sharetrader
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by buns View Post
    Yip, a great starting point. But why look around here? As no one here has managed a sprinkling on Warren Buffet's returns, so you should start with him. Buffet actually hasn't even averaged over 20% PA, but if you look around here you will probably find people advertise them selfs returning more. Double baggers (100% returns) are the norm, with 5 or 10 (1000%) baggers around as well....Yet you don't hear when people fall on the wrong side of these risky stocks, it does happen. Don't be mislead.

In your Buffet reading you won't find TA mentioned anywhere, if you dig hard you may find a quote from him on it, and he will pretty much state its a waste of his breath.

Berkshire don't use any kind of graphical information in any reporting either. I think it comes from the same thinking they invest with, in complete understanding is key. If you understand the raw data/tables the graph will make sense in your head, but sometimes that dosent work the other way as graphs can mislead.

This sounds kind of silly in a way as I endorse graphs quite a bit at work, however in the investing world why would you want to follow or do anything which those misleaders do when you have a impeccable track record? Charts being a common language in investing, much of which many have followed into poor results.

Its kind of like the different types of Animals reacting to hunters/people. Deer who have seen it all before are scared shiitless of any thing which looks like a human, knowing anything associated with them is fearful. It's engrained in them from birth that humans mislead them into death. So even when a friendly ranger tries to approach a deer, the deer runs quick fast.

I'm probably reaching, but Berkshire using graphs could be the ranger with the value investors being the deer.
    Buns. Dude. You are the king of Metaphors

Its human nature. even honest people play up their success and play down their failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    authoritativeness.
    That was a long word Liz. In a well structured sentence too.

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    That was a long word Liz. In a well structured sentence too.
    Exactly Just making it clear which poster I was referring to.

Exactly Just making it clear which poster I was referring to.
    I think not. You are one of the sharpest knives in the drawer and Im not the only one who thinks so.

Share Collector

Thanks for the compliment, Strat. But I think that makes the point - you may rate my ability but I'm pretty frustrated with it here, still trying to edge my way, painstakingly, towards making that first $1m. Whenever some anonymous poster indicates that they've followed me into some dodgy spec trade, I know it's all going to go horribly wrong!

Super Investor

Thanks for the compliment, Strat. But I think that makes the point - you may rate my ability but I'm pretty frustrated with it here, still trying to edge my way, painstakingly, towards making that first $1m. Whenever some anonymous poster indicates that they've followed me into some dodgy spec trade, I know it's all going to go horribly wrong!
    Well who would do that? LOL

I worked out from one of your posts that you had at least 30+ years of investing still to do. Mistakes are part of the deal, get comfy where you are at. Success is about feeling positive NOW! about your expected outcomes not WHEN! you get that easy first $1m.

Oh yeah, I have added a disclaimer to my signature just incase anybody gets the wrong impression. LOL
    h2

Quote Originally Posted by h2so4 View Post
    I worked out from one of your posts that you had at least 30+ years of investing still to do. first $1m.
    In 30 years a million will get ya a bottle of milk, a packet of faggs and maybe a loaf of bread.

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    In 30 years a million will get ya a bottle of milk, a packet of faggs and maybe a loaf of bread.
    Oh great. And now it seems the govt super fund is doing worse than I am, so will be no help at all... time to take up creative arts as a hobby!

(Must be nearly old enough for Maslow to let me self-actualise?)

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    I'm sweet then, cos I'm lactose intolerant, have given up smoking, and am on a low carbohydrate diet ;-)
    Wow KW. You must be miserable. lol.
    Seriously though. Good on ya for No2 and carbs are the No1 enemy of your waist line.
    Last edited by STRAT; 31-01-2012 at 01:44 PM.