sharetrader
Page 247 of 286 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251257 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 2855

Thread: CNU - Chorus

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Really?
    Get a tin hat - or a tin codpiece.
    Just kidding on that one but Chorus needs to educate people I think. If a Spark cold caller rings me and says "are you sick of slow unreliable internet we can help for no extra cost you can keep your landline number but it is now somehow linked to your mobile number and you get a great internet connection without all the outages from the old network". I would have said yes except I clicked that they were just trying to get me off the chorus network onto their wireless one. I guess the big question is which network is the better one to be on.
    Most people (myself included) don't give a **** about wireless, fibre, 3G, 4G, bandwidth etc etc. we just want to use the phone and internet.
    According to Horus1 above, Chorus has old technology anyway so maybe they are wasting their time with the fibre roll-out.

The Commerce Commission is proposing to deregulate service obligations for copper where there is a fibre alternative from 2020.

This enables Chorus where there is an alternative to abandon copper if it chooses.

I would not be surprised if there is a push by Chorus to switch copper holdouts to fibre before this date. There would be savings for Chorus having to run only one network. If a digger cuts your copper Chorus would likely not repair the cut and instead switch you over to fibre.

It is possible to install a voice communication device that looks like a phone and rings like a phone but is connected by fibre using current technology for those Luddites that just want a phone.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Last edited by Marilyn Munroe; 29-08-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I guess the big question is which network is the better one to be on.
    Most people (myself included) don't give a **** about wireless, fibre, 3G, 4G, bandwidth etc etc. we just want to use the phone and internet.
    According to Horus1 above, Chorus has old technology anyway so maybe they are wasting their time with the fibre roll-out.
    If you don't care about the technology (and most people won't) take what they offer and hold them to it (the reliability that is).
    Chorus fibre is fine and isn't old technology at all - nothing wrong with it. Not sure what Horus1 meant by their comment.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    It is possible to install a voice communication device that looks like a phone and rings like a phone but is connected by fibre using current technology for those Luddites that just want a phone.
    Um - it is a phone!
    May not be copper based but it is still a phone.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Question Of relevance

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Um - it is a phone!
    May not be copper based but it is still a phone.
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...20170825134685

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

My phone is connected to the Fibre box thingy on the wall so it is Voice over the internet.
    Have said previously, Spark offered and I took the mobile connection route, however the mobile connection blocked incoming access to my alarm system (could not access remotely) so changed to Fibre at their expense as they said there will be no differences, they also refunded the fee for the alarm technician to come out and try to "fix" the connection which wasn't broken!
    Once back on Fibre I fixed the alarm connection myself via the modem.

Permanent Newbie

Someone else read the herald this morning by the looks of it although Morningstar only give it a valuation of $3.90. Sold out in Sept 2015 due to uncertainty and missed a great capital gain. maybe need to look at this after GFC2.(which is right around the corner)

I have an underground copper line that's less than 10 years old (newish subdivision) and I have VDSL which basically runs at 60 downstream and is limited by CNU to 16 upstream.

It's been as high as 76 downstream and because everyone else where I live is on Fibre I don't really get contention. I can see the whisper cabinet from my doorstep so it's only copper for about 400 metres and Fibre from there. If CNU removed the limit on the upstream I'd probably get performance almost as good as most Fibre 100 connections and better than Fibre 30.

Now I have contractors ripping up the berms and digging holes everywhere to install the UFB and war signs all over the footpath and my front lawn next to the connector box. I appreciate that it's future proofing but it seems nuts right now to switch to UFB as opposed to someone removing the upstream limit for the sake of 400 metres of fibre and the cost of installation and changing over modems etc.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Someone else read the herald this morning by the looks of it although Morningstar only give it a valuation of $3.90. Sold out in Sept 2015 due to uncertainty and missed a great capital gain. maybe need to look at this after GFC2.(which is right around the corner)
    If Morningstar value it at $3.90, it must be worth more by default.

Rep , the same hapened around our streets .I will be going on wireless .Don't like chorus their service was terrible.