• Fibre uptake: 73% in UFB areas, with UFB fibre rollout now complete
    • Fibre growth: added 72,000 fibre connections in FY23, totalling 1,031,000
    • Fibre plans: 91% of residential and business connections above 300Mbps
    • Revenue: grew to $980m from $965m in FY22
    • EBIT: down to $226m from $248m in FY22
    • Net profit: down to $25m from $64m in FY22
    • Dividend: 42.5 cents per share, unimputed for FY23

Advanced Member

Not sure about the long term future for this - Spark was trumpeting they managed to move 30% of their broadband customer base to their fixed wireless product (which users their own cellular network rather than fibre), with plans to convert much more over (cutting out the main cost of providing broadband - Chorus).

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Not sure about the long term future for this - Spark was trumpeting they managed to move 30% of their broadband customer base to their fixed wireless product (which users their own cellular network rather than fibre), with plans to convert much more over (cutting out the main cost of providing broadband - Chorus).
    Well, I think about it this way. I have Fibre to my house, (I use my own router for better wifi performance in my own home) and I have had it, Fibre, for a number of years now. It's about 99% reliable, and any issues I do get seem to have more to do with my ISP than with Chorus' fiber itself. It's plenty fast enough for me too, even when I watch Netflix or YouTube or other content in 4K, I've never had any lag ever. The price seems reasonable too. And if the price I pay to my ISP is within $5 or $10 a month of everyone else, well, who cares?

So, why would I give up fixed fibre to have a wireless connection instead? What would be the problem I was trying to solve?

Even if I got pissed at my ISP and decided to go someplace else, my fixed fibre infrastructure is already in place, so why would I go wireless?

And if my experience is like most others, and my hunch is that it is, I don't think Chorus has much to worry about from wireless connections. There is room and a place in the market for both.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    Well, I think about it this way. I have Fibre to my house, (I use my own router for better wifi performance in my own home) and I have had it, Fibre, for a number of years now. It's about 99% reliable, and any issues I do get seem to have more to do with my ISP than with Chorus' fiber itself. It's plenty fast enough for me too, even when I watch Netflix or YouTube or other content in 4K, I've never had any lag ever. The price seems reasonable too. And if the price I pay to my ISP is within $5 or $10 a month of everyone else, well, who cares?

So, why would I give up fixed fibre to have a wireless connection instead? What would be the problem I was trying to solve?

Even if I got pissed at my ISP and decided to go someplace else, my fixed fibre infrastructure is already in place, so why would I go wireless?

And if my experience is like most others, and my hunch is that it is, I don't think Chorus has much to worry about from wireless connections. There is room and a place in the market for both.
    Because fixed wireless is significantly cheaper than fibre?

Guru

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/426882

Key results
    • Increase in fibre connections: by 31,000 to a total of 1,062,000
    • Fibre uptake increased to 70.6%• 25% of residential fibre connections on gigabit or higher plans
    • Operating revenue $503m (HY23: $487m)
    • EBITDA $347m (HY23: $342m)• Net profit after tax $5m (HY23: $9m)
    • Unimputed interim dividend of 19 cents per share
    • JB Rousselot steps down as CEO in April 2024. Mark Aue appointed CEO