sharetrader
Page 983 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 483883933973979980981982983984985986987993103310831483 ... LastLast
Results 9,821 to 9,830 of 16077
    Advanced Member

The polluted rivers bit is about to be sorted by the introduction of Egyptian Dung Beetles who will roll up all the cow dung into little balls and bury it in holes in the ground. Maybe the Labour Party could do the same with some of their droppings?

Sounds as well thought out as introducing rabbits, possums or planting gorse.

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    The polluted rivers bit is about to be sorted by the introduction of Egyptian Dung Beetles who will roll up all the cow dung into little balls and bury it in holes in the ground. Maybe the Labour Party could do the same with some of their droppings?
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    Will the dung beetles sort out the multiple point source pollution from cattle urinating? I wonder. The dung beetles are a good idea though, especially in paddocks with low worm populations.

Dilettante

Hi Daytr. No I don't have the numbers for agriculture nor oil & gas, despite searching for them. But I think we all know that dairy is going through a very tough time due to fall in international milk prices, ditto oil & gas. I believe dairy exports dropped $3B last year, but despite that overall exports increased by $2.9B. That shows how resilient our economy is. Agriculture/forestry/horticulture are overall doing OK though. Areas like BOP, Hawkes Bay, Nelson/Tasman which rely heavily on primary industries such as horticulture, wine exports, forestry and fishing are doing well. I find it extraordinary how you, EZ and those opposed to John Key go to great lengths to point out anything that is negative or difficult in our economy and country, without ever acknowledging that NZ is humming along quite nicely compared to most other countries in the World. Do you blame Key for fall in oil and milk prices ????? What do you mean by Government having injected huge resources into agriculture and O&G ? Haven't they simply just facilitated good private investment into those and other industries, like good Governments should ?
    It is for this very negative attitude that the opposition can not gain any ground for over 7 years now, with one loser after another leading the Labour Party. With this attitude you have no hope of unseating Key at the next election. Pls keep it going

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Hey Iceman, what's the agricultural sector up by in the last year?
    How about oil and gas?

Both are sectors that the government has injected a huge resources into.
    The others besides roading not so much and immigration at full tilt, not so much.

I saw on the telly the other day that they are trying to plan for another 1M people Auckland by 2040.
    That should translate to an additional 2M people at least nationwide.
    Great! We can't cater for the number of people coming in now.
    And who decided that we need a much bigger population ?
    Where was that in National's policy.
    One of the great things about NZ is that it isn't over populated.
    Our record of planning to date is diabolical, is it suddenly going to get better?
    This government already shows scant regard for the environment, what will it like when there is more stress on resources?
    Last edited by iceman; 19-03-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Added sentence

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by elZorro View Post
    Will the dung beetles sort out the multiple point source pollution from cattle urinating? I wonder. The dung beetles are a good idea though, especially in pa ddocks with low worm populations.
    Robert the Bruce was inspired by a spider, Try, try, try gain. Maybe the labour party couldbe inspired by a dung beetle. If at first you don't succeed, try rolling it into a ball and burying it and try again
    Last edited by craic; 19-03-2016 at 05:52 PM. Reason: my horses won so I added a letteramissing letter

Dilettante

Got this from Brian Gaynor for you Daytr. He also points out that a big contributor to current NZ population growth is the fact that under John Key the exodus of Kiwis going to Australia, net loss of 64k in 2007/2008 for example, has stopped:

"The main movements by industry in the December 2015 quarter were:

• Construction activity increased by 2.5 per cent compared with the September quarter.

• Retail trade and accommodation was up 1.7 per cent. This was due to increased activity in accommodation, furniture, electrical and hardware retailing, and food and beverage services.

• Business services expanded by 1.5 per cent due to growth in advertising, market research and management services.

• Agriculture was down 1.7 per cent because of the decrease in sheep and beef production.

The December 2015 quarter GDP figures show that the New Zealand economy ended the year on a strong note but the dairy sector downturn is expected to have some impact in the quarters ahead.

Nevertheless, the Reserve Bank is forecasting positive economic growth for every quarter in 2016, 2017 and 2018 with the March 2016 quarter projected to grow by 0.7 per cent, the next two quarters by 0.8 per cent each and the December 2016 quarter by 0.7 per cent.

The other important economic statistic this week was the country's balance of payments or current account, which measures all of New Zealand's international receipts and payments.

New Zealand has traditionally had a current account deficit but the good news is that the annual deficit has fallen from nearly $15 billion in 2008 to under $7 billion in the latest calendar year. Any current account deficit in excess of 5 per cent of GDP is considered to be a problem and the country's current account to GDP radio was nearly 8 per cent in 2008."

From UK - Labour ahead in polls. Tories in disarray

Some guy said ' EVERY Labour MP should now UNITE to fight this vile Tory govt'

Latest polls in NZ shows Nats down - and greens/labour closing the gap

The world is gradually turning against the (choose your own description) gifts that have had there day.

Sad but can't see Labour uniting behind Little - maybe the disenchanted could unite behind Shaw.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

I have just read that the announcement of the appointment of the next Governor General will be made by the government at the end of next month. There is speculation that Jenny Shipley is in contention
    GOOD GRIEF!!!!! If John Key is seriously thinking of appointing her than common sense has deserted him

She was a lousy Prime Minister, pompous and arrogant. I dare say many who had shares in Mainzeal wont be enthusiastic either
    Last edited by Sgt Pepper; 20-03-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    I have just read that the announcement of the appointment of the next Governor General will be made by the government at the end of next month. There is speculation that Jenny Shipley is in contention
    GOOD GRIEF!!!!! If John Key is seriously thinking of appointing her than common sense has deserted him

She was a lousy Prime Minister, pompous and arrogant.
    As was the next female Prime Minister.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pepper View Post
    She was a lousy Prime Minister, pompous and arrogant.
    Sounds perfect for a Governor General.