sharetrader
Page 950 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 450850900940946947948949950951952953954960100010501450 ... LastLast
Results 9,491 to 9,500 of 16077

And FP its a shame you don't want to go to Waitangi on the day as perhaps you would see what it s really about rather than judging it from a two minute clip on the news. I saw Key arrive two years ago and I saw how the local elders looked after him and ensured he was respected as a honorary guest. Sure there are protests & there is nothing wrong with that & some years a lot more intense than others. Otherwise it's quite a festive atmosphere with the massive wakas, kapa haka & music & food.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Dilettante

I thought David Seymours article in the Sunday Star Times today about Waitangi Day is interesting and probably how most Kiwis feel. Loved his suggestion that the Christchurch nurse probably imported the dildo she threw at Joyce, under Labour's NZ-China FTA :-)

You are probably right Iceman, but its unfortunate that Waitangi is judged by a two minute news clip that only shows the controversy.
    And most Kiwi's haven't actually been there to experience what its really about.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Actually I just saw the Prime news headlines round up stating that Waitangi Day had a festive atmosphere.
    Obviously something sinister there... ;-)

Advanced Member

I sat with a group of people of mixed races on Saturday and the consensus, regardless or race or political leaning, was that The performance at Waitangi was a disgrace and a complete turn-off for most people including Maori. The commentator who suggested in the Herald that it did more to bolster support for the TPP agreement than anything else is right.

What performance? The one off individual that threw a dido? You are speaking for Māori now ?! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    I sat with a group of people of mixed races on Saturday and the consensus, regardless or race or political leaning, was that The performance at Waitangi was a disgrace and a complete turn-off for most people including Maori. The commentator who suggested in the Herald that it did more to bolster support for the TPP agreement than anything else is right.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    westerly, just because you are politically one eyed does not mean everybody else is as well.

Unions in itself are just an instrument to allow individuals with limited bargaining power to increase this power as a collective. This is good if they correct this way an obvious and unfair imbalance of power (like during the industrialisation). It is bad, if they abuse this power to further blackmail, corruption and crime (quite the standard in some industries in Australia and the US) or if they abuse this power to ruin corporations (British rail springs to mind - forcing the company to have a fireman twiggling his thumbs on the diesel locomotive) or just look at the ugly power games in even our harbours ... unions just love to play god with the fate of corporations and don't care how many workplaces they destroy to further their own selfish course.

I don't support or oppose the idea of unions more or less than I oppose or support the idea of corporations / church groups /religions or governments ... they all started probably with a good cause, but as soon as they have too much power many of them turn ugly. They all need a tight control ... and that's all I ask for.
    Your rhetoric is rather amusing at times. I am politically one eyed but you are not?
    I neither support Labour or National but will decide at the next election who I will vote for. (a swinging voter) I think National are implementing policies that reflect the further right side of the party while appearing to be more centrist. Labour are in a difficult position in that they have been under continual attack (dirty politics) by activists from the right side of the political spectrum making it hard for any leader to cement his position. Your continual snide comments (pope Little, Aunt Helen, etc) do little to advance your arguments.
    As for unions, it is ok to have Federated Farmers, Chambers of Commerce, Employers & Manufacturers Assoc. and other lobby groups but not for workers to counteract these influential lobby groups,
    Corporations of course are paragons of virtue. Volkswagon. Goldman Sachs, ( near $20 billion in fines) spring to mind, not forgetting our own Air NZ partially Govt. owned and fined $7.5 million for price fixing, and the local finance coy. debacle. By comparison NZ unions do well.

“And they all need tight control and thats all I ask for“ Yeah, but not with your tax dollars.

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    You are probably right Iceman, but its unfortunate that Waitangi is judged by a two minute news clip that only shows the controversy.
    And most Kiwi's haven't actually been there to experience what its really about.
    Most kiwis (plural - non possessive, does not require an apostrophe, but it's - a contraction of it is does: no need to thank me for the lesson even though I know you will want to) don't live anywhere near the place.

You remind me of half my teachers at school, they put me to sleep as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Most kiwis (plural - non possessive, does not require an apostrophe, but it's - a contraction of it is does: no need to thank me for the lesson even though I know you will want to) don't live anywhere near the place.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    You remind me of half my teachers at school, they put me to sleep as well.
    Obviously.