most American symbol. His message is not there but I suspect it is "we hate (and envy) just about everything American except all the rubbish that most thinking Americans hate themselves".