sharetrader
Page 985 of 1608 FirstFirst ... 485885935975981982983984985986987988989995103510851485 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,850 of 16077
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by neopoleII View Post
    if labour can pull this off
    Labour considers 'universal basic income' policy
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11609094
    i will defiantly vote for them
    a free $11k each for the missus and me
    that is surely a big vote changer.
    the things we can buy with this money on top of our salaries is mind boggling.
    first thing is more property.
    It's not designed to give you more money if you are on a reasonable income. There's various versions of this idea that have been around for decades, although I don't think it's ever been implemented. (Finland are running a trial in the near future) But income tax will rise - a common suggestion is to a flat rate of around 30% The tax free money offsets the higher tax to many tax payers. It is just a redistribution - but replaces sickness benefits, unemployment benefits, superannuation payments, wwf etc. Whether you think it's a good idea or a bad one is irrelevant, because it won't happen. At least Labour, bless their socks, have introduced something that can be debated. No harm in that (except to Labour).
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 22-03-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Advanced Member

A radio reporter yesterday quoted a cost of Xbillions, which is exactly double the present welfare bill. It applies to those over the age of eighteen if implemented and is as likelyto be implemented as any of the other forms of communism.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by craic View Post
    A radio reporter yesterday quoted a cost of Xbillions, which is exactly double the present welfare bill. It applies to those over the age of eighteen if implemented and is as likelyto be implemented as any of the other forms of communism.
    It won't be double the cost. Remember it replaces a hell of a lot of current welfare and superannuation payments. However it will cost a fair amount more and it will come from tax increases from every single person earning any amount above the tax free universal benefit. Actually on 2cnd thoughts it won't cost more because it's a dead duck before it can even quack.

Guru

I think under a universal income system every man and woman over 18 gets this $200 per week, regardless of income or whether you work or not. So you can work on top of this benefit without being penalised. In theory it may be a good idea... disincentives to get back to work are gone, it simplifies all other welfare but ultimately the top earners will be subsidising this via tax and the whole tax structure will have to be re-written.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    It won't be double the cost. Remember it replaces a hell of a lot of current welfare and superannuation payments. However it will cost a fair amount more and it will come from tax increases from every single person earning any amount above the tax free universal benefit. Actually on 2cnd thoughts it won't cost more because it's a dead duck before it can even quack.
    Why would any government change? The basic system is

Middle and upper income wage and salary earners = pay the bills

Earn under 50k with kids = no tax

High net worth + income producing assets = no tax

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    The figures given were for the actual cost of paying everyone over the age of eighteen, $200 per week and the current cost of the entire welfare budget. The figure for the new system is approx. double the old. And savings on superannuation? My wife and I would receive $300+ less than we are getting now, per fortnight. We could survive but the majority of pensioners could not and the no politician could survive the blast.

Legend

The figures given were for the actual cost of paying everyone over the age of eighteen, $200 per week and the current cost of the entire welfare budget. The figure for the new system is approx. double the old. And savings on superannuation? My wife and I would receive $300+ less than we are getting now, per fortnight. We could survive but the majority of pensioners could not and the no politician could survive the blast.
    They're obviously working on a figure more like 18k. The majority of people will repay the xxk in tax plus what they are paying now plus a bit more - but Robinson has since announced it won't be accompanied with a flat tax package, so it's hard to know how he sees it working. Doesn't matter. It won't fly. No country has got it off the ground yet even though it's fashionable chat throughout Europe. I suspect they'll all be watching the Finnish experiment.

Well the fact that Shipley was never elected says something.
    Clarke lowered the national debt, had a series of surpluses.
    Was a three term prime minister and the first woman pm elected In NZ.
    Very well respected internationally and still is.
    Razor sharp intellect.
    I could go on.
    But you think she was a lousy PM & I suppose that's all that counts. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    How each attained office was not relevant. It was whether she was a lousy Prime Minister, pompous and arrogant.
    Hopefully you find my posts helpful, but in no way should they be construed as advice. Make your own decision.

Guru

if you are such a believer in her ,how come you can't even spell her name correctly.

so anyway.......
    my last post was tongue in check, but i'm glad it sparked a conversation.
    i do realize that the net winners will be those that do not, want to, or cant work.
    and the net losers will be those that work smarter,harder, or have risked or invested more into themselves.
    this "new" scheme is just another way of making wealth distribution more palatable to the sheepole masses.
    for everyone to get 11k free...... someone has to pay......... and the question is who pays and how much and at what level?
    what with gst in play now.... how high will the tax rate go on someone like a doctor, dentist, builder, lawyer, etc... 40% 50%?
    the left always said the "trickle down" system doest work.
    what will the "trickle up" tax take do to the economy to pay for 11k for every one?
    the sad fact is..... like through the last 2000 years...... you have to work to pay your way.
    there is nothing free.
    in modern times we have a political system to make sure that those who fall through the cracks get looked after....... that is fair.
    what is unfair is those "in increasing numbers" who create gaps and sit in them and collect tax payer money.
    and the political parties who exploit those who seek the gaps.
    and even more sad...... the left and right wing are doing this.