sharetrader
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I too am a complete noob. sadly Im quite a bit older than yourself, so I commend you for taking action early.

I have read and read and reread a handul of Martin Hawes' books. To start with they could've been in any foregin language, as thata all it was to me. After reading them SEVERAL times I got a fint gist of what some things meant.

I have started reading the Benjamin Graham book and parts of it make sense. Well, enough of it for me to actually understand some of the words. So now I read it and have a handful of other books near by. When something comes up I dont get or haven't heard of I can look it up in nother book and try to decipher it.

Although the B.Graham is over my head as a whole I can see the value in it and will be re-reading it numerous times in the future.

I also found the forums here, Youtube and the local library good sources of info.

Sorry if I've missed it , but where are you based ? there may be a group that gets together near you. On that note, does Wellington have a get together ?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2success View Post
    I too am a complete noob. sadly Im quite a bit older than yourself, so I commend you for taking action early.

I have read and read and reread a handul of Martin Hawes' books. To start with they could've been in any foregin language, as thata all it was to me. After reading them SEVERAL times I got a fint gist of what some things meant.

I have started reading the Benjamin Graham book and parts of it make sense. Well, enough of it for me to actually understand some of the words. So now I read it and have a handful of other books near by. When something comes up I dont get or haven't heard of I can look it up in nother book and try to decipher it.

Although the B.Graham is over my head as a whole I can see the value in it and will be re-reading it numerous times in the future.

I also found the forums here, Youtube and the local library good sources of info.

Sorry if I've missed it , but where are you based ? there may be a group that gets together near you. On that note, does Wellington have a get together ?
    I'm happy to start up the Wellington catch ups again, ill be working & back in the market soon, so keep an eye on the relevant threads, & ill post details in due course.

Great point raised there, if the books are "too hard a read" thats probably a good sign you're not ready yet!

Super Investor

Quote Originally Posted by toast2success View Post

Excellent.

Any reread is a restart and any knowledge gained is cumulative.
    Last edited by h2so4; 02-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    h2

I live in Auckland, reading seems to be the key and i'll have to go to the library and find some of these names mentioned and do what soemone said and read the first 80 pages to see if I can feel the vibe

Whitey Have a look at Kiwi Bank Notice saver bank accounts a bit more flexible than term deposits & good interest rates
    Possum The Cat

Quote Originally Posted by POSSUM THE CAT View Post
    Whitey Have a look at Kiwi Bank Notice saver bank accounts a bit more flexible than term deposits & good interest rates
    they look like a really good option for me right now. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KW View Post
    Just to be clear read the Intelligent Investor (2003) which has the commentary by Jason Zweig (640 pages) rather than the original text by Ben Graham (reprinted 2005) which has no commentary and is only 269 pages.
    Thanks for that, i'll keep you guys posted with my progress with the books

Share Collector

My favourite book is still "One Up on Wall Street" by Peter Lynch. Suits my share collector style and appreciate the fact he explains more than one type of favourite stock play. Good starting point to develop an "active investor" style for those that enjoy stock-picking on fundamentals.

Another option is to ignore all of the above and take up charting

Share Collector

Quote Originally Posted by STRAT View Post
    Another option is to ignore all of the above and take up charting
    Yes, good idea. Those of us using fundamental methods need more chartists to push share prices to silly extremes.