sharetrader
Page 169 of 286 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 2855

Thread: CNU - Chorus

Advanced Member

I am writing this off now, partly on expert advice related to telecommunications systems but mostly because I am 76 years old and I prefer to have my profits now to spend on all the excesses that we oldies get into rather than wait for that lot to make a profit. There si also the likelihood that aerial transmission - no fibres,no copper - could suddenly bypass the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by belgarion View Post
    Where can I buy into that technology? Or even better an authoritative link of substance to understand it better. Many thanks.
    I went to a few conferences about the "aerial transmission" that I presume Craic is quoting, not sure if that is the correct terminology. However they were a couple of years ago now and I am 100% sure they actually involved connection by optic fibre.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Heffner View Post
    I went to a few conferences about the "aerial transmission" that I presume Craic is quoting, not sure if that is the correct terminology. However they were a couple of years ago now and I am 100% sure they actually involved connection by optic fibre.
    I know of one company that investigated home broadband via 4G but that still used a fibre from the towers (there were lots of towers for Auckland). It wasn't viable without a 30%+ market share.

And currently using 4G on my iPad this holiday, the cost is prohibitive for a home based solution.

Advanced Member

When I first came here, a phone call to home cost several pounds a minute. My early video player cost $3,500 and so it goes. By the time CNU is starting to look like making money from its fibre, the will be something else.

Banned

Who would have thought that PEB shares would be worth the same as CNU at this stage,6 months ago, spot the lemon

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Who would have thought that PEB shares would be worth the same as CNU at this stage,6 months ago, spot the lemon
    Hi couta1,
    Don't want to caution your optimism re PEB (and this is the wrong thread for that anyway), however .. just remember the rising stars of PEB and GEN (both hit at some stage more than $5 after a spectacular rise, leaving the boring CNU's and TEL's of this world behind them. I hope PEB won't come back that hard than GEN and RAK did, but at this stage the only thing people are paying for is a story.

Re CNU (now it is the right thread ): Last years share performance was admittedly disappointing and the board performance was weak at best. On the other hand - the writing was on the wall ... and I think that at current levels the share is (long term) a steal. Chorus owns the lions share of the New Zealand communications backbone. Any telecom provider (and any technology) needs to use their fibre network (unless we move exclusively to satellite technology which is ultra expensive and slow). How can they long-term be a lemon?

discl: hold CNU
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 07-01-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Not sure CNU is a lemon, political interference made it a dog, I got out on the first whiff of that luckily, but I think ufb is here to stay and most of the younger ones cant wait, faster gaming, movie downloads, and all the rest will ensure that. Wether the CNU price will come right, and when who knows.

Veteran novice

How can they long-term be a lemon?
    Perhaps not exactly "a lemon". But as a regulated monopoly they will always be subject to a heavy hand over their profitability.

I'm picking it will rise upon announcement of contract renegotiation with CFH, which the government wanted to see completed "early in the new year". Does anyone know when that is roughly or exactly?

Advanced Member

The rellie of mine who advised me on CNU right at the start was an engineer, right up there on the right hand of God as far as
    telecom and telecommunications were concerned and he went to many odd corners of the world with his trade on behalf of the NZ Govt. He is also leading figure in the ham radio world even in his retirement. I must ask him about the future of unwired communications. I have a son who is a senior Data Systems Architect for the Bank of America and he may know more about the immediate future than most. But my grandson, who at nine years has just passed his 11+ exam for a top London school, will probably be laughing at the lot of us in another 10 years.