sharetrader
Page 975 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 475875925965971972973974975976977978979985102510751475 ... LastLast
Results 9,741 to 9,750 of 16077
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Major von Tempsky View Post
    Sad, sad, sad. People who neither study economics nor reflect deeply enough.

When I studied economics a topic one week and in the textbooks was the fallacy that we are all doomed because of the National Debt and that it needs to be paid back. One immediate cogent point was to look at who owned the National Debt. It was mostly owned by Government Depts and Govt Trading Corporations and a large part by outfits investing to provide for pensions and retirements.

Occasionally in the economic cycle the Government or Reserve Bank may purchase National Debt to provide liquidity. The National Debt is recycled on terms and conditions by the Reserve Bank seeking to influence economic liquidity.

In any case I'm most surprised to see a Labour supporter criticizing the National Debt when it particularly balloons under Labour Governments seeking to finance extravagant promises!
    Prove your last sentence MVT.

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    elZorro, you should watch "Posh Pawn" on one of the channels to learn that even the most successful people and businesses borrow money as a growth strategy, it is a fundamental principle of economic management. It only becomes a problem when you get an outfit like Labour who use the resource to buy votes and favours. Most NZ families will borrow what amounts to several years salary to purchase a home. Some may also borrow to buy a car or a boat. Except that large group, mostly Labour supporters who will apply for a state house and then moan because it is not up to standard. I may have been an illegal immigrant, and many other things but I don't have a mortgage or any debt on my cars or boat and my children are all better off than I ever was. Oh! I forgot. I bought a chainsaw on tic last month, but that will be paid for this month from the several cords of wood I cut.
    I'm alright jack.

westerly

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by westerly View Post
    I'm alright jack.

westerly
    We'll all be quite happy for you then. Chuffed in fact.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    We'll all be quite happy for you then. Chuffed in fact.
    I think he means "keep your hands off of my stack", ironically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbbuaIA3Ds
    Last edited by elZorro; 07-03-2016 at 09:42 PM.

In any case I'm most surprised to see a Labour supporter criticizing the National Debt when it particularly balloons under Labour Governments seeking to finance extravagant promises

my response

Robert David Muldoon

Legend

No response from MVT? well that would be because it was an utter lie, without basis. Just put out there in the hope that it might stick. In fact, the opposite is more like the truth.

What does everyone think about the idea of having to state your snapper count every time you go fishing? Is this the ultimate nanny state or what? Managed freshwater fisheries sometimes have DOC staff running surveys, and use those to build a picture based on licence numbers. But this is another thing altogether.

Despite their good name, I see the hand of the Goodfellow family in this. Peter is still the president of the National Party, the family are big shareholders in Sanford, and that seems to be where this 'control freak' idea has turned up from. Nick Smith, who doesn't look to have ever gone fishing, is trying to make it sound like a good idea.

This is a great policy for losing National votes, so in that way, I'm all for it.

Meanwhile, Fonterra is in the news again, and not in a good way. Finally those draconian terms of trade I mentioned a while ago are getting a public airing. I think big firms heavily underestimate the value of goodwill from smaller suppliers. That goodwill is staring to disappear, some firms are not going to show up to help keep their gear running if they have to wait 3 months for payment. Fonterra must think their non-farming suppliers have high margins. Generally they don't, they've been screwed down in the first place before gaining the work, and are then reluctant to increase prices with a big customer.
    Last edited by elZorro; 09-03-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Advanced Member

The "loss" of National votes based on your conspiracy theory about the snapper catch reporting which is little more than a proposal for discussion is more than made up for by a leader who, when he delivers one of his blinding responses in the house, has to read it, word for word, from a sheet of paper, held high in his hand. Not many oppositions get this far in time without any sign of progress and polls that show that they are probably going backwards.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post

Despite their good name, I see the hand of the Goodfellow family in this. Peter is still the president of the National Party, the family are big shareholders in Sanford, and that seems to be where this 'control freak' idea has turned up from..
    That's no more than an absurd conspiracy theory. Unless you can cite evidence it's a fairly low character attack. Doesn't do you or your cause any favours.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    That's no more than an absurd conspiracy theory. Unless you can cite evidence it's a fairly low character attack. Doesn't do you or your cause any favours.
    I'm just pointing out that the term "Nanny State" can end up biting the National Party in the backside. And that many of the National MPs, and people in power within National, appear to have more than adequate financial resources.

Do you have a big ego and the cash to go with it? Join the National Party. They'll welcome you with open arms, even if you can't swing a hammer.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    I'm just pointing out that the term "Nanny State" can end up biting the National Party in the backside. And that many of the National MPs, and people in power within National, appear to have more than adequate financial resources.

Do you have a big ego and the cash to go with it? Join the National Party. They'll welcome you with open arms, even if you can't swing a hammer.
    You are slighting the name of someone as influencing the government without offering a shred of evidence.