sharetrader
Page 250 of 286 FirstFirst ... 150200240246247248249250251252253254260 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 2855

Thread: CNU - Chorus

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Have you seen the advertisements on TV promoting Chorus's askforbetter.co.nz website.

My opinion on the fibre v cellular issue; The determining factor will be the uptake of entertainment providers such as YouTube or NetFlix and the ability of the competing modes to handle the bandwidth these channels demand. At the moment I believe fibre has the edge but may be challenged by the talked about deployment of 5G cellular.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Thanks for the reply. Obviously not taking any notice of the ads but will keep an eye out. I wouldn't be surprised if Spark sales reps would actually dissuade people from fibre over their wireless network. Can't help think that as computers and TVs become one and the same, data and data speed will become more important and fibre might come into its own. I would have thought that Chorus should be adding connections as this is essentially its business once the infrastructure(capital spend) is in place.
    Don't mind if copper is faster as Chorus gets paid for this as well.
    Last edited by Aaron; 27-02-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Using a speed test....my VDSL Copper was slightly faster than my sons Fibre in TeAtatu.
    We were both surprised....
    You should be able to get download speeds of 20-50 megabits a second on VDSL
    I currently get about 90 on fibre.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    You should be able to get download speeds of 20-50 megabits a second on VDSL
    I currently get about 90 on fibre.
    Yes...it may well depend on the plan you are on. Don’t know. But being on VDSL/Unlimited Dara has transformed our habits. Land line is no more. Netflix, no Sky. Almost no ads as we record any free to view that we want to watch. Live sport is the biggie that we miss.

Permanent Newbie

Just putting this link here so I can find it later.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...to-old-telecom

Permanent Newbie

There was an article about unbundling the fibre network in the herald this morning. Not sure what unbundling means but think it is selling connections wholesale to the likes of spark and Vodafone.
    It will happen by 2020. Is this bad for chorus?

The share price doesn't think so.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    There was an article about unbundling the fibre network in the herald this morning. Not sure what unbundling means but think it is selling connections wholesale to the likes of spark and Vodafone.
    It will happen by 2020. Is this bad for chorus?

The share price doesn't think so.
    Unbundling fibre would be the same as unbundling copper - you would give Spare etc access to the fibre itself (and they would put their own gear on the end) rather than terminating the fibre with Chorus gear and sending them the bitstream.

Permanent Newbie

Thanks dobby.

I would have thought that if you are now selling something wholesale rather than retail it would be bad for your profitability. Obviously I don't understand telecommunications very well.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks dobby.

I would have thought that if you are now selling something wholesale rather than retail it would be bad for your profitability. Obviously I don't understand telecommunications very well.
    Chorus sell the fibre wholesale now, but they bundle their own electronics and charge for it.
    Spark are retail but are limited to the regulated offerings and what Chorus makes available.
    If you can access the fibre direct then you can offer anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Chorus sell the fibre wholesale now, but they bundle their own electronics and charge for it.
    Spark are retail but are limited to the regulated offerings and what Chorus makes available.
    If you can access the fibre direct then you can offer anything.
    So, that is potentially good news for Spark if they can generate enough new revenue off whatever new products they will be able to offer to justify the cost of attaching their own hardware etc Chorus' fibre network?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
    So, that is potentially good news for Spark if they can generate enough new revenue off whatever new products they will be able to offer to justify the cost of attaching their own hardware etc Chorus' fibre network?
    that is how unbundling works - you need to be able to save enough to pay for your own gear or have a new killer service not available from Chorus (or the other 3 LFCs).