sharetrader
Page 164 of 286 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2855

Thread: CNU - Chorus

Banned

I'm really surprised why more people haven't queried the need for rolling out of all this fibre to the home?
    I connect via a standard vodafone copper connection and, using a VPN, watch the BBC and C4 programmes live via the 'net just as I would on broadcast TV in the UK.
    So, if I can watch HD TV live from half way around the world just why would I, and most of the rest of the NZ population want anything faster?
    Yes, I can see the requirement for a 'fatter pipe' into a business where the connection may be shared by many users but for the average home user? No way.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCross View Post
    I'm really surprised why more people haven't queried the need for rolling out of all this fibre to the home?
    I connect via a standard vodafone copper connection and, using a VPN, watch the BBC and C4 programmes live via the 'net just as I would on broadcast TV in the UK.
    So, if I can watch HD TV live from half way around the world just why would I, and most of the rest of the NZ population want anything faster?
    Yes, I can see the requirement for a 'fatter pipe' into a business where the connection may be shared by many users but for the average home user? No way.
    A political decision that was made and enacted and wont be reversed.
    I was concerned that uptake would be disappointing.
    No need to worry about this anymore.
    Com com have given chorus the perfect excuse to downgrade the copper system and put all investment in broadband

As the quality/definition of video steadily increases, so does the bandwidth required to stream it - given 5 years your copper connection won't be fast enough. And what then.. THEN we start the UFB and you have to wait 10 years for an internet connection you can do anything with? Copper is fast enough 'for now'.. but it's still slow compared to majority of developed overseas countries and will not be 'fast enough' forever. And that's just a single application i.e streaming video not to mention the countless others which will require a faster-than-copper connection

Guru

You must be lucky to live close to an exchange. Many don't - fibre will solve this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
    You must be lucky to live close to an exchange. Many don't - fibre will solve this.
    I'm not that tech savvy but upon phoning Vodafone the other day re our plan they told me we don't need to worry about copper or fibre as the coaxial cable we have is different and they can increase speed when and if they want to,help on this one please?

What's your plan called and what were you wanting to know/what were you asking them?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    What's your plan called and what were you wanting to know/what were you asking them?
    Will need to have a look, I asked them about copper and they told me there cable is not copper and there would be no need to get fibre using there system?

That would be the Telstra cable lines they bought I think, only in specific areas. Most others would ve covered by copper broadband, copper vdsl or fibre

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    That would be the Telstra cable lines they bought I think, only in specific areas. Most others would ve covered by copper broadband, copper vdsl or fibre
    Clip yes it is a Telstra cable,does that mean they can increase our speed to match or exceed fibre?

I've said this before, try being in a business that relies on good internet speeds, its soooo frustrating.

I work for an eLearning design company and we move gigs and gigs of files a day back and forwards from the cloud (large uncompressed development and design files), it takes a couple of minutes each time you want to grab something, multiply this across tens and tens of projects, and tens and tens of people and its a massive waste of productivity.

Skype (or GoToMeeting etc). Don't even get me started, we do a lot of international calls with clients and other businessess, its embarrassing - "it's not usually this bad with other vendors" "yeah sorry, New Zealand internet's a bit useless, perhaps lets just have this conversation by email". Then you get the flow on effects of working across cultures and not picking up on subtleties that you would have got in a clean video conversation.

Uptake may be a little slow, but the requirement is definitely there.